Rich kids do better - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Rich kids do better

Old 17-10-2009, 01:31 AM
Unregistered

Nothing is fair. If all kids are equal, all will be given an equal chance of sending their kids to which ever primary schools they want under ballot system and there will be no prestigious primary schools like Nanyang Primary, Raffles girls or ACS where priorty admission are given to the rich who can afford houses within 1km from the school.

But the good thing is at least all the kids still sit for the same PSLE and O level and the less well to do kids can still do well and study in a prestigious secondary school or college if he/she is smarter or luckier or more hardworking than the richer kids who already has an edge by given the opportunity to study in the top primary school.

Old 17-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nothing is fair. If all kids are equal, all will be given an equal chance of sending their kids to which ever primary schools they want under ballot system and there will be no prestigious primary schools like Nanyang Primary, Raffles girls or ACS where priorty admission are given to the rich who can afford houses within 1km from the school.

But the good thing is at least all the kids still sit for the same PSLE and O level and the less well to do kids can still do well and study in a prestigious secondary school or college if he/she is smarter or luckier or more hardworking than the richer kids who already has an edge by given the opportunity to study in the top primary school.
The converse is also true: rich kids who fail are doubly less smart and doubly less hardworking than poor ones who fail. They're given all the opportunities to succeed, and yet they fail. But then again, their rich parents will argue that their rich kids had it too easy, and should have been made to go through the hardships that poorer kids go through.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 19-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Unregistered

admin, I feel for you. Everybody here seems to be somehow missing your point But then again, somehow a lot of people have a tendency to miss the point when it comes to discussions like this.

What some of you guys are saying here is like: in a race between Ferrari Enzo and Ford Pinto, if the Ferrari owner never bother to step on the gas and never maintain the car properly, the Ford Pinto driver who maintains it in excellent shape and step on the gas can win. Which is true! But don't you see how blardy-missing-the-point the argument is?

Somehow if people talk about how coming from a rich family gives you an advantage, or being good looking gives you an advantage, people JUST! CAN'T! STOP! spewing exactly this kind of arguments.

Old 19-10-2009, 12:52 PM

Husky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
admin, I feel for you. Everybody here seems to be somehow missing your point But then again, somehow a lot of people have a tendency to miss the point when it comes to discussions like this.

What some of you guys are saying here is like: in a race between Ferrari Enzo and Ford Pinto, if the Ferrari owner never bother to step on the gas and never maintain the car properly, the Ford Pinto driver who maintains it in excellent shape and step on the gas can win. Which is true! But don't you see how blardy-missing-the-point the argument is?

Somehow if people talk about how coming from a rich family gives you an advantage, or being good looking gives you an advantage, people JUST! CAN'T! STOP! spewing exactly this kind of arguments.
LoL... It comes in various forms... Part of my job involves informing people about the risks of smoking and helping them to quit. Every other smoker I counsel will tell me, "Eh, you say smoking increases the risks of cancer and blah blah... I know of ONE uncle who smoke two packs a day and live to 90!"

To which I will reply... I know of one fellow who never bothers to look before he cross the roads... somehow he is still alive... celebrating his 50th birthday next week... Does that somehow encourage you to cross the road blindfolded from now on???
Old 19-10-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salary.sg View Post
As alluded to by SMA chairman Dr Wong Chiang Yin in his ST article last year, rich kids tend to speak better and hence can perform better during interviews.
Rich kids do better | Salary.sg - Your Salary in Singapore
On a related note... I was just talking to my girlfriend about the subjects that we used to take in school last time.

She lamented that she never had a good science teacher who knew how to pepper the lessons with interesting real life examples of applications but instead made them memorise formulas and definitions... That killed off whatever little interests in science tat she had...

Then I remembered facing the same situation with literature and languages...

Oh well. Our conclusion was that... if you were rich and could afford to find a good tutor... it would have made a hell lot of difference... Unfortunately I was an orphan and and prospective father in law just another HDB heartlander...
Old 19-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
On a related note... I was just talking to my girlfriend about the subjects that we used to take in school last time.

She lamented that she never had a good science teacher who knew how to pepper the lessons with interesting real life examples of applications but instead made them memorise formulas and definitions... That killed off whatever little interests in science tat she had...

Then I remembered facing the same situation with literature and languages...

Oh well. Our conclusion was that... if you were rich and could afford to find a good tutor... it would have made a hell lot of difference... Unfortunately I was an orphan and and prospective father in law just another HDB heartlander...
Agree. Poor kids will need some luck to get good teachers or good classmates who can inspire them and spur them on to great heights. I had the good fortune of having some great teachers and classmates when I was in school. Otherwise I would have been just another mediocre student. But I did have a small share of bad luck - my bad chemistry teacher killed my interest in Sec 3/4 and I had to give up my dream (at that time) of becoming a doctor.

Old 19-10-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Agree. Poor kids will need some luck to get good teachers or good classmates who can inspire them and spur them on to great heights. I had the good fortune of having some great teachers and classmates when I was in school. Otherwise I would have been just another mediocre student. But I did have a small share of bad luck - my bad chemistry teacher killed my interest in Sec 3/4 and I had to give up my dream (at that time) of becoming a doctor.
Hahaha... nowadays to get into NUS Medicine no need triple science liao... Also there's the Duke Graduate Medical School, you can still fulfill your doctor dream... lol

I didn't do well in lower sec, got a lousy subject combi in upper sec and couldn't qualify for triple science in JC... back then, no triple science in JC = no admission to NUS Medicine. ended up as a Pharmacist in the end. But after working in hospital for a year, watching how the doctors slog their life away, I am pretty glad I am not one...
Old 28-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Verified Member

poor is on a distinguished road

actually everyone is aware of this statement "Rich kids do better". that's the reason why everyone here is looking for higher leaving value for youself or the future generation.

we will never like to see our future generation to grow up at similar or worse condition compare to us, as we gone through the process that with limited $ things are limited, resource are limited, without $, equipment & tools limited ; thinking let your child to be like Tiger Woods but can't afford golf set for him!!!

talented children need outer factors to assist them to build up however economy is one of the factor, but it is not the most influence factor. guidance and education is the counter part of it. spoiled children from rich family failed to balanced those factors which parents need to know the way out of it.... remember each different children need different formula from these factors as each individual is different. some can excel with very limited economy back ground, but some need extreme $$.

however the society now days change most of the nature of kids to very pro with $$ factor, the good way to counter it is - try to let your children know that "money is very hard to earn" (although may be for some of us here seems easy). " teach the children to appreciate on what they have"

tell you it works