Need Career Advice (Chem Eng) - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Need Career Advice (Chem Eng)

Old 12-03-2014, 02:44 AM

Tokyohdrg is on a distinguished road
Default Need Career Advice (Chem Eng)

Pardon me, for I would need to solicit advice from all the seniors on this forum and I would appreciate any feedback greatly. I have been weighing my options as I would be studying chemical engineering at NUS next year. I have been browsing through the forums and indeed it is quite depressing to read that people in the finance industry are making so much more money compared to those in my discipline. I would want to consider a course switch to NTU accountancy. Even my friends told me an auditor would be able to make more money than a chemical engineer and they encouraged me to consider a career switch to finance. I even went to the MOM website to check the payscale for Singaporeans and found that chemical engineers make only $7.5k a month on average at the age of 40 years old. My aunt who works for the government told me she sees the tax returns of many people in Singapore and engineers usually have a very low income, with very few exceeding $100k.

I would like to ask just one question. Should I make a course switch? Thank you, even a yes or no answer would suffice. I just need the extra push to make the change.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyohdrg View Post
Pardon me, for I would need to solicit advice from all the seniors on this forum and I would appreciate any feedback greatly. I have been weighing my options as I would be studying chemical engineering at NUS next year. I have been browsing through the forums and indeed it is quite depressing to read that people in the finance industry are making so much more money compared to those in my discipline. I would want to consider a course switch to NTU accountancy. Even my friends told me an auditor would be able to make more money than a chemical engineer and they encouraged me to consider a career switch to finance. I even went to the MOM website to check the payscale for Singaporeans and found that chemical engineers make only $7.5k a month on average at the age of 40 years old. My aunt who works for the government told me she sees the tax returns of many people in Singapore and engineers usually have a very low income, with very few exceeding $100k.

I would like to ask just one question. Should I make a course switch? Thank you, even a yes or no answer would suffice. I just need the extra push to make the change.
$7.5kpm not enough? how much money u want to make?

u think people in finance are making a lot? yes it's true, but have u ever heard of people in the finance industry earning less than chemical engineers? plenty.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:00 AM

Tokyohdrg is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. I am looking at 10k perhaps at 40 yrs old, yea its not enough lol. I know there are bound to be plenty that dont make as much as chemical engineers but the sheer glamour of how the finance industry portrays itself plus the numerous successful men and women aboard this forum has left me waning about my decision on my future career choice. It is one of utmost importance that would affect me for life, so it would be fair to exercise prudence on my part. I seek everyones' advice and understanding humbly.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Unregistered

then go apply biz or accountancy loh.

if u r jus in for the money, chem eng is not where u can survive.. and base on the way u gather and interpret info, u r certainly better off else where too.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 12-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
then go apply biz or accountancy loh.

if u r jus in for the money, chem eng is not where u can survive.. and base on the way u gather and interpret info, u r certainly better off else where too.
Agree with you, threadstarter is better off somewhere then wasting his nus slot, rather give to someone more deserving. Really immature and childish mindset, wasting taxpayers money only.

Business and finance does earn big money but like the above post, how many make it big? A small number that gets the attention while the majority are slogging alone quietly. Next judging from comments from forums, thats a joke man. I could say I am earn 100k/ year in finance without any or much proof to back.

If you are in for the big money, go sell chicken rice or fried kway teow la
Old 12-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Unregistered

Just for your info, most chemical engineers don't remain chemical engineers for life. There's this thing called progression in case you are not aware. Most engineers move on to management positions and their pay is likely not classified under the 'chemical engineer' group.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Unregistered

If you're good and your company recognizes your effort, you can be earning more than $10k a month when you're just in your thirties as a chemical engineer. But of course, this depends on the scale of the company.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you're good and your company recognizes your effort, you can be earning more than $10k a month when you're just in your thirties as a chemical engineer. But of course, this depends on the scale of the company.
if you're good, go where also can make money. they are people making good money in finance, chem, hawker, programming, tuition. ts wants to chase money. but money chase you when you are successful. bottom line is just follow your heart (not by reading forums).
Old 12-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Unregistered

Like what several posters have indicated, if you're in for the money, please go and study other majors which are finance related. Note that out of 1000, maybe only 1 will earn big bucks (more than 25kpm) in the finance industry.

However, if you're a good chem engineer, chances are you will be promoted and emplaced onto management track. By then, you'll be easily drawing 15k - 25k pm, depending on your roles and responsibilities. Having said that, there is a limit as to how much a chem engineer can earn even if he's on management track. Vis a vis a talent in the finance industry, the sky's the limit for their salary.

Word of advice, you have not even smell what chem engineering nor accountany nor finance related course are like. Don't assume it'll be a bed of roses and that things will go your way, you'll get FCH and land a good job. Find a course that interests you. Chances are you'll score better than studying a course with a "good" future but does not interest you. And oh, you'll need excellent grades, fantastic network, and good internship experience if you wish to land onto your dream job in finance. Even then, it's not a foul-proof method.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyohdrg View Post

dont switch.
what you hear/read are about people who are at the two extremes of the normal distribution - either they make big buck or they don't (top 5% and bottom 5%) These are cases that are mostly highlighted in newspapers - it is all business to the media as people like to read such stories.

Media does not publish stories of average guys - chemical engineering -as many many many make the average salary. There is nothing selling or appealling about it to the masses.

Both of the above are normal distribution but the population mean of chemical engineer salary is higher than that of the accountant.