Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

UOB Branch Operations Officer

Old 10-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
IMO, if you are in ops, you have to bank-hop OR angkat bola until at least you are in middle office. It is a dead job yes, but it depends on what you want. If you want 300-500k p.a , its almost impossible in back office. If you are looking for big money, you can go for MA programmes, or other graduate immersion programmes. Getting an interview is another matter. These positions or even IB, look for elites from ivy league universities, with extensive knowledge and experience. So if you are just an average local/pte uni student. Stop dreaming. No offence.
In theory yes, but in real life bank hopping to a bigger job is very rare and most people tend to hop laterally at the same level. This can squeeze an additional $200-$300 salary per hop, but you can only try this few times at most in your career, otherwise will damage the whole CV.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
In theory yes, but in real life bank hopping to a bigger job is very rare and most people tend to hop laterally at the same level. This can squeeze an additional $200-$300 salary per hop, but you can only try this few times at most in your career, otherwise will damage the whole CV.
Quite true, most people hop laterally at almost the same level, if not slightly higher level and to and fro. I have done it 5 times already (in my 6th bank now) so this is definitely abit more than 'you can only try this few times' at most and my CV is not quite damaged (i have good reasons for each move lol).

Also i squeezed far more than $200-$300 per hop, my average hop is ~$500 with 2 hops giving a $1000+ jump. It all depends on your role and the demand.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Quite true, most people hop laterally at almost the same level, if not slightly higher level and to and fro. I have done it 5 times already (in my 6th bank now) so this is definitely abit more than 'you can only try this few times' at most and my CV is not quite damaged (i have good reasons for each move lol).

Also i squeezed far more than $200-$300 per hop, my average hop is ~$500 with 2 hops giving a $1000+ jump. It all depends on your role and the demand.
We are talking about branch operations officer here, not your usual corporate bank job. Bank officers do not jump to 6 banks at the same level getting $500 - $1,000+ raise every time. That would imply you are now drawing $6k+ as a branch officer, I will be very interested to know what branch will pay $6k+ for an ops officer when the market is paying mostly below $3k.

If you are refering to normal BO/MO associate/analyst level jobs, $500 per hop is way too low and not worth the effort. The average I have seen is always >$1000.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
We are talking about branch operations officer here, not your usual corporate bank job. Bank officers do not jump to 6 banks at the same level getting $500 - $1,000+ raise every time. That would imply you are now drawing $6k+ as a branch officer, I will be very interested to know what branch will pay $6k+ for an ops officer when the market is paying mostly below $3k.

If you are refering to normal BO/MO associate/analyst level jobs, $500 per hop is way too low and not worth the effort. The average I have seen is always >$1000.
u obviously never work in a bank b4. it is very normal for people to get 2 to 3k raise each time they hop. anyway its a culture over there to have high turnover and job hop every 12 months so no big deal.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
u obviously never work in a bank b4. it is very normal for people to get 2 to 3k raise each time they hop. anyway its a culture over there to have high turnover and job hop every 12 months so no big deal.

Sometimes i wonder what's the big deal of working in banks, everyone thinks of the glamour of driving porsche or lamborghini and upon graduation hoping into banks, then they realized those position with good money are all already taken up by those from ivy leagues..

i mean even if you're from an MA programme, actually dont mean you are guaranteed 200k-300k in the future..
Old 13-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sometimes i wonder what's the big deal of working in banks, everyone thinks of the glamour of driving porsche or lamborghini and upon graduation hoping into banks, then they realized those position with good money are all already taken up by those from ivy leagues..

i mean even if you're from an MA programme, actually dont mean you are guaranteed 200k-300k in the future..
It is usually a combination of:

1) Ostentatious spending = Wah the guy so rich, big car, branded goods everywhere, wine & dine, I want to be like him!

2) Big title = Wah the guy just left school few years now already Vice President of Citibank, I want to be like him!

3) Pretty girls = Wah so many well groomed chio bus in banking, I want to know them!

4) Supposed big bonus = Wah I heard my firend's girldfriend's brother got 24 months bonus last year, I want to be like him!

5) Supposed connections to elite = Wah I heard my firend's girlfriend's brother got to know many tycoons and got many money making lobangs and stock tips, I want to be like him!

6) Working in CBD = Wah the guy work in CBD so cool not like other losers in Tuas, Senoko, Changi, I want to be like him!

Want to know where are the really really rich people? Go work as a bank teller and be in for a surprise! Go visit AGM of a listed company and peep at the green slip that the loser looking guy is holding, probably worth 10x of a "banker's" annual earnings.

Old 13-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Unregistered

Ah..yeah haha branch bank officer harder to hop so much, I am in corporate banking lol.

Re:

3) Pretty girls = Wah so many well groomed chio bus in banking, I want to know them! - This is quite true lol, really alot of chio bus especially in the sales and marketing side. I know quite a few myself but to bad married already hahaha.

4) Supposed big bonus = Wah I heard my firend's girldfriend's brother got 24 months bonus last year, I want to be like him! - Nowadays bonuses not so big already but still in general better then other private sectors i think.

6) Working in CBD = Wah the guy work in CBD so cool not like other losers in Tuas, Senoko, Changi, I want to be like him! - Ya lol when i was a kid my dream was to work in raffles place. But actually once you start working in RP after a while you find the area damm crowded and prefer to work in less crowded places lol.

But overall people like to join banks also cos of other things like

1) good benefits like annual leave in general ranges from 21 - 25 days even for new joiners

2) banking benefits, staff rates, staff loans etc

3) I do corporate banking so i can to monitor companies and their performance and good to decide whether or not to buy their stocks lol.
Old 13-06-2013, 11:24 AM

jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ah..yeah haha branch bank officer harder to hop so much, I am in corporate banking lol.

Re:

3) Pretty girls = Wah so many well groomed chio bus in banking, I want to know them! - This is quite true lol, really alot of chio bus especially in the sales and marketing side. I know quite a few myself but to bad married already hahaha.

4) Supposed big bonus = Wah I heard my firend's girldfriend's brother got 24 months bonus last year, I want to be like him! - Nowadays bonuses not so big already but still in general better then other private sectors i think.

6) Working in CBD = Wah the guy work in CBD so cool not like other losers in Tuas, Senoko, Changi, I want to be like him! - Ya lol when i was a kid my dream was to work in raffles place. But actually once you start working in RP after a while you find the area damm crowded and prefer to work in less crowded places lol.

1) good benefits like annual leave in general ranges from 21 - 25 days even for new joiners

3) I do corporate banking so i can to monitor companies and their performance and good to decide whether or not to buy their stocks lol.
Those points sound good enough to join a bank really!...
Old 13-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Re:

Nah, if is really is benefits the mega MNCs can offer much more. As for monitoring companies, you dont need to join a bank to do that.

At the end of the day most people want to join bank because they think they can get the money, prestige and social respect as a "banker".
Old 03-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Unregistered

Default pedro

Hi all,

Went for first round of interview for this position

Was mentioned if short-listed will be go for second round with HR and a manager

Any ideas total how many round to go and how long to wait if being short-listed?