Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed! - Page 8 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed!

Old 05-05-2015, 01:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What is it like working in edb for non-grads? I went to their career portal & there are many bachelors position available but only few vacancies for diploma positions. Any non-grads working there to give some insight on working life in there??
There are many scholars in EDB, not a good place for non-grads to work long-term.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Unregistered

I need some opinion from the crowd.

To give a brief context, I graduated with a pre-experience Masters in local U with Dean's list. I read my postgrad in business. For undergrad, I read my bachelor's in SIT and hence am unsure if it's recognized as a private or local U. I did diploma in supply chain management.

I usually get called up for interviews but always fail to secure the job. I applied to economic development SBs such as MTI, STB, EDB, IE Sing, Spring and have always successfully pass through to the second/last round before getting rejected. My O level grades are sub-par and I think they're hiring on a similar SOP?
Any advice if I should continue applying to the public service or just aim private sector and if so, where should I aim?

Old 05-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

To give a brief context, I graduated with a pre-experience Masters in local U with Dean's list. I read my postgrad in business. For undergrad, I read my bachelor's in SIT and hence am unsure if it's recognized as a private or local U. I did diploma in supply chain management.

I usually get called up for interviews but always fail to secure the job. I applied to economic development SBs such as MTI, STB, EDB, IE Sing, Spring and have always successfully pass through to the second/last round before getting rejected. My O level grades are sub-par and I think they're hiring on a similar SOP?
Any advice if I should continue applying to the public service or just aim private sector and if so, where should I aim?
Sorry to say but you probably didn't perform well during the interview and/or writing test.

The fact that these agencies shortlisted you means that your qualifications were recognised to meet the requirements of the position.

At the interview stage, they are looking for qualities beyond the academic qualifications.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Ur qualifications, results, uni, are all cleared if u r shortlisted for an interview
Old 05-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sorry to say but you probably didn't perform well during the interview and/or writing test.

The fact that these agencies shortlisted you means that your qualifications were recognised to meet the requirements of the position.

At the interview stage, they are looking for qualities beyond the academic qualifications.
Thank you for shedding some light.

I really doubt that I failed the writing tests as most of my applications failed after my submission of the written essays. For the most recent application,

Phone interview -> Passed and set up for next interview. Issued essay topic and personality test.
1st interview - > discussed my essay and passed, issued case study ppt
2nd interview -> discussed ppt, passed and set up final interview
last interview -> ended interview and was asked to select referee after interview. (submitted final documents as per their requests)

Referee was not even called and was immediately rejected.
It's hard to find closure getting rejected so abruptly (just 1 working day after) without a proper reason. Cited 'can't find a fit'.

Lose out to another candidate? but on 4-5 similar occasions?
Old 05-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

I really doubt that I failed the writing tests as most of my applications failed after my submission of the written essays. For the most recent application,

Phone interview -> Passed and set up for next interview. Issued essay topic and personality test.
last interview -> ended interview and was asked to select referee after interview. (submitted final documents as per their requests)

It's hard to find closure getting rejected so abruptly (just 1 working day after) without a proper reason. Cited 'can't find a fit'.

Perhaps you can call up HR and see if they are willing to share the reason. Some friendly ones may tell you.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:46 PM
Unregistered

My two cents:

Having been on the other side of the hiring process a few times (not the boss but the notetaker), there could be a few reasons why you failed to clinch the job at the last round. The few times that my bosses were not keen on hiring someone is due to the "attitude" that the candidate showed. All things being equal, employers are more likely to hire someone who is willing to admit they do not know everything and who displays a keen and willing sense to learn, unlearn, and relearn. What turns employers off is those who pretend they know everything and try too hard to impress. Having a sincere and humble attitude often works, especially if one doesn't have much working experience in the field one is applying in. Show that you may not know all, but are willing to try to find out from others and learn. The point is that if you do not display the right attitude during the interview, chances are you are unlikely to fit into the office and team culture and will be more trouble than you're worth. Especially in the civil service, the ability to be a good team player is very crucial.

The other reason could be that the places you applied to are simply very competitive so the employers have the luxury to pick the cream of the crop. In this case, take it in your stride coz there will always be someone better than you so don't take it to heart.

Sometimes, timing is another factor too. Between Mar-Jul, there are many fresh grads competing for jobs, so the playing field is definitely more crowded. If you can afford to wait, try the "off peak" period from Aug-Feb where the competition may be less keen.

Keep trying and all the best!

Quote:

Old 07-05-2015, 10:06 PM

SG_User is on a distinguished road

IRAS? Good?
Old 11-05-2015, 09:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Any reason why you're applying to economic agencies only? Competition is stiff, so it is pretty hard to enter these agencies. My advise to you will be to stop applying for these agencies, unless you have relevant experiences for the role you're applying for.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:19 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Its probably your interview skills that need a boost. The fact that they called you in for interview means that there's probably nothing wrong with your paper qualifications. If you were lacking in your paper qualifications, they wont even call you up for an interview.