AML/Compliance/KYC professionals come in! - Page 12 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

AML/Compliance/KYC professionals come in!

Old 12-01-2015, 09:14 PM
Unregistered

Hey guys,

I understood that most of the AML/KYC/Compliance related positions are filled by fresh degree holders, be it local or private. May I ask if there are lower level positions for diploma business graduates?

I intend to find positions for entry-level diploma positions in these field, while pursuing part time degree at SIM (UOL B&F). So, may I understand if there are any positions for diploma at all? Or is it strictly degree level only?

Old 15-01-2015, 05:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey guys,

I understood that most of the AML/KYC/Compliance related positions are filled by fresh degree holders, be it local or private. May I ask if there are lower level positions for diploma business graduates?

I intend to find positions for entry-level diploma positions in these field, while pursuing part time degree at SIM (UOL B&F). So, may I understand if there are any positions for diploma at all? Or is it strictly degree level only?
There are KYC roles out there that employs diploma holders, but it's pretty much the exception rather than the norm. There is a bank whose head office here in Singapore is along Collyer Quay (opposite Butter Factory). Not going to name it outright, but it's not hard to find out.

As a diploma holder, be prepared to accept a contractual role in this field until you get your degree.

Old 15-01-2015, 05:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by toto View Post
Hi all, I'm going to graduate soon and am quite interested in compliance. Can I ask if I need to have a strong background in maths to be able to excel in this field? And also, what other skills would be useful? Thanks for the help!
I doubt Math would be highly regarded in the Compliance field. The optimum major will be Law (Business or otherwise) without question. Banking & Finance is the most common major among my peers too.

On a side note, regarding the questions about when to jump etc. From my personal experience, fresh out of university I got a permanent role at a investment research firm which was a glorified date entry role at a salary of 2.9k. Left after 6 months and joined an American bank's KYC team as a contractor at 3k. Left after 7 months and joined a offshore bank at 3.75k. Jumped to my current bank when my ex manager at the American Bank called me up. 10% base increment and also AWS. Hence, effectively 19.2% increment.

Dont be afraid to jump, do it early on in your career when you're young and relatively junior. Staying stagnant and comfortable will not get you far in terms of salary.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 19-01-2015, 11:02 PM

ryanlinr2 is on a distinguished road

I'm an undergrad due for completion of studies in March, and im interested in entering compliance. What would be the best method or channels to get into this industry (apart from knowing someone of course)?

I have tried looking at some of the job portals (jobstreet, jobsDB) but its kind of frustrating when you're searching for an entry level job and these jobs appear as your search results but requires 2-3 years experience
Old 22-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk View Post
How best do I do a career switch into AML when all the job adverts requiring at least 3 years experience? I almost completed my ICA dip in AML though. But everyone is looking for some form of experience.
Hi GWK, have u successfully switched to compliance?
I am thinking of entering into compliance as well, but having an engrg degree just like u. I plan to sign up for the ICA dip in AML to increase my chances. But not sure whether it will help...Any advice are appreciated.
Old 22-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Verified Member

gwk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi GWK, have u successfully switched to compliance?
I am thinking of entering into compliance as well, but having an engrg degree just like u. I plan to sign up for the ICA dip in AML to increase my chances. But not sure whether it will help...Any advice are appreciated.
Hi, yes I managed to switch into AML compliance. I completed my ICA dip in aml last year.

And yes, the ICA dip did help as according to my boss, they hoping to equip employees with at least an aml dip. Coincidentally, I manage to arm myself with that.

There's also project management experience that I did previously that sort of help.

Old 23-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Unregistered

got an offer from a jap bank at 2.9k perm role... i have 7 months of working experience in kyc role at a european bank contract role.. wonder if 2.9k is too low?
Old 24-01-2015, 02:25 PM
Unregistered

currently work as KYC/Client onboarding in a local FI, 2 years exp.

Plan to shift to compliance, can anyone advice will it be difficult for the switch ?
Old 24-02-2015, 11:22 PM

VanBasten is on a distinguished road

Running the Compliance function at a small foreign bank here, so perhaps I get give a little inside track here.

Compliance is one of the few sub-sectors in banking that has been doing exceptionally well these past few years. This is probably down to global clampdown by regulators post-crisis, amplified by the fact that most banks (especially foreign ones) would prefer to hire people with relevant experience who can hit the ground running.

You don't need a law degree to enter Compliance, although it does come in handy. Many of my fellow practitioners are in fact accounting trained. It would certainly help if you have an ICA diploma or ACAMS though. Every bit of advantage helps.

I would say generally speaking this is how it works:
Background - MAS/Industry > CAD/CPIB > ICA/ACAMS
Prospects - Compliance > AML/KYC

While a career in Compliance offers decent pay and relative job stability, fresh entrants should ponder if this is really where their passion lies. For most part, Compliance is not a very sexy or glam job, and chances are you won't be the most popular guy in office. Money can only motivate a person so much. Some food for thought.

Happy to offer my 2 cents if there are any questions.
Old 24-02-2015, 11:35 PM
Unregistered

better to quick, window of opportunity is closing soon as many banks have beefed up their compliance function and is currently reaching steady state, not expansionist state

for those who enter compliance, used to the least glamorous function, 10yrs ago, many of them are already at MD level now getting base 600k upwards. Some did better than the FO traders who are joblesss due to implications from libor/fx fixing scandals

Quote:
currently work as KYC/Client onboarding in a local FI, 2 years exp.

Plan to shift to compliance, can anyone advice will it be difficult for the switch ?