Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Civil Service Year End Bonus.

Old 28-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you guys are really Civil / Public servants, I suggest you find out from your bosses where your pay is coming from before you disgrace the CS. If he is clueless, the whole department can close down.

Taxes are collected in many forms: Individual income, businesses, ERP, COE, GST, Maid and foreign workers Levy, stamp duties and many others.

Governments get their revenues from the above taxes, borrowing (government bonds) and from investment returns to fund their operations including paying the civil servants.

Why do you think the government has to explain why Mindef paid $20K+ of public money to hire a language tutor for a foreign soldier attending a course here? Why the government has to explain the Brompton bicycle purchase processes and remove the corrupt AD? And many more

I would like to request you provide the CS or PS departments where you work in so that we can weed out the ignorant, arrogant and public-money wasting staff who spent office hours posting and boasting about their bonuses which come from the public.
Lolz.. So fierce for what? He was just explaining his point, which is not all that rubbish what. Give you public money you can do better job meh, mr arm chair critic. Pls loh, we all pay taxes, including civil and public servants. Doesnt automatically give you any right to adopt such a mightier-than-thou attitude. It is a fact that our cs and ps are known to pay good salaries. It is also a fact that our cs and ps are more efficient, less corrupt etc than most other countries (including developed ones). Everyone should just complain less and be happy with what we have...

Old 28-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Verified Member

qwerty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
another fallacy.. my CS peers are earning higher basic and annual packages than me. i know for a fact that agencies like IE Singapore hires experience professionals from O&G and other industries. why would these people make the jump if they are worse off?
People jump for various reasons, like 1)Cannot progress in current coy due to politics, 2)Sick of the long hours and want a cushier job, etc so that's not a very strong indication of anything.

Fact is the civil service generally pays no more than above average at best. Why people have the perception that CS pays higher is because 1)they do pay fresh grads quite well at the start, 2)the increment and bonus differences between an avg and a good performer is small and 3)there are also below avg performers in the pte sector who get poor increments and bonuses.

Once you control for calibre, I think people will see that 1)poor - avg performers in the CS are paid better than counterparts in good MNCs and 2)Above avg and good performers in the pte sector tend to do better in the longer term.

Last edited by qwerty; 28-11-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 28-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Unregistered

Not true that "CS pays no more than above average at best". You sound like someone working in SMEs, who think u are better off than civil servants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
People jump for various reasons, like 1)Cannot progress in current coy due to politics, 2)Sick of the long hours and want a cushier job, etc so that's not a very strong indication of anything.

Fact is the civil service generally pays no more than above average at best. Why people have the perception that CS pays higher is because 1)they do pay fresh grads quite well at the start, 2)the increment and bonus differences between an avg and a good performer is small and 3)there are also below avg performers in the pte sector who get poor increments and bonuses.

Once you control for calibre, I think people will see that 1)poor - avg performers in the CS are paid better than counterparts in good MNCs and 2)Above avg and good performers in the pte sector tend to do better in the longer term.

Old 28-11-2014, 11:04 PM
Verified Member

qwerty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not true that "CS pays no more than above average at best". You sound like someone working in SMEs, who think u are better off than civil servants.
I am actually in the public service, also there are actually good people in SMEs. I have very capable colleagues who come from such background.
Old 28-11-2014, 11:15 PM
Unregistered

i just joined civil service in august. do i entitle to prorated pb given out next year mar/apr if there is?
Old 29-11-2014, 12:55 AM
Unregistered

I can only conclude the following:

1) those who think CS are highly paid are people in private sector who are simply underpaid. These are usually people who think they are doing well in private but are uneasy on learning that their CS counterparts are drawing almost the same or even more than them.

2) those who think CS are earning modest wages are people in private who are actually earning alot more.

3) above 2 points are people from private.

4) those who think people in private earns more are people in CS trying to justify why they should get out of CS. The successful ones usually never regret switching to private

5) those who think people in private aren't making much are people in CS with false sense of superiority.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 29-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Unregistered

In any case, please feel free to leave for greener pasture if you arent contented.

Quote:
I am actually in the public service, also there are actually good people in SMEs. I have very capable colleagues who come from such background.
Old 29-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Unregistered

which ministry & department?

Quote:
Old 29-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Unregistered

I am concerned and hugely disappointed because :

1. there are people in the CS who are not aware who their paymasters are. For those in the CS who are still ignorant, please refer to the IRAS website for the explanation on where government revenue come from and where tax payers money go to.

2. They take their comfortable pay for granted and spend their working time on unproductive work like boasting and whining on public forums.

3. By their lackadaisical attitude they do a great disservice to the CS and PS and their hard working colleagues and tax payers.

It is because of these devil-may-care staff that our Ministers are frequently put in a spot to answer for instances of mispending public monies.

Quote:
Lolz.. So fierce for what? He was just explaining his point, which is not all that rubbish what. Give you public money you can do better job meh, mr arm chair critic. Pls loh, we all pay taxes, including civil and public servants. Doesnt automatically give you any right to adopt such a mightier-than-thou attitude. It is a fact that our cs and ps are known to pay good salaries. It is also a fact that our cs and ps are more efficient, less corrupt etc than most other countries (including developed ones). Everyone should just complain less and be happy with what we have...
Old 29-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I can only conclude the following:

1) those who think CS are highly paid are people in private sector who are simply underpaid. These are usually people who think they are doing well in private but are uneasy on learning that their CS counterparts are drawing almost the same or even more than them.

2) those who think CS are earning modest wages are people in private who are actually earning alot more.

3) above 2 points are people from private.

4) those who think people in private earns more are people in CS trying to justify why they should get out of CS. The successful ones usually never regret switching to private

5) those who think people in private aren't making much are people in CS with false sense of superiority.
can provide info on:

for average C performer in CS, how much will be the annual salary after 5 years of service since fresh grad?

this can be a good guide for us.

Thank you