Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

career as RSAF air force engineer ME4

Old 05-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I just came out of the forces not too long ago. Last august infact. ME1 though, good luck if u wish to go in. To me, its a good organization with hell lots of good benefit, but manage by ..... U can sit in a meeting for hours to discuss on "what-if" that never happen, if u are 'fortunate' to be posted to Airbase, Shift work is ur best friend. U should start training ur patient if u want to work in there, cos a computer takes just under 5 min to boot up. Wow, awesome. And being a ME4 u dun really have ur life, cos if u got an ass hole up there, den ur life will be pretty much shitty. I have seen really good ME4 that work really hard, learning and understanding the aircraft system, backing up the men and work for 12-16 hours a day. While there are much much more who are there to ask the men, "how ar? when can u fix the aircraft? how ar?"

For ME4 posted to any other unit, that i have no idea. So TS good luck. And there is a reason why they have problem recruiting. If u want to be in there, be someone that will be respected by ur men, else, i see no purpose.

I maybe wrong, well thats just my view.
How long were u in the force and what did u do after that? I don't think private sectors recognise your time in the force as experience right?

You were saying there are reasons why they have problem recruiting. What are those? I would like to see people opinion from the force. Haha

Anyway I think most people don't wanna join due to the regimentation that they gotta go thru. Some people just like their freedom

Old 05-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
How long were u in the force and what did u do after that? I don't think private sectors recognise your time in the force as experience right?

You were saying there are reasons why they have problem recruiting. What are those? I would like to see people opinion from the force. Haha

Anyway I think most people don't wanna join due to the regimentation that they gotta go thru. Some people just like their freedom
Not very long, i was in there for 6 years. To be honest, I love the job. Its a job that gives me satisfaction (well maybe it applies to me only). This group (the AFE) keeping our skies safe so the rest of us can sleep soundly. Depending on the field u are going to, so i cant commend if they recognise your effort. Regimentation in airforce unit is pretty minimum. If u feel that keep ur hair short, black and finger nails short and addressing ur senior when u see them is difficult, den i suggest you not to join.

As a ME1, we are the men that do the hard work, we sweat and we stink, and working thru the night shift shag us out. U go on public transport, ppl pinch their nose when u board. When u fall asleep, the next thing u know u are on stomp. And u will be famous.

If u really intend to join. My suggestion is try to wake up at 0630am a week (simulate u are reporting for work at 8 am) and the next week wake up in the noon 3-4pm (simulate u start work at 5 pm) and stay awake till 4am, 7am the worst case i seen. see if u like that kind of life for a month or so. den on one of the week end wake up at 0330 am for work.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not very long, i was in there for 6 years. To be honest, I love the job. Its a job that gives me satisfaction (well maybe it applies to me only). This group (the AFE) keeping our skies safe so the rest of us can sleep soundly. Depending on the field u are going to, so i cant commend if they recognise your effort. Regimentation in airforce unit is pretty minimum. If u feel that keep ur hair short, black and finger nails short and addressing ur senior when u see them is difficult, den i suggest you not to join.

As a ME1, we are the men that do the hard work, we sweat and we stink, and working thru the night shift shag us out. U go on public transport, ppl pinch their nose when u board. When u fall asleep, the next thing u know u are on stomp. And u will be famous.

If u really intend to join. My suggestion is try to wake up at 0630am a week (simulate u are reporting for work at 8 am) and the next week wake up in the noon 3-4pm (simulate u start work at 5 pm) and stay awake till 4am, 7am the worst case i seen. see if u like that kind of life for a month or so. den on one of the week end wake up at 0330 am for work.
So where did u proceed after you come out?

Those things that you mention reminds me of ns days. But all these shift work comes with off in lieu. Should have enough rest I guess. All job got their own down side. Its how we look at the bright side. Haha. Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
So where did u proceed after you come out?

Those things that you mention reminds me of ns days. But all these shift work comes with off in lieu. Should have enough rest I guess. All job got their own down side. Its how we look at the bright side. Haha. Thanks for sharing!
Totally agree. Yup, off in lieu. But no off in leu for ME4 and up haha.. I have seen ppl with 200+ hrs of off in lieu, but no chance to claim them.

I went to marine industry. Was lucky as i was introduce to this line by my relative. Else i also can go sell backside liao
Old 10-03-2013, 01:29 AM
Unregistered

Default Leadership quality is required for MEs

Quote:
You should try to avoid taking the ME path unless really no choice or cannot get in officer path. ME has very little career progression as this is suppose to be technical route, sort of like alternative for those with no leadership and management skill.

Normal deg grad go in at ME4 and retire at ME6, i.e. you will only promote twice in your whole life. ME8 and ME7 is almost no chance as each service has only 1 ME8 and 5-6 ME7. Although technically speaking ME4 - 6 are suppose to be equal to field grade officers, you will realise the respect, authority and prestige in SAF for ME is way below that of officers.
Hi there, I bet to differ from your views. Senior MEs are just as respected and valuable as their counterparts in the traditional Officer corp. It is just a difference in job scope.

Leadership quality is one the most important trait for a Senior ME, in my opinion. Although we as engineers are not leading men into war like a conventional soldier, we lead a team of professional engineers in maintaining the systems of war. If you think about it, do you think we require no leadership ability to lead thousands of engineer? To manage millions of dollars worth of equipment?

Engineering is a field considered as a "profession". Ask any engineering graduate and they can tell you how tough engineering school is. So in my view, engineers actually deserve a lot more respect. They are often the unsung heroes.

Cheers.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi there, I bet to differ from your views. Senior MEs are just as respected and valuable as their counterparts in the traditional Officer corp. It is just a difference in job scope.

Leadership quality is one the most important trait for a Senior ME, in my opinion. Although we as engineers are not leading men into war like a conventional soldier, we lead a team of professional engineers in maintaining the systems of war. If you think about it, do you think we require no leadership ability to lead thousands of engineer? To manage millions of dollars worth of equipment?

Engineering is a field considered as a "profession". Ask any engineering graduate and they can tell you how tough engineering school is. So in my view, engineers actually deserve a lot more respect. They are often the unsung heroes.

Cheers.
Hi, u sounded like u are in the force. can u advice how's the job inside?

How long are u into the force alr?

Old 11-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Unregistered

with a second upper or lower ntu aerospace/mechanical engineering degree, how much ME will you get for an entry level?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Unregistered

I wanted to apply LSA ME4 in rsaf. I called the rsaf hotline, the guy told me that I can't apply for ME4 LSA bcz I am not in OCS. How can it be? I got a place in ntu and I hv related diploma from SP. I won't even be given a chance to go for interview? Bcz I'm not in ocs???
Then they should put in to their criteria on their website that to apply LSA ME4 , one has to be in ocs or an officer.
I honestly think that rsaf hotline informations aren't accurate and contradict with each other .every time I call , I will get different kinds of answers for the same question. Is there any other ways I could check all the criteria for ME4 and check my eligibility , beside calling hotline and wasting my time and effort??
Help needed , urgent thanks in advance.
Old 18-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Unregistered

Hi, anyone just gotten a rejection?