Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career advancement of MSO

Old 02-09-2014, 04:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSOforlife View Post
Hi peeps....

I'd like to share my woes as i feel I am grossly underpaid.
My current pay is $3870 and I am MSO4 (Div 1). Every Year my increment never hits 100. In % terms, its always less than 3%. My PB never hits 1 month. Highest is 0.85.

Worked in a Stat Board for about 14 years already. Qualification is Bachelor degree which is not recognized. Promoted twice, and the recent one was 2 years ago.

sigh.....hope the new initiative by PSD will help to move my pay upward.
The new initiative will definitely help those aspiring and go-the-extra-mile MSO.
What is your performance grade? A? B?
Have you discuss your performance with your superior?
Ever thought of going for a masters degree related to your job?

Old 02-09-2014, 09:48 AM

MSOforlife is on a distinguished road

"going extra-mile" is subjective.
To me, my current portfolio is alot more than my peers and the things that I handle is rather critical and not just day-to-day operation. Have been in a committee comprises of people of higher levels for years now. But to my management, it means nothing. Discussed with my supervisor but every year, asked me to take on more and more (which I did). But every year it is the same miserable incentive (small PB and increment).

I think it depends on the supervisor and the head of department. If she/he likes you, well....your future is pretty much secured as they will recommend you to assume higfher post and promote you, or give better grading and higher PB, etc. Btw, performance grade is not transparent in my company. I could only guess that I am a C.

Masters? really not interested at all. My degree is not recognized, so I have lost faith to study again. And I am a working mother of 2 children, so guess no time to study also. Anyway, in this company, it is not automatic that people will be enplaced once they have acquired new qualification.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Unregistered

i still feel govt sector is not the best/fastest way to go whether for career or salary advancment. i left early last year. MSO6 then, with entry level pay of 1,875.

in my second job in the legal industry now with a pay difference of 1K. recently went to explore an opening and was offered low 3K, which means 1K+ increment in 1.5 years.

of course, govt sector has its advantage. more leave. i assume MSOforlife, you have 20+ days? pte sector many places don't offer so much leave with the exception of some industries like banking.

but anyway, most ppl whether MSOs or MXOs get C for appraisal. just that C equivalent for MSOs for PB is quite miserable.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
"going extra-mile" is subjective.
To me, my current portfolio is alot more than my peers and the things that I handle is rather critical and not just day-to-day operation. Have been in a committee comprises of people of higher levels for years now. But to my management, it means nothing. Discussed with my supervisor but every year, asked me to take on more and more (which I did). But every year it is the same miserable incentive (small PB and increment).

I think it depends on the supervisor and the head of department. If she/he likes you, well....your future is pretty much secured as they will recommend you to assume higfher post and promote you, or give better grading and higher PB, etc. Btw, performance grade is not transparent in my company. I could only guess that I am a C.

Masters? really not interested at all. My degree is not recognized, so I have lost faith to study again. And I am a working mother of 2 children, so guess no time to study also. Anyway, in this company, it is not automatic that people will be enplaced once they have acquired new qualification.
I can totally understand how you feel. Believe me, MXO feel the same way as well. While the salary and bonus differs for MSO and MXO, the same thing of not being recognised is the same. But I can imagine that MSO feels more than MXO in this aspect.

To be honest, I always feel that MSO should not stay in public unless all they want is stability and good work-life balance. Those that yearns for career development and remuneration should go to the private.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I can totally understand how you feel. Believe me, MXO feel the same way as well. While the salary and bonus differs for MSO and MXO, the same thing of not being recognised is the same. But I can imagine that MSO feels more than MXO in this aspect.

To be honest, I always feel that MSO should not stay in public unless all they want is stability and good work-life balance. Those that yearns for career development and remuneration should go to the private.

Thats true....all I want is stability and work-life balance. I always console myself with the fact that my leave benefit which is good (28 days and with all the childcare leave) compensates my low pay. But what shocked me is that people with lesser work get bigger payout in increment and PB. Totally unfair and biased!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thats true....all I want is stability and work-life balance. I always console myself with the fact that my leave benefit which is good (28 days and with all the childcare leave) compensates my low pay. But what shocked me is that people with lesser work get bigger payout in increment and PB. Totally unfair and biased!
I read MSOforlife's post, i thought he/she is describing the situation i am in. i guess we r abt the same age, 28days leave, many decades in the non-graduate post in the job, I hold a not recognised by bosses UniSIM degree n a much lesser salary than u r, cos salary hit ceiling at entry grade n also due to no promotion. I dun think the recent announcement abt ite/dip can succeed things can help us push up for higher pay n go up the ladder. whatever u say, i went thru n is sad sad sad, nothing we can do...

Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I read MSOforlife's post, i thought he/she is describing the situation i am in. i guess we r abt the same age, 28days leave, many decades in the non-graduate post in the job, I hold a not recognised by bosses UniSIM degree n a much lesser salary than u r, cos salary hit ceiling at entry grade n also due to no promotion. I dun think the recent announcement abt ite/dip can succeed things can help us push up for higher pay n go up the ladder. whatever u say, i went thru n is sad sad sad, nothing we can do...
hello....I am 39 years old....what about you?

I am at my wits end cos if I quit and move on, I may not be able to get the same or higher pay and my leave benefits will definitely be lesser. I just hope and pray a miracle will happen....
Old 03-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
hello....I am 39 years old....what about you?

I am at my wits end cos if I quit and move on, I may not be able to get the same or higher pay and my leave benefits will definitely be lesser. I just hope and pray a miracle will happen....
i am 5 yrs your senior. i think u r consider lucky, still can go to div 1 n get that pay. at least u still have your children your family to enjoy the number of leave. i believe there are many sad cases n i believe many r way below what u r earning now. for me, it ruin my marriage, i lost my matrimonial flat n my other half feel as a man i provide no secure for her, cos salary forever stagnant after decades. my degree r wasted n all my aspiration are gone, n left with me are sadness n all type of unhappiness. i could not afford to quit cos of commitment to pay for maintenace fee. sometimes, i think if i have different supervisor or if i did not choose this career path, my life will be different. it still boiled down to a decison i had made. so to me, u r still consider lucky, n if your hubby works also, u have no problem for a smooth retirement. so, be happy n u should enjoy more time with your family, instead of troubled over what u cannot do. cheers
Old 03-09-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
i am 5 yrs your senior. i think u r consider lucky, still can go to div 1 n get that pay. at least u still have your children your family to enjoy the number of leave. i believe there are many sad cases n i believe many r way below what u r earning now. for me, it ruin my marriage, i lost my matrimonial flat n my other half feel as a man i provide no secure for her, cos salary forever stagnant after decades. my degree r wasted n all my aspiration are gone, n left with me are sadness n all type of unhappiness. i could not afford to quit cos of commitment to pay for maintenace fee. sometimes, i think if i have different supervisor or if i did not choose this career path, my life will be different. it still boiled down to a decison i had made. so to me, u r still consider lucky, n if your hubby works also, u have no problem for a smooth retirement. so, be happy n u should enjoy more time with your family, instead of troubled over what u cannot do. cheers
Thanks for sharing....
I am very sorry about your personal life....I think you should talk to your supervisor that this thing is affecting your personal life. Are you a Union member? Maybe they can take up your case and fight for you.

My hubby doesnt earn much also....he is just a deliveryman. But yes, we will try to make do with what we have and be contented.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Unregistered

same poster as post #83, just wondering why you guys didn't think of going private sector earlier in you career?