Resign during probation - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Resign during probation

Old 12-09-2013, 04:56 PM

chitchatbox88 is on a distinguished road
Default Resign during probation

Hello guys. I am currently 2 months into my current job. However, recently another job which I interviewed previously came back to me with an offer.

I am really interested in the new job. So i wanted to quit my current job.

I need help on what reasons should I give to my current employers that I want to go? Its tough, cause my current employer pays me well, great benefits, no much OT, relax job, good boss and colleagues, jobscope is as what they described BUT it is just not my dream job.

So what can I tell them? If i say I am leaving for another field, will it affect how they see me?

I am so confused now.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Unregistered

Just resign and go for what you like.
I'm stuck in a job program and the longer it gets the more suffocating.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Unregistered

Default jobless fresh grad

Your welcome to give me the job. LOL

Being unemployed for some periods of time is sure getting depressing.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatbox88 View Post
Hello guys. I am currently 2 months into my current job. However, recently another job which I interviewed previously came back to me with an offer.

I need help on what reasons should I give to my current employers that I want to go? Its tough, cause my current employer pays me well, great benefits, no much OT, relax job, good boss and colleagues, jobscope is as what they described BUT it is just not my dream job.

So what can I tell them? If i say I am leaving for another field, will it affect how they see me?

I am so confused now.
i'm curious as it's hard to find a relax job that pays well. do you mind sharing what job is that? i'm looking for one as my current job is stressful although it pays quite well ($200K)
Old 13-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

I am so confused now.
You are one big joker.

In the previous thread https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/...-prospect.html you make a big show about being an MNC accountant and how you are having a dilema taking a 20% paycut to join some local co. as an analyst.

Now from this new story you are telling us you were actually an accountant in this MNC for only fcuking 2 months!?

Sorry just what exactly is so unique about this co or the analyst job to make you quit in 2 months into your job, take a 20% paycut, work longer hours, and damage your CV with a local co? From the way you describe it previously, it sounded just like another typical ops FA&R job. What exactly did they BS you that you are so smitten by them!?

And to address your previous post, an entry level FA&R sai gang job that dont even have the budget to match your current not very high pay you actually say it is comparable to a FO finance job? Is this some sort of a joke?
Old 13-09-2013, 11:53 AM

I want to clarify something. I don't study accounting but i got an accounting job by some sheer luck. Was wondering if the guest knows that Accountant career path is more or less very standard?

The Financial analyst role offered to be is not the conventional Financial Analyst Back office job. It is one that I will travel with my boss to Asian countries and source for new investment projects for the board. It is a front office role where i can go out and know people, network with people, learn how a business is discussed. Its a role which I can learn proper financial modelling, cash flow projections and revenue forecast as well.

I don't get to do them as an accountant. I am not sure if you (the guest) are in the field of accounting, but accounting is more towards backwards looking data, whereas an analyst deals with more forward looking data.

The role is very close to an investment analyst role and does bring about skillsets that can be transfer to a research analyst or investment analyst role in the future. Which makes me decide on taking on the paycut.

Sorry if i give the forum an idea that I am show off-ing my job offers or anything. I hope to clarify that I sincerely did not mean it and I have no intention to. I only want to have genuine advise for my issue.

Sorry in advance if I offended anyone. I certainly don't mean it.

Old 13-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Unregistered

Relax bro, dont think TS is trying to be funny. He is just naieve and ignorant of market pay levels. I was once like that during my early days.

I know may finance newbies think by joining as an analyst they will be meeting with important people, talk to the business and maybe be invovle in strategic decisions. Of course we all know this is rubbish as likely the job is just some basic research, fill in report templates, chase all the countries for deadline, recut and recut the same number again & again, but I know a lot of youngsters in finance have this kind of fantasy.

Local listed companies are even worse. Very heirachical with some archaic practices such as sending spreadsheets all over the place. They also tend to have lower budgets and cannot afford proper market intelligence and systems, so end up doing a lot of piecemeal patching up of data.

Sometimes youngster just need to experience pain before they wake up. Hopefully he will be smart enough to get out in 2 years, otherwise once kana condem outside of MNC field very hard to get back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are one big joker.

In the previous thread https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/...-prospect.html you make a big show about being an MNC accountant and how you are having a dilema taking a 20% paycut to join some local co. as an analyst.

Now from this new story you are telling us you were actually an accountant in this MNC for only fcuking 2 months!?

Sorry just what exactly is so unique about this co or the analyst job to make you quit in 2 months into your job, take a 20% paycut, work longer hours, and damage your CV with a local co? From the way you describe it previously, it sounded just like another typical ops FA&R job. What exactly did they BS you that you are so smitten by them!?

And to address your previous post, an entry level FA&R sai gang job that dont even have the budget to match your current not very high pay you actually say it is comparable to a FO finance job? Is this some sort of a joke?
Old 13-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The Financial analyst role offered to be is not the conventional Financial Analyst Back office job. It is one that I will travel with my boss to Asian countries and source for new investment projects for the board. It is a front office role where i can go out and know people, network with people, learn how a business is discussed. Its a role which I can learn proper financial modelling, cash flow projections and revenue forecast as well.

The role is very close to an investment analyst role and does bring about skillsets that can be transfer to a research analyst or investment analyst role in the future. Which makes me decide on taking on the paycut.
To answer to TS directly, I just want to ask 1 simple question.

Why would a company who is seriously needing an investment advisory person to be invloved in such strategic investment matters have such a cheap skate budget that they have to ask a junior accountant with no exp at all to take a paycut?

Just to add some perspective, I am from a German MNC and the role you just describe is being paid close to 300k now in my co and you are telling me your this local listed company of yours cannot even match your accounting pay?

Something is not geling dude.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 13-09-2013, 12:45 PM

Hi out to all, thanks for the reply. The company is indeed very small in size. Market cap 100+ Million.

Just for your info, this role has been created, it is not a replacement role. Secondly, the finance team is just up, so I will be working closely with my GM and my FC. We are talking about 3 persons for the whole finance/investment team. I did question how much accounting work I will be handling, but they mentioned that they have a team of accounting staffs and they handles the company accounting matters.

I do know the range of financial analyst pay is very wide and this position require a lot of credentials. I did pose the hiring manager a question, this role seems looking out for person with at least 3-4 years of relevant experience to do it, but why are you looking out for people with only 1-2 years of experience? He answered he is looking for someone younger who is willing to "get dirty" with some of the work. Getting dirty as part of my job requires me to literally gets dirty.

I see that job as a rare opportunity as I can work closely with the GM and FC. Plus its something which I want to do and have interest in.

The Hiring manager did tell me that he will adjust my pay upon my completion of my probation and will re-assess it using my performance.
Old 13-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

1 word of advice, never join this kind of SME. The guy is just looking for someone dumb enough to accept low pay and do sh.it work. I've seen so many of such nonsense from these cheapskate local businessmen.

If he really value you to do serious work, he will not stinge on the 20% pay cut and talk nonsense like promise to "review" your pay after some time.

I mean how much are you paid now? I estimate at most 10k? So he's willing to save just 2k to get a sub par person with no exp to do such supposed strategic high level work?

This kind of of market cap is not even equivalent to a local sales office of a big MNC, the FC is probably just local Finance Manager calibre in bigger companies.

Do not be blinded by all that nonsense about Asian exposure. Being involved in a $1 billion Singapore project as a small fry easily beats whatever you can learn by tagging along in a Asia $1 million project doing odd jobs.

Also note that once you are labeled as SME pedigree, it is very difficult to get back into MNC. Generally if a MNC wants to hire an analyst, they will not get someone with a few years in some never heard before SME whose pay is not even half of their budget.

Caveat emptor.

Quote:
Hi out to all, thanks for the reply. The company is indeed very small in size. Market cap 100+ Million.

Just for your info, this role has been created, it is not a replacement role. Secondly, the finance team is just up, so I will be working closely with my GM and my FC. We are talking about 3 persons for the whole finance/investment team. I did question how much accounting work I will be handling, but they mentioned that they have a team of accounting staffs and they handles the company accounting matters.

I do know the range of financial analyst pay is very wide and this position require a lot of credentials. I did pose the hiring manager a question, this role seems looking out for person with at least 3-4 years of relevant experience to do it, but why are you looking out for people with only 1-2 years of experience? He answered he is looking for someone younger who is willing to "get dirty" with some of the work. Getting dirty as part of my job requires me to literally gets dirty.

I see that job as a rare opportunity as I can work closely with the GM and FC. Plus its something which I want to do and have interest in.

The Hiring manager did tell me that he will adjust my pay upon my completion of my probation and will re-assess it using my performance.