Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Some questions on office politics and streetsmart-ness

Old 07-10-2014, 11:52 PM

Nik is on a distinguished road
Default Some questions on office politics and streetsmart-ness

Hi all,

I finally got a job, and before I start working in a month's time or so, I do have a few questions.

1) Do you guys feel really insecure, intimidated, scared and totally uncertain when you join a new company? It's like, you're being thrusted into this wild jungle and you're unsure who's a friend or foe. You feel lost and uncomfortable.
That's exactly what I'm feeling now.
Thinking of it, the current company feels so much more comfortable but then, staying forever here is not an option due to stagnant job scope.
Anyone feels the same? This Fear?

2) Is it true that we should generally not trust anyone fully in the office? Speaking of past experience, for every 10 colleagues, only 1 or 2 at most will be a true friend, the rest are mostly backstabbers and manipulators who wear a very beautiful and cheerful mask that wears down only with the passing of time.

3) Is it true that over a period of time, a company's culture will slowly change with the leaving and joining of old and new staff respectively?

4) Any other advice to give a someone starting work in a new company?
(I've been at this current company for some time now and forgot what it's like to join a new company )

Would love to hear other people's opinions, since I admit I'm not very well-versed in this area and only realized I got manipulated long after the act has been done.

Tks!
Nik

Old 08-10-2014, 12:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Hi all,

I finally got a job, and before I start working in a month's time or so, I do have a few questions.

1) Do you guys feel really insecure, intimidated, scared and totally uncertain when you join a new company? It's like, you're being thrusted into this wild jungle and you're unsure who's a friend or foe. You feel lost and uncomfortable.
Thinking of it, the current company feels so much more comfortable but then, staying forever here is not an option due to stagnant job scope.

2) Is it true that we should generally not trust anyone fully in the office? Speaking of past experience, for every 10 colleagues, only 1 or 2 at most will be a true friend, the rest are mostly backstabbers and manipulators who wear a very beautiful and cheerful mask that wears down only with the passing of time.

3) Is it true that over a period of time, a company's culture will slowly change with the leaving and joining of old and new staff respectively?

(I've been at this current company for some time now and forgot what it's like to join a new company )

Would love to hear other people's opinions, since I admit I'm not very well-versed in this area and only realized I got manipulated long after the act has been done.

Tks!
Nik
I can identify with point 1. I'm going to start work soon after a good break. I'm feeling some pre-work anxiety now. How long have u been working?

Old 08-10-2014, 12:43 AM

Been working almost 3 yrs at current company.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:04 AM
Unregistered

Hi Nik,

Be positive. Go out and enjoy yourself in your new workplace!

Only time will tell you who's good and who's bad...
Old 08-10-2014, 07:23 AM
Unregistered

1. everybody feels the same. new environment, new people, new things to do. if u feel comfortable, something is wrong.

2. be friends with everyone. from cleaning aunties to managers, hopefully. eventually u will find out which group of corllicks work well with you.

3. not true. old staff sets the tone hopefully.

4. be friends with everyone. your best ally is the cleaning auntie. remember, you are there to work, not make friends. do your job, go home on time and collect pay. the cleaning auntie is in the best position to tell you who to avoid and how to avoid getting into trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Hi all,

Tks!
Nik
Old 08-10-2014, 10:26 AM

Darkzi0n is on a distinguished road

lol agree with the cleaning auntie part.... when i was an intern, the cleaning auntie tells me alot of stuff... warn me not to drink the first cup of water from water dispenser in the morning cos will have little insects there... tell me little gossips about some colleagues.... warn me wat not to do, etc.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Unregistered

Yes lol totally agree with the cleaning auntie part, I always greet them and be friendly to them and they keep my area extra clean and provide additional info haha.

I have been working for about 10 years and this is my 6th company. I always find it very exciting to move to a different company. New people to meet, wider network etc. After working in so many places I now have friends / ex colleagues everywhere!
Old 08-10-2014, 11:36 PM

Haha, tks guys.

1) What if my office doesn't have a cleaning lady? Some smaller companies usually either have no cleaning lady (employees clean up around their own area) or hire a part-time lady who usually comes once in a while and doesn't interact much with the people.

2) Regarding the coming on time and leaving on time part, is it a good idea to leave on the dot (or at most, stay back 10 - 15 mins max) when you first join a new company? For some reason, I actually feel guilty leaving on the dot even though by right, there's nothing wrong.
I notice a lot of people tend to stay quite late, not sure if it's to show the boss they're hardworking or just plain out have no life.

I find that the later one stays in the office after the time is up, the later one will end up staying cos' the boss is used to it and your overtime BECOMES your NORMAL WORKING HOURS and the workload also increase instead of decrease! (ie: you stay 10 mins late when you first join, then 2 months late, you stay 30 mins late, then 6 mths later, you stay 1 hr late. Then your working hours come 9 PM to 7.30 PM and if you go back on time which by right is 6 PM, boss starts to make noise) :O

3) Anyone experienced those 40 - 50+ year old auntie-type of colleagues in the office who have a very nasty and fierce personality/temper and like to bully the young employees who just joined the company? Saw a few of these types previously, usually they exist in those companies whose work environment is more traditional chinese type (shipbuilding companies warehousing etc).
Do you guys generally just try to avoid these dinosaurs and try to focus on the work instead?

Tks!
Nik
Old 08-10-2014, 11:56 PM
anon

congrats on finding a job, especially in trying times like these (probably since 08 crisis).

imo, it really really really depends on the culture of the firm - to me this is extremely impt and i believe this makes a significant difference in shaping anyone's career/personal goals & development.

to share... my previous job was in a small local firm (approx. 30 employees). i didn't really looked up to most of my colleagues as even as a newcomer, i picked up things fast and generally know a lot more (about the work/industry) than any of them - office politics consists of the occasional attempts to run me down by attacking my logic on my work (which never works) and of course the behind-close-doors gossips (at least i'm pretty sure that happened).

i was unfazed by these - since i don't really answer to any of these ex-colleagues of mine and i treat their gossips as children talk. attempts to **** on my work failed because thankfully my ex-boss (the only person i answer to) understands my work/logic.

but i didnt think i would be able to tahan this kind of environment over the long run, so the environment/culture was largely why i left. now i'm in a much larger (global) firm, culture there is waaaay better and very conducive for learning.

but for the most part - you should anticipate the learning part of the job and be prepared to work very hard & stay late if need be, this helps in developing a positive work attitude which is very important in any workplace.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:10 AM
Unregistered

All depends.

If you are working in call centre or F&B/ retail, of course you get to knock off on time. Same for some govt admin jobs. I used to see some actually went toilet/ walk around 30 min before official end time.

If you working as executive/ managerial roles, of course your workload is much heavier. My advice is that you try to go back early when you just started work. Because once you get to learn and hand on the role, you have no more excuse to off work on time daily. You surely can off work punctually at times, but please, make sure you really have cleared all the stuffs and able to meet the timeline.

In office, there are only colleagues. There is no genuine friendship, especially your boss/ direct superiors. So, count yourself lucky if you have good colleagues that are kind enough to assist you in work, allow you to enjoy the working environment.

Congrats on your new job. Build up your positive working attitude and everything will go your way.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app