Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

career as RSAF air force engineer ME4

Old 27-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestA View Post
I'm posted to aftc as an airforce tech just a few days back and I'm having a dilemma if i should sign on as an AFE(M). Primary reason is for the $$ and I wish to lighten the load from my parents and pay my own degree. I graduated with a Diploma in Mechatronics (Aerospace option) with a GPA of 3.20 with currently no uni placing yet. You could say I have the interest in the aerospace field. My current plan is to serve the 6 years bond, then get a degree (probably not signing on as ME4)
However I get the impression from many "not to sign on for $$" and "make it a life career if you sign on".
I planned to become a LAE after my further study but from what I know/heard, rsaf skills are not really applicable in the civi side, but ive also heard otherwise..

I read all of the posts here (though i'm signing on as me1 instead), really useful but I still cant make a decision.. any thoughts/advices?
IMHO, if you are gonna sign on, do it for life. The thing is, when you go to private sector from SAF, you cannot bring over much or even any skills at all. Means you start from ground zero. On top of that, private sector very fast-paced and competitive. Mindef is damn slack as compared to that, not much competition and very slow-paced. You will be so used to regular army life that you will not be able to cope when you move to private sector. Many regulars that leave the service face this problem. Anyways, if I were you, just sign on and let them pay for your degree. Then just carry on until you die. Its not too bad. The pay is good, quite stable. You will be able to afford a 5-room or a condo if you sign-on with degree. 4k/mth starting, where else can you get that kind of pay? Sure, the increment is slow. And at best, you will probably only get about 10-12k? depending on your rank and how high you go. But its still not too shabby.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
IMHO, if you are gonna sign on, do it for life. The thing is, when you go to private sector from SAF, you cannot bring over much or even any skills at all. Means you start from ground zero. On top of that, private sector very fast-paced and competitive. Mindef is damn slack as compared to that, not much competition and very slow-paced. You will be so used to regular army life that you will not be able to cope when you move to private sector. Many regulars that leave the service face this problem. Anyways, if I were you, just sign on and let them pay for your degree. Then just carry on until you die. Its not too bad. The pay is good, quite stable. You will be able to afford a 5-room or a condo if you sign-on with degree. 4k/mth starting, where else can you get that kind of pay? Sure, the increment is slow. And at best, you will probably only get about 10-12k? depending on your rank and how high you go. But its still not too shabby.
Maybe your experience in NS is slack, no competition, slow-paced, (coz u chaokeng (i'm assuming like how u assume things here)) but I can see those engineers aren't slack at all. Just like the private companies, some departments can sometimes be slack while the other departments can be super xiong. So I don't think you should lump everything together to discuss. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 16-03-2014, 11:11 PM
Unregistered

It seems many have the perception that a regular soldier's job is very slack, but I guess that impression was cultivated from their days as a NSF.

I can confidently tell everyone here that the job of a AFE engineer is very challenging, and it is definitely not one in which you can expect a boring 8 - 5.30 desk job.

What else is there to complain about when I can hear the magnificence roar of F-110 engine everyday? Or feel the powerful down wash from a heli spinning at 101% throttle... Although as an ME4 and above, you will not be the hands on guys touching these beautiful machines on a daily basis, you will still be part of the overall picture to make these machines fly.

If you have got no interest in aircraft, or in leading a team of smart and hardworking engineers, then stay away from this job. Because if you start comparing salaries, you may feel your effort far exceeds your compensation.

Old 21-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
ME6 = LTC e.g. at least $11-15K. At my airbase, many MEs also hold important appointments (except combat types). Most regular grad combat officers also retire at MAJ or LTC ranks, except different retirement ages. What's the major diff here?

Hi I am new to this forum but since I saw the forum comments about how much SAF regulars are being paid versus the other public sector and private sector jobs and was contemplating on my future career prospects.

Let's just assume that the person signing on as an ME4 straightaway after college(NUS, NTU, SMU) is going to OCS first then becoming commissioned as an ME4, he has a second lower/upper class honours degree that is suitable and necessary for a military engineer(lets use air force and navy as his preferred formation,not army). What is the starting pay, mid career salary and end of career salary, as well as how many times will he be promoted if his performance was good.

Because I am here to ask a hypothetical situation which is very relevant to me as currently studying engineering in a local singapore university, it makes sense for me to ask such questions to ensure I have proper answers.

Additionally it would be good to have a breakdown of what an ME4,5,6,7,8 earns monthly(plus or not inclusive of bonuses), so that a graduate can discover for himself whether to consider a military career from the engineering profession, climb the "corporate military ladder" and talk about career progression.

Is the officer pathway much better for the relatively good graduate or MDES scheme more profitable? Meaning to say ME4,5,6,7,8 and their officer equivalent counterparts are compensated equally in the combat and non-combat roles?

Thank you for providing much needed details to help me and others in shortening the decision process.
Old 21-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Unregistered

Don't waste time to sign on,
Its not so simple.as it seems.
I.am a ex reg and really regret
It
Old 22-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Unregistered

Default Air force engineer - maintenance | afe (m)

Hi

If sign on as AFE(M), during the 7 months training period how much will be the salary?
let say I sign on with Diploma in aerospace electronics and after sign on next year i'll be getting my bachelors degree in electronics so once i get degree will RSAF consider promoting in degree salary and position equivalent to degree?

Please advise.

Old 19-02-2015, 02:44 AM
Unregistered

my advice to any bros who are considering to apply as AFE/NE is to understand that ultimately it is a military career. even though we are considered professionals alike our peers in the private aero/marine industry, being a soldier comes first. if you have the genuine passion to play a part in national defence, you will do well!
Old 24-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Unregistered

Still thinking should i sign on using degree cert since on the market is very very bad.....
Old 24-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Still thinking should i sign on using degree cert since on the market is very very bad.....
sign lo..this is the only job left for Sinkies..lol