Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

career as RSAF air force engineer ME4

Old 06-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
ME6 = LTC e.g. at least $11-15K. At my airbase, many MEs also hold important appointments (except combat types). Most regular grad combat officers also retire at MAJ or LTC ranks, except different retirement ages. What's the major diff here?
LTC is definitely not at least 11-15k. It is the default end rank for a mediocre degree holder, how can the default ending point for a civil servant be superscale??? Most normal sign ons reach LTC by 40, you are telling me they are all earning 5 figure salary in their late 30s!?!? Gotta be kidding me.

Also another thing the ME = Officer thing is just "common understanding". In no way are the salary ranges from these 2 completely different schemes tied together and follow each other.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 PM

cslee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
LTC is definitely not at least 11-15k. It is the default end rank for a mediocre degree holder, how can the default ending point for a civil servant be superscale??? Most normal sign ons reach LTC by 40, you are telling me they are all earning 5 figure salary in their late 30s!?!? Gotta be kidding me.

Also another thing the ME = Officer thing is just "common understanding". In no way are the salary ranges from these 2 completely different schemes tied together and follow each other.
FYI, there was a major salary revision abt 1yr+ ago. My CO only MAJ already earning $8K+. Her LTC boss is earning $11K+ and not even close to retirement. ME and officer earn about same range - just that the latter achieve sooner due to their earlier retirement age.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You should try to avoid taking the ME path unless really no choice or cannot get in officer path. ME has very little career progression as this is suppose to be technical route, sort of like alternative for those with no leadership and management skill.

Normal deg grad go in at ME4 and retire at ME6, i.e. you will only promote twice in your whole life. ME8 and ME7 is almost no chance as each service has only 1 ME8 and 5-6 ME7. Although technically speaking ME4 - 6 are suppose to be equal to field grade officers, you will realise the respect, authority and prestige in SAF for ME is way below that of officers.
what is the maximum pay scale or salary cap of ME6 ??

normally, alot or most AFE or previously AEO(old scheme after retire at 45) with Maj to Col rank join ST aerospace or SIA/SIAEC for their 2nd career option....

Old 07-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
FYI, there was a major salary revision abt 1yr+ ago. My CO only MAJ already earning $8K+. Her LTC boss is earning $11K+ and not even close to retirement. ME and officer earn about same range - just that the latter achieve sooner due to their earlier retirement age.
Even if you happen to know a LTC who is earning $11k, how does this support your earlier declaration that LTCs have "at least $11k - $15k"? Did you work in the CMPB that allows you access to SAF pay? Otherwise this seems to be nothing more than the usual kopitiam exaggeration of insider knowledge base on the fact you just happen to know 1 single LTC's pay.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Even if you happen to know a LTC who is earning $11k, how does this support your earlier declaration that LTCs have "at least $11k - $15k"? Did you work in the CMPB that allows you access to SAF pay? Otherwise this seems to be nothing more than the usual kopitiam exaggeration of insider knowledge base on the fact you just happen to know 1 single LTC's pay.
As if you know all SAF salaries, don't feel sour. If I declare I know, then I would be invited to real "kopi session" soon for leaking military secrets. I agree same rank doesn't mean same salary scale in SAF. What I can say SAF career is definitely well-paid with good work-life balance, when compared to most elsewhere. Cheers!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I cannot for a moment, understand your unwillingness to believe that an ME6 can earn as much basic pay as a combat officer of LTC rank, as they are equivalent in rank. A combat officer will have additional allowances for his vocation, and thus ending up with higher remuneration. A combat LTC can earn >$200K annually with vocational allowances and bonuses.

An ME6 earning >$11k is not a myth, not even an exception.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I cannot for a moment, understand your unwillingness to believe that an ME6 can earn as much basic pay as a combat officer of LTC rank, as they are equivalent in rank. A combat officer will have additional allowances for his vocation, and thus ending up with higher remuneration. A combat LTC can earn >$200K annually with vocational allowances and bonuses.

An ME6 earning >$11k is not a myth, not even an exception.
It is not about willingness, it's about probing more from online hearsay. The guy earlier sound like super confident earlier of pay scales in SAF, I ask him him what is the basis of his conclusion and he could only cite 1 particular LTC he know.

On the other hand I cannot for a moment, understand your willingness to believe anything that is spewed on the internet without even probing further and understanding where the asserter is coming from.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It is not about willingness, it's about probing more from online hearsay. The guy earlier sound like super confident earlier of pay scales in SAF, I ask him him what is the basis of his conclusion and he could only cite 1 particular LTC he know.

On the other hand I cannot for a moment, understand your willingness to believe anything that is spewed on the internet without even probing further and understanding where the asserter is coming from.
Maybe because we know the inside story......

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 07-02-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Maybe because we know the inside story......
Not all same rank officers are paid the same. See SAF Intelligence Corps - Salary Scale

There're scheme A, B and C.

Also, SAF introduces a new rank called Senior LTC

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/min...out/Ranks.html

Last edited by cslee; 07-02-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Look like this is the only doubting Thomas here. Leave him alone - he's free to choose anything he likes to believe. If we continue to "argue", we may all end up meeting in real "kopi session" with MSD. Here I rest my case.