what kind of job is this? stay or go? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

what kind of job is this? stay or go?

Old 12-01-2015, 02:01 AM

cutmesomeslack is on a distinguished road
Default what kind of job is this? stay or go?

i am jobless for a year and was looking for an unpaid internship. so my friend referred me in last month, since the big boss was looking for people to start on a future venture.

the big boss says he needs help for his venture, from programming to management to operations. since he's not making money now, he cannot pay me. so i said yes, i am willing to learn in the meantime, can do all the stuffs he mentioned, and not getting paid.

so for the past month i have been coming in and learning from this staff. but he haven assigned any tasks to me. maybe he's busy to find something for me to do. only a few days back he told me he doesn't know what to do with me, and said I could sit beside one of his staff and offer help wherever necessary.

So now in a dilemma. On one hand i enjoy coming to his office to learn, since from my past experience it relates to his future venture and I can offer help from front office to back office. His future venture looks promising and maybe that will lead to a full time job. On the other hand, he doesn't seem to appreciate my efforts and skills. I will be helping his inexperienced staff to improve his operations and future venture.

If you're in this situation, would you stay on or leave?

Old 12-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutmesomeslack View Post
i am jobless for a year and was looking for an unpaid internship. so my friend referred me in last month, since the big boss was looking for people to start on a future venture.

the big boss says he needs help for his venture, from programming to management to operations. since he's not making money now, he cannot pay me. so i said yes, i am willing to learn in the meantime, can do all the stuffs he mentioned, and not getting paid.

so for the past month i have been coming in and learning from this staff. but he haven assigned any tasks to me. maybe he's busy to find something for me to do. only a few days back he told me he doesn't know what to do with me, and said I could sit beside one of his staff and offer help wherever necessary.

So now in a dilemma. On one hand i enjoy coming to his office to learn, since from my past experience it relates to his future venture and I can offer help from front office to back office. His future venture looks promising and maybe that will lead to a full time job. On the other hand, he doesn't seem to appreciate my efforts and skills. I will be helping his inexperienced staff to improve his operations and future venture.

Dude ur just some free guy hanging around that he cannot even be bothered to get you to do anything. Technically you are not even part of the company - what stay or leave are you talking about?

If you really so free and nothing to do, just hang around the office lor. At least if interviewer ask you what you doing now can say "helping out a family business".

Old 12-01-2015, 03:56 PM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

Agree with the reply that you are a free hand hence the boss doesnt bother with you.

U should go get a real job even a blue collar work.
Just do something that pays and in sg, there are really a lot of blue collar work. Eg Go and work Macdonalds .
I know some will say not relevant to area of study etc, but I disagree.
Learning about speaking to people , serving them is also an experience.
Pick up how to speak to older colleagues etc. And Eg if you land a job in Relationship Manager in bank after that, honestly, the skills in dealing with such older colleagues and speaking in the local dialects will come in handy.

Quote:

Old 12-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

I'd say just stay there and try learn stuff yourself if they not teaching you. Or use the time to search for other jobs while idling. At least you get an aircon-ed place and probably a free internet-connected computer to look for job, right?
Old 13-01-2015, 07:55 AM

cutmesomeslack is on a distinguished road

appreciate the replies. wish i could have any of those jobs u guys suggested. a year of endless interviews only to have it go to "the other better candidate". worked once in a hawker center, but the stall owner told me he like to hire aunties as they are better at attracting and talking to customers and have children to feed.

yeah basically im learning so much as i can while searching. transportation fees and lunch money is eating up my budget. just wondering what would u guys do.
Old 13-01-2015, 10:10 AM
Unregistered

forget about this nonsense no pay do nothing sit in office job, the boss is just stringing you along. you are just wasting transport and eat out $$$ on nothing.

there are so many retail outlets putting up ads for shop assistant just go to any shopping mall and start walking in each outlet with an ad, most accept walk in interview. i find it hard to believe you cannot get anything given the massive labour shortage in F&B retail unless you are really facially ugly or zero social skills.

Old 13-01-2015, 10:50 PM
Unregistered

Some information about your background and skills would help us to understand your situation