Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Civil Service Year End Bonus.

Old 27-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
another fallacy.. my CS peers are earning higher basic and annual packages than me. i know for a fact that agencies like IE Singapore hires experience professionals from O&G and other industries. why would these people make the jump if they are worse off?
Its not a fallacy. In your case your pte company is not paying u the market rate and you are grossly uderpaid. CS salaries are gd benchmark whether you are underpaid in pte....

Old 27-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Its not a fallacy. In your case your pte company is not paying u the market rate and you are grossly uderpaid. CS salaries are gd benchmark whether you are underpaid in pte....
this is the truth, whether you choose to believe it or not.

just to set it straight i'm not begrudging you for earning what you do but I just can't stand it when CS folks moan about people in pte sector earning more than them.

Old 27-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
this is the truth, whether you choose to believe it or not.

just to set it straight i'm not begrudging you for earning what you do but I just can't stand it when CS folks moan about people in pte sector earning more than them.
Erm i think it was the prev poster in pte that moaned that CS has nothing to shout abt their bonus as he/she said pte earn more overall. We in CS agreed but we didnt moan here. We may moan if we cant switch to pte but that moaning is on our skillset/luck. We dont moan abt ppl who r in pte.

Old 27-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hope you are not a civil servant. You don't even know who the paymaster is for the CS. Civil servants are paid through taxes paid by the citizenry, and they are there to serve the public. I guess you didn't realize why they were also called public servants? They owe everything to the public.

If the people clamor loud enough, the gahmen will have to reveal the pay packages of the CS like they did in the good old days. On the other hand, private companies earn their income through product & services. If they don't do that well, customers will leave them and they will fold up.

I observed a lot of civil / public servants are forgetting this basic tenet and are very yaya papaya about their jobs. You can see so many of them posting on these kind of forums during office hours. I feel it's time to shake them up.
The paymaster is the government, as elected by the people. Civil servants' paymaster is not the public per se. Anyway, your logic that salaries come from taxes means that the public is the paymaster is stupid to the extreme. I hope YOU are not a civil servant. By your logic anyone who doesn't pay taxes is not entitled to a civil servant's service. The police shouldn't protect tourists if they don't spend a single cent. What about revenue earned by the government that's not derived from taxing the public. The accountability of the civil service to the public is quite different from the notion that they owe their salaries to the public. If you can't grasp such a basic concept, I suggest you stop engaging in any discussion because it's unlikely to be very meaningful to anyone else. Good bye, and good luck in whatever path you choose in life. You will need plenty of it haha.
Old 27-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Erm i think it was the prev poster in pte that moaned that CS has nothing to shout abt their bonus as he/she said pte earn more overall. We in CS agreed but we didnt moan here. We may moan if we cant switch to pte but that moaning is on our skillset/luck. We dont moan abt ppl who r in pte.

Quote:
Honestly, 15.8 months for avg performer is nothing fantastic. In big MNCs an avg performer would easily hit 17 months (all in). Besides, basic pay at the bigger MNCs is also much higher on avg...

Hmm.... I think you're referring to this quote. I read this as if a CS were lamenting while you read it as a pte sector employee is showing off.

Very different interpretations. haha.
Old 27-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Unregistered

You childish piece of s***, still dare post during office hours. One letter to the forum page straits times and all of you will be sieved out. Then you tell us who is your paymaster !

Quote:
The paymaster is the government, as elected by the people. Civil servants' paymaster is not the public per se. Anyway, your logic that salaries come from taxes means that the public is the paymaster is stupid to the extreme. I hope YOU are not a civil servant. By your logic anyone who doesn't pay taxes is not entitled to a civil servant's service. The police shouldn't protect tourists if they don't spend a single cent. What about revenue earned by the government that's not derived from taxing the public. The accountability of the civil service to the public is quite different from the notion that they owe their salaries to the public. If you can't grasp such a basic concept, I suggest you stop engaging in any discussion because it's unlikely to be very meaningful to anyone else. Good bye, and good luck in whatever path you choose in life. You will need plenty of it haha.

Old 27-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
this is a fallacy that almost all civil servants i have come across have.

most civil servants are generalists with little relevant/transferable skills to the pte sector unless you are being parachuted in from the SAF. please don't compare yourselves to professionals (doctors, lawyers, etc), investment/private bankers, oil & gas who are the ones with fat bonus packages.

why don't you try joining an MNC and see if you can even smell 17 months?
from local GLC

C grader , 17.5mth in total inclusive all stock/bonus/aws..

but annual increment and promotion increment sux

eg if you start at 3k basic with a degree, for C grader, you will need 6 years to hit 4k salary, which inclusive of 2 promotions increment already.

for CS, starting pay is higher, increment is also more, most of them able to hit 5k/6k in 5-7years.

see the differences
Old 27-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You childish piece of s***, still dare post during office hours. One letter to the forum page straits times and all of you will be sieved out. Then you tell us who is your paymaster !
Quote:
The second post above is right. The citizenry is not the paymaster. By that logic, the police and the army should give extra protection to the rich since they pay the most taxes and leave the poor unguarded since they dont pay taxes at all. In fact, I believe that the revenues earned yearly by Temasek and GIC combined totally outweigh the amount collected through personal income taxes. So to say that the citizens pay for the salaries of public servants is not very true. Most of the taxes go to maintaining and building infrastructural costs instead of salaries. One F-16 could probably pay for an entire ministry's payroll for about 2-3 years. That's just in the military. In education, especially in universities, the electrical engineering dept has lab equipment that may is worth 500k each. And electrical engineering is one of the biggest schools in NTU and NUS. Not to mention the high-powered lasers in physics labs as well.

On top of that, if we go by the logic that citizens that pay taxes are the paymaster, we could well descend into a situation whereby only rich people can use public goods such as schools, hospitals, roads and the like. Because at the end of the day, they are the ones who pay the public service the most right? So think before you say such things.
Old 27-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sorry I'm not too familiar with civil service bonus, can someone help out?

So does that mean this year there is 1 mth AWS + 1.8 mth AVC + 3mth PB (assume average B- performer)? So in total civil service is paying out 5.8 mth bonus for normal performerer?

This is really fantastic if true, makes me want to try my luck applying for a public sector job next year also.
1 mth aws, 1.3 mth avc, 1.5 mth pb
Old 28-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Unregistered

If you guys are really Civil / Public servants, I suggest you find out from your bosses where your pay is coming from before you disgrace the CS. If he is clueless, the whole department can close down.

Taxes are collected in many forms: Individual income, businesses, ERP, COE, GST, Maid and foreign workers Levy, stamp duties and many others.

Governments get their revenues from the above taxes, borrowing (government bonds) and from investment returns to fund their operations including paying the civil servants.

Why do you think the government has to explain why Mindef paid $20K+ of public money to hire a language tutor for a foreign soldier attending a course here? Why the government has to explain the Brompton bicycle purchase processes and remove the corrupt AD? And many more

I would like to request you provide the CS or PS departments where you work in so that we can weed out the ignorant, arrogant and public-money wasting staff who spent office hours posting and boasting about their bonuses which come from the public.

Quote:
The second post above is right. The citizenry is not the paymaster. By that logic, the police and the army should give extra protection to the rich since they pay the most taxes and leave the poor unguarded since they dont pay taxes at all. In fact, I believe that the revenues earned yearly by Temasek and GIC combined totally outweigh the amount collected through personal income taxes. So to say that the citizens pay for the salaries of public servants is not very true. Most of the taxes go to maintaining and building infrastructural costs instead of salaries. One F-16 could probably pay for an entire ministry's payroll for about 2-3 years. That's just in the military. In education, especially in universities, the electrical engineering dept has lab equipment that may is worth 500k each. And electrical engineering is one of the biggest schools in NTU and NUS. Not to mention the high-powered lasers in physics labs as well.

On top of that, if we go by the logic that citizens that pay taxes are the paymaster, we could well descend into a situation whereby only rich people can use public goods such as schools, hospitals, roads and the like. Because at the end of the day, they are the ones who pay the public service the most right? So think before you say such things.