Unhappy in new job - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Unhappy in new job

Old 01-12-2014, 11:42 AM

Jinnous is on a distinguished road
Default Unhappy in new job

I recently changed job and 1 week into the job my lady boss spoke to me about some pointers and I got a shock about 1 thing which she mentioned. She said that she doesn't want me to bring any backstabbing and politicking to her office. And that she would not hesitate to issue me a warning letter if Im found to have done it.

I'm pretty perturbed because I was just 5 days into the job and I have not spoken anything except some chats during lunch with my new colleagues. After I tried to think back, I'm not sure if my colleagues were offended with what I said over one part. We were just chatting how long I worked in my ex-comp and they in their current jobs. Most have worked over 14 years. (I'm in the education industry) so out of curiosity I asked why didn't they look for jobs? And since they don't have children there's no liabilities. I meant it as a discussion like they were joking it was a 7 year itch for me because I left after having stayed 7 years with my ex-comp. is this a norm? I mean talking to newbies about backstabbing and politicking. And could it be someone carried tales back to the boss? But wouldn't that look like backstabbing too?

Also, I realized Im not really happy in my current job. From where I come from, we were quite flexible and noisy environment. But my current workplace, the boss is quite strict, esp with punctuality and other things and I find that it's very restrictive. And I didn't know the environment is so serious either. I tried to make small talk but it seemed we are unable to click. I'm probably the youngest employee there.

I'm starting to look for a job but I know it looks pretty ugly on my resume that I'm looking for a job just two weeks into a new job. Is it advisable or should I bite and stick to at least 3 months? I'm trying to stay positive but it's pretty demoralizing hearing that from my boss.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Unregistered

As a rule of thumb, unless you are already financially independent, NEVER quit without first finding a job. You will spend all the days at home cold sweating waiting for interview calls and trust me, it will be worse than anything your boss can throw at you.

Just continue applying and hope for the best. Many bosses and companies are very strict in terms of discipline and politically correct when it comes to small talk, do not assume everywhere is like your former company where you can just brother brother crack jokes and make insinuations of quitting to anyone you hardly know.

Treat this as a lesson learnt. Anyway so far other than stiff culture, at least there is no unreasonable behaviour from boss or colleagues in terms of work, so you should try and get use to it and slowly take your time to assess your options.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinnous View Post
I recently changed job and 1 week into the job my lady boss spoke to me about some pointers and I got a shock about 1 thing which she mentioned. She said that she doesn't want me to bring any backstabbing and politicking to her office. And that she would not hesitate to issue me a warning letter if Im found to have done it.

I'm pretty perturbed because I was just 5 days into the job and I have not spoken anything except some chats during lunch with my new colleagues. After I tried to think back, I'm not sure if my colleagues were offended with what I said over one part. We were just chatting how long I worked in my ex-comp and they in their current jobs. Most have worked over 14 years. (I'm in the education industry) so out of curiosity I asked why didn't they look for jobs? And since they don't have children there's no liabilities. I meant it as a discussion like they were joking it was a 7 year itch for me because I left after having stayed 7 years with my ex-comp. is this a norm? I mean talking to newbies about backstabbing and politicking. And could it be someone carried tales back to the boss? But wouldn't that look like backstabbing too?

Also, I realized Im not really happy in my current job. From where I come from, we were quite flexible and noisy environment. But my current workplace, the boss is quite strict, esp with punctuality and other things and I find that it's very restrictive. And I didn't know the environment is so serious either. I tried to make small talk but it seemed we are unable to click. I'm probably the youngest employee there.

I'm starting to look for a job but I know it looks pretty ugly on my resume that I'm looking for a job just two weeks into a new job. Is it advisable or should I bite and stick to at least 3 months? I'm trying to stay positive but it's pretty demoralizing hearing that from my boss.
Here is what I think. The company that you have joined is a tight-knit family and the boss values her team. A new person comes in to the company and makes him/herself right at home and starts asking provocative questions like,

Quote:
I asked why didn't they look for jobs? And since they don't have children there's no liabilities.
I am sure your colleagues would have been feeling like, what is this newcomer doing, asking/encouraging us to leave? I am sure the boss might have casually asked them how the new joiner is doing, and this probably came up.

You can't consider yourself at the same level as your colleagues who have stayed with the company (probably through thick and thin) for 14 years. What they say to the boss won't be regarded as backstabbing as what you said to them. Their words backed by 14 years of loyalty, as compared to your 5 days of service and already thinking of leaving.

If you felt your company is so much better, why leave in the first place? You cannot expect to bring your previous company's culture to your new workplace. No one owes you that, even if you were headhunted which I highly doubt.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:07 PM

Jinnous is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. Yes, other than the stiff culture, everyone's pretty okay. Just that they just keep to themselves. And I feel pressured too because they stayed back late almost everyday to work while I leave on the dot. It makes me feel uncomfortable because it seemed like I should stay too. This industry is supposed to be a family oriented company.

I spoke to my hb and he said I should learn to adapt. But having said that, he knows I'm unhappy with the work culture. I'm not calling it quits yet because I still need to feed myself.

Just want to know if anyone found a new job after two weeks on a new job and what did you say to your new employers.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, other than the stiff culture, everyone's pretty okay. Just that they just keep to themselves. And I feel pressured too because they stayed back late almost everyday to work while I leave on the dot. It makes me feel uncomfortable because it seemed like I should stay too. This industry is supposed to be a family oriented company.

I spoke to my hb and he said I should learn to adapt. But having said that, he knows I'm unhappy with the work culture. I'm not calling it quits yet because I still need to feed myself.

Just want to know if anyone found a new job after two weeks on a new job and what did you say to your new employers.
I hated my current job after 1 week. I knew immediately the culture is not a match for me...though contrary to your case I prefer a more 'strict', quiet type of environment and the environment of my job is quite relaxed and lots of small talk and joking around during work, which I hate, and can't get along on the same wavelength as most of my colleagues.

I tried to look for other jobs since then, but didn't quit. It's been around 8 months and I only had around 5 interviews/written tests and only 1 offer. It's a tough job market now, but also depends on your industry I guess.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Unless you are a hot potato well known in your profession, I doubt you are going to clinch an offer in the next 1-2 mths or so. Better to make do with what you have and just patiently trudge along waiting for a good offer.

Btw, your "joke" to people you hardly know is done in bad taste. Unless its the kind of industry where everyone knows everyone will be going off in a year or 2, you really shouldn't say this kind of thing. It could get you in trouble in all sorts of places.

As for going off on time, you can try to continue do it, but be alert for any negative reaction. You don't want a case of getting terminated during probation w/o any job at hand, this will just make looking for the next job harder.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:36 PM
Unregistered

wah... come on lar... like this onli wan to quit liao?
Old 01-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Unregistered

ur this 5days next job is:

government job?
GLC
MNC
SME

?? which one
Old 01-12-2014, 10:14 PM
Unregistered

You wanna quit after 5 days because office is too quiet, boss wants you to be punctual and not play office politics?

Are you there to work or party? What a joke...
Old 01-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You wanna quit after 5 days because office is too quiet, boss wants you to be punctual and not play office politics?

Are you there to work or party? What a joke...
this. seriously, you are not happy just because of this? Your boss didn't exactly say you were playing politics either, maybe you are just thinking too much. Maybe she just decided to say that on the 5th day of work instead of the first day in case she was afraid she would scare you off, and it just coincided with the small talk you had with your colleagues.

Hey, at least your new colleagues are willing to have lunch with you. Do you know some new people who joined a company can't even get to have lunch with the old colleagues whom have been there for a long time because they already formed their own clique long ago?

Some people have lunch alone for 2-3 years plus, face all the stuff you listed above and even more ****..

Why did you even leave your old job in the first place ?