Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

In dilemma

Old 17-10-2013, 11:42 AM

mayson is on a distinguished road
Exclamation In dilemma

Hi,

I have joined an organization recently. To my dismay, I don't feel comfortable with the job responsibilities and working hours. It is to an extent that I don't foresee myself working for long at this organization. As such, I have intentions to leave the organization. However, I'm in a dilemma - should I leave the job without having any other job offers at the moment or should I stay till there is a job offer, even thr fact that it is the low period in recruitment at the moment?

Thanks!

Old 17-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayson View Post
Hi,

I have joined an organization recently. To my dismay, I don't feel comfortable with the job responsibilities and working hours. It is to an extent that I don't foresee myself working for long at this organization. As such, I have intentions to leave the organization. However, I'm in a dilemma - should I leave the job without having any other job offers at the moment or should I stay till there is a job offer, even thr fact that it is the low period in recruitment at the moment?

Thanks!
This is actually only one logical answer: stay there till there is a job offer. Unless you have huge financial stability, I see no reason why you should cut away your income while searching for a new job.

Old 17-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
Stay!!! dont leave till u got something in hand.

Old 17-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Unregistered

eh of cos stay lah, till you got a new job.

btw mind asking, what industry or what jobscope? you just join recently only, maybe still not used? you should give yourself some 'settling down' time, you dun wanna regret after you quit.
Old 17-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Unregistered

There is no dilema. If you had the financial standing to withstand prolonged unemployment, you would have given the boss a piece of your mind and resign long time ago.

The fact that you dun dare to do that means you are stuck and have to bear with it until you get another job. No dilema actually.
Old 17-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Unregistered

Another poster already said this earlier. What dilemma? There's no dilemma.

Old 17-10-2013, 09:32 PM

Thanks for replying to this thread.

My jobscope requires me to handle biological agents, some of them are life threatening or could result in serious health conditions. Together with the previous mentioned reasons, I have decided to seek other jobs. I do have sufficient savings to tide myself over for an estimated period of 10-12 months, so it's not really about being financially unstable/stucked.

I'm aware that the logical decision would be to stay in the current position till a job offer. However, I don't feel comfortable with continued interaction with these biological agents. This is the major factor that leads to the dilemma to quit without any job offer. I have asked my friends and most of them urge me to stay till I land a job offer. As such, I would like to know how would strangers advice me on this matter.

With this in mind, what would you advice me ?

Last edited by mayson; 17-10-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 18-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

My jobscope requires me to handle biological agents, some of them are life threatening or could result in serious health conditions. Together with the previous mentioned reasons, I have decided to seek other jobs. I do have sufficient savings to tide myself over for an estimated period of 10-12 months, so it's not really about being financially unstable/stucked.

I'm aware that the logical decision would be to stay in the current position till a job offer. However, I don't feel comfortable with continued interaction with these biological agents. This is the major factor that leads to the dilemma to quit without any job offer. I have asked my friends and most of them urge me to stay till I land a job offer. As such, I would like to know how would strangers advice me on this matter.

Are you working in a research lab? I use to handle viruses and carcinogenic chemicals during my stint in a research lab as well, but so long safety measures/precautions are taken, I see no reason why one will be in danger.

From what you've said, I gathered that you're still staying with your parents, single, and have no other financial commitments (e.g. study loan, housing loan, and car loan etc). That will be your advantage should you decide to quit before securing another job.

Bear in mind that the job market may not be as positive nowadays, and ask yourself if you can stand staying at home all day, attempting to look for jobs, attending numerous interviews without offers, and face the awkward situation when friends and relatives ask what are you working as.
Old 18-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Just stay.

My gut sense is deep in your brain you already know you no choice but to stay, just that emotionally you just want to go off ASAP and now asking around all over the place hoping someone will give you the justification to just resign.

Most people are dissastisfed with their company/job/boss in some manner, unless we are rich the only thing to do is to suck thumb and stay for a while and look for other jobs. Quitting without anything just damage your CV and subject you to a race against time.

Since ur savings are quite little only last 10-12 mths, by the 6-8 mth if u cant get anything you will be so desperate you will just take up anything even if pay and job sux.
Old 21-10-2013, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the reply.