Career Chnage to Supply Chain Management, and Seeking Advice from Pros Here - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career Chnage to Supply Chain Management, and Seeking Advice from Pros Here

Old 02-03-2014, 01:47 PM

I_SERVED_NS is on a distinguished road
Default Career Chnage to Supply Chain Management, and Seeking Advice from Pros Here

Hi All,

I am 29 this year, and am a junior manager in my company. Currently studying a part time degree in supply chain management to realise my goals of being a supply chain professional.

I am quitting my current job to pay more attention to my studies, and will be graduating this coming October.

I fully understand its unwise to leave without a job but I have undertaken the necessary considerations prior to making this decision. Am prepared to work in part time/contract jobs for the short term to get by.

So, I need some advice from the experienced professional here pertaining to supply chain management:

1) Once I have completed my degree, what are the chances of me being considered for fresh grad jobs, considering the fact that I am slightly older than the typical fresh grad?

2) I am looking to go into procurement/supply chain analysis. Anyone here who is familiar with the job scope/skillset requirements of these positions? Have read some job descriptions but I feel its always better to speak to professionals who have done these jobs.

Another advice I need from the pros here. As I am undertaking a career switch, how should I craft my cover letter when sending our resumes? I.e. should I mention that I am making a career switch, possess certain skillsets or etc? Am a bit lost on this part asI do not have freinds who have made a career switch and thus am unable to solicit advice on this.

Looking forward to all of your advice and insight on the above post.

Thank you in advance

Old 02-03-2014, 04:22 PM

Bump. Any advice from experienced professionals here?

Old 03-03-2014, 01:28 PM

Bump. Any advice is appreciated

Thanks!

Old 03-03-2014, 05:43 PM

aplover is on a distinguished road

Why not u keep ur current job n study part time? U gain more mileage this way. Try to network n find jobs while still working n studying.

If you really want to quit, then just focus on your education n dun bother about part time work. If money is a concern then dun quit for now.

Dun hv the mindset that you must study a certain field then u can get chosen for that field. Most fields are not like that with the exception of professional degrees.

Procurement is nothing specialized. It can be learnt on the job. Why discount your current work exp by being willing to be paid at fresh level?

What did u study previously and what is your current line?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplover View Post
Why not u keep ur current job n study part time? U gain more mileage this way. Try to network n find jobs while still working n studying.

If you really want to quit, then just focus on your education n dun bother about part time work. If money is a concern then dun quit for now.

Dun hv the mindset that you must study a certain field then u can get chosen for that field. Most fields are not like that with the exception of professional degrees.

Procurement is nothing specialized. It can be learnt on the job. Why discount your current work exp by being willing to be paid at fresh level?

What did u study previously and what is your current line?
Hello Aplover, and thanks for replying

The demands of my current job does not allow me to study at all, and this was something agreed on by my boss when we were discussing on my decision to quit. Nevertheless, a steady flow of income is still necessary due the commitments I have, though I will have greater control in appropriating my time accordingly if I am to work part-time.

Networking, already done so. Am in the process of speaking to a few classmates who are middle managers in their organizations for potential job leads and opportunities.

As for my background, I studied accountancy, and am currently an operations manager. Chances are high that my work experiences will be discounted by hirers as it i unrelated to procurement or supply chain analysis. Thus, I am preparing for a worse case scenario where I get hired as a fresh grad.

Appreciate your thoughts and advice on this. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Unregistered

I see quite the opposite where your skills can be played to your advantage. Knowing the operations will enable you to better manage supply shortage/expediting situations at times of suppliers' delinquencies. Being accountancy trained will let you review & judge potential suppliers' financial health quickly before justify the selection of them for further development. Do bear in mind there is a difference in supply chain and procurement roles in the market and each require different skillsets.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I see quite the opposite where your skills can be played to your advantage. Knowing the operations will enable you to better manage supply shortage/expediting situations at times of suppliers' delinquencies. Being accountancy trained will let you review & judge potential suppliers' financial health quickly before justify the selection of them for further development. Do bear in mind there is a difference in supply chain and procurement roles in the market and each require different skillsets.
Oh I never did look from that angle. That is an interesting insight and I appreciate this point man.

I get the impression that You are familiar with supply chain and/or procurement. By any chance, are you a supply chain professional?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 05-03-2014, 10:45 AM

Any advice will be appreciated
Old 05-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Unregistered

If the intention is to start from fresh grad position and if you don't mind the pay cut, there is definitely a chance to start from operational buyer role and move to supply chain role after 1 to 2 years if you have shown that you have the potential for it.

The role of procurement usually comprises supplier & technology sourcing/ management to support business needs. Being the single contact point to the suppliers for every and any aspects of things related to them. You will usually be assigned a specific portfolio/commodity to manage. Rfq and cost reduction activities are part of the job.

Supply chain roles will mean managing end to end material supply strategy. I'm not been in this role but I know companies usually make them responsible for material or goods readiness for factory or customers.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Unregistered

Im in such a role, you should not consider yourself entry level but during interview play to the fact that you are skilled in operations and can contribute to procurement and supply chain.

If you do get in entry level, then good luck, because the junior buyer role is mundant and pretty much brainless job. Handle all sort of escalations just by calling suppliers.

As you go up in supply chain/procurement, you formulate strategies to benefit your business and in operations you can definitely contribute new and fresh ideas.