Urgent : Going for a couple of interviews tomorrow. Need advice - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Urgent : Going for a couple of interviews tomorrow. Need advice

Old 18-09-2014, 01:09 AM
Unregistered

I am glad TS posted the question here before going for the interview.
Otherwise, he could have embarassed himself there and blown himself of the chance of getting hired.

Child-care or university night classes are understandable.

Better don't mention tap dance or they may question your priorities.

Old 18-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am glad TS posted the question here before going for the interview.
Otherwise, he could have embarassed himself there and blown himself of the chance of getting hired.

Child-care or university night classes are understandable.

Better don't mention tap dance or they may question your priorities.
Agree, important uncontrol personal matters some companies are understanding & try to help.

But first interview only already declare want to go off early for dancing just show the candidate not serious & thinks he/she is here to masak masak.

Even the most liberal work life balance company will not want to hire someone who havent even start work already intent to go off early for 2 days every week, it's just bad impression.

Old 19-09-2014, 09:52 AM

aplover is on a distinguished road

TS, do you even think if the roles were reversed, how would you feel if you were the interviewer?

It doesn't mean working life must slave like **** but these extra benefits like leaving on time, leaving early etc, you can try to ask for them when you have worked for some time and shown good results. Bosses are also humans and were once in your shoes but pls don't go ask about chance to leave early as you want to do tap dancing. If you say you got night classes, it would be encouraging and most bosses would say yes to it as it's sign of an employee wanting to improve himself but best not to say this as your boss/colleagues can always ask you about what you are learning, how is progress so far, when you graduating etc.

Drop the tap dancing class and focus on your work for now. Or better, sign up for a later dancing class if it's a hobby you really love.

Old 30-09-2014, 11:24 PM

Nik is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Ok tks for the insight and advice.

I'm going for my 2nd interview at one of the companies which I went to last week, and there's is a chance (50-50%) they will hire me (based on what the interviewer says).

Now, hopefully it's not too early to plan, but.....assuming later this week when they really do give me the letter of offer to sign, can I AT LEAST ask them what is the company culture and working hours like, and do people there often work overtime?

I mean, as I currently have another job, it's kind of a risk to quit this current one without finding out what the new job is like. I hope this isn't too much to ask?
I personally don't find it worth the slight increment if the working hours is crazy like 12 - 14++ hrs a day for 5.5 / 6 days, you know what I mean?

Just wondering.

Tks!
Nik

Last edited by Nik; 30-09-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 30-09-2014, 11:33 PM
Unregistered

Dear nik,
R u a guy? May I know ur age. Tis sounds rude but I'm just curious

Thanks
Old 30-09-2014, 11:49 PM
Unregistered

Hope one day u will wake up and learn how to priortise what's impt

Old 30-09-2014, 11:54 PM

Yes, I'm a guy, 33+. Been working for half a decade +-.

Reason I'm asking all these is because in the past, I use to take whatever was given to me at face value. ie: If company requires 6 day work week and other stuff, I would just take it without a single complaint whatsoever.

However, as I get older, I feel it's important to change this way of thinking and be more assertive in knowing more about the new company before I quit the current one and join.

Do give me some insight on my previous post above. Tks!

Tks,
Nik
Old 01-10-2014, 08:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post

Reason I'm asking all these is because in the past, I use to take whatever was given to me at face value. ie: If company requires 6 day work week and other stuff, I would just take it without a single complaint whatsoever.

However, as I get older, I feel it's important to change this way of thinking and be more assertive in knowing more about the new company before I quit the current one and join.

Tks,
Nik
Nothing wrong with asking for the working hours. Since you are only 50-50 confirmed for this job, don't come across too strong or "assertive". Your chances will be greatly diminished if I'm the hiring manager and I hear some kind of hint that you are not willing to stay back.

Heck, I don't even like my subordinates to be too OT minded. If I give them the leeway to come in late, then they should auto pay it back at the end of the day. No need to monitor and nag.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post

Tks,
Nik
I'll be a bit blunt, no offence intended.

Seriously have you considered what exactly is the point in your moving job?

From what you have said, it seems ypou don't expect much in terms of increment and the fact that you made no mention of any specific interest in the job and prioritizing dancing to the job indicates neither the company nor the job really drives you to build a career with them.

Without much monetary incentive or commitment and determination on your part to build a career, I do not see any point in jumping ship to the unkown especially when you have specific requirements to leave eaarly on certain days, want work life balance, cannot work 12hr days etc etc.

You can skirt around the issue by asking about culture and if people work OT, but I predict you will just get the typical standard answer along the lines of: We believe in performance driven, team work and company oriented culture. OT will depend on business needs. This is a typical safe answer 95% of the companies will give and it tells you nothing.

In the end you will either be forced to ask outright that you want to go off early for dancing which will severely jeapordise your chances of the getting the job or just take this generic answer for what it is and pray hard that it all somehow works.

Again ask yourself, what is the point of changing job if there is little monetary or personal development incentive?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Seriously have you considered what exactly is the point in your moving job?

Without much monetary incentive or commitment and determination on your part to build a career, I do not see any point in jumping ship to the unkown especially when you have specific requirements to leave eaarly on certain days, want work life balance, cannot work 12hr days etc etc.

Again ask yourself, what is the point of changing job if there is little monetary or personal development incentive?
Tks, actually the reason for wanting to jump ship is so I can learn something new. Currently, the present job is getting very very static and predicatable, and I can spend days and weeks watching videos during working hours simply because I'm too free.

And because I've more bargaining power due to having a job currently, I can afford to be more picky (have turned down a couple of job offers due to either distance or just didn't like the look/feel of the company ambience).

It's this risk of jumping into the unknown that subconsciously down inside, I'll actually be relieved and happy if I didn't get this job LOL

While most people in SG seems to be highly focused on work and nothing else, I've come to realized that earning less and enough just to live decently and be happy about it is more important than earning much more and living a unhappy, uptight and heavy life everyday.
(in fact, I've become a happier person ever since I cut down on my working hours and took up leisure activities)