Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 12-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Millionaire Member

Hermit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yours not the worst. I went through one few months back. I thought the interview went really well. The interview lasted about two to three hours and there's one point of time they actually discussed about salary and benefit working there. So I went home waiting for good news as they said will discuss and let me know within one week. One week later, there's no news and I emailed the person. The person just replied " After much careful consideration, we have decided not to hire anyone for this position at the moment". Felt so negative at that time.
Your long interview means that you were really close and they seriously considered hiring you. That is a good thing. So don't give up.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Stefan

Hi all,

I quitted without a job last yr. 4 months+ later landed up on the job via a friend referral. Worked for a few months, felt that the environment and boss wasn't in favour of me. I quitted. After which I have been jobless for 6 mths already, went to multiple interviews, got rejected by some. Seeing my friends ard me doing quite well, i felt damm demoralized. Nv knew that the job market is so bad now. Those who constantly having a gd stable job throughout their career can nv understand how i feel right now. $$ is not everything but everything now is $$.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Unregistered

local chinese singaporean man here. from NUS. 1 yr working experience.

Jobless for 7 months, just secured employment with a local bank. 2.4k only. a contract role through an agency which gave me only 7 days annual leave.

my previous job paid me 3k, a perm role with lots of benefits, but because of severe political situation, I had no choice but to leave.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Hi all,

I quitted without a job last yr. 4 months+ later landed up on the job via a friend referral. Worked for a few months, felt that the environment and boss wasn't in favour of me. I quitted. After which I have been jobless for 6 mths already, went to multiple interviews, got rejected by some. Seeing my friends ard me doing quite well, i felt damm demoralized. Nv knew that the job market is so bad now. Those who constantly having a gd stable job throughout their career can nv understand how i feel right now. $$ is not everything but everything now is $$.
Hi Stefan, I understand how u feel. I have also been jobless for a few months already. Been to a few interviews but with no luck. But let's not give up ok? So what have u been doing these 6 months?
Old 12-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Lucky

[QUOTE=Unregistered;53332]Hi Stefan, I understand how u feel. I have also been jobless for a few months already. Been to a few interviews but with no luck. But let's not give up ok? So what have u been doing these 6 months?[/]

As much as I want to be employed, it all depends on LUCK.
Recently I applied a mgt exec officer - HR via career@gov for a local poly, but the HR called that the team shortlist you for a similar position with the school but sub-contracted to a agency. I asked if I am considered a civil servant, they replied no.
The agency contacted me and say the school is keen in you but only willing to pay 1.8k with 10 days AL. This is way lower than my last job in HR.

As earlier mention in this forum, I grad in 2013 and was last working as HR in a well-known acc firm.
Hopefully, there will be better offers along the way.

As much as I would like to help others who aren't in this field.
If the hiring manager is really keen in employing you, they will inform HR to contact within 2-3 working days after the interview. But that also depends, how fast The hiring manager makes decision and how much candidates HR has on hand prior to contacting.

HR generally KIV candidates if they are still pending replies for those offered. If they reject, they will offer the next. For niche positions, usually hire 1. But in accounting, law, audit, secretarial and many others, these industries are always looking.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:47 PM
Stefan

I have been asking my friends around for job opportunities. Waking up each day, going thru jobstreet and other job portal, hoping that there are suitable new job vacancies. Each day, I login to career@gov, my applied job application status is always the same. Parents will nag and they will start to worry if we will face cash flow crisis if I am jobless for a long time as there are personal, household bills etc...to pay each month. It's a matter of time savings will run out. Each time u go out, it's $$. Most of the time, will stay at home. Kind of feel aimless, depressed and lost of direction for the future as if all odds are going against me.

[QUOTE=Lucky;53333]
Quote:
Hi Stefan, I understand how u feel. I have also been jobless for a few months already. Been to a few interviews but with no luck. But let's not give up ok? So what have u been doing these 6 months?[/]

As much as I want to be employed, it all depends on LUCK.
Recently I applied a mgt exec officer - HR via career@gov for a local poly, but the HR called that the team shortlist you for a similar position with the school but sub-contracted to a agency. I asked if I am considered a civil servant, they replied no.
The agency contacted me and say the school is keen in you but only willing to pay 1.8k with 10 days AL. This is way lower than my last job in HR.

As earlier mention in this forum, I grad in 2013 and was last working as HR in a well-known acc firm.
Hopefully, there will be better offers along the way.

As much as I would like to help others who aren't in this field.
If the hiring manager is really keen in employing you, they will inform HR to contact within 2-3 working days after the interview. But that also depends, how fast The hiring manager makes decision and how much candidates HR has on hand prior to contacting.

HR generally KIV candidates if they are still pending replies for those offered. If they reject, they will offer the next. For niche positions, usually hire 1. But in accounting, law, audit, secretarial and many others, these industries are always looking.

Old 13-07-2014, 12:06 AM

floralpeace is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Stefan;53341]I have been asking my friends around for job opportunities. Waking up each day, going thru jobstreet and other job portal, hoping that there are suitable new job vacancies. Each day, I login to career@gov, my applied job application status is always the same. Parents will nag and they will start to worry if we will face cash flow crisis if I am jobless for a long time as there are personal, household bills etc...to pay each month. It's a matter of time savings will run out. Each time u go out, it's $$. Most of the time, will stay at home. Kind of feel aimless, depressed and lost of direction for the future as if all odds are going against me.

Hi stefan, u could be more active during ur unemployed period.
I take up part time (5h a day) so I could still actively have interviews in morning. Plus teach tuition in some evenings. I managed to chalk up 1.3k cash a month and still give allowance to parents plus settle own expenses. I think key thg is to still be active to gt urself more positive.
Jiayou.

Last edited by floralpeace; 13-07-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 13-07-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
local chinese singaporean man here. from NUS. 1 yr working experience.

Jobless for 7 months, just secured employment with a local bank. 2.4k only. a contract role through an agency which gave me only 7 days annual leave.

my previous job paid me 3k, a perm role with lots of benefits, but because of severe political situation, I had no choice but to leave.
Im omos same situation. Just that im still in my gap period looking for full time.
Anyway hw u explain 7 months break to prospective employer?
Old 13-07-2014, 12:24 AM
Stefan

Hi floralpeace,

Thanks for the encouragement. Can share how u find your 5 hr/day part time job and what part time job are u working as? You teach part time tuition at tuition centre?

[QUOTE=floralpeace;53342]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I have been asking my friends around for job opportunities. Waking up each day, going thru jobstreet and other job portal, hoping that there are suitable new job vacancies. Each day, I login to career@gov, my applied job application status is always the same. Parents will nag and they will start to worry if we will face cash flow crisis if I am jobless for a long time as there are personal, household bills etc...to pay each month. It's a matter of time savings will run out. Each time u go out, it's $$. Most of the time, will stay at home. Kind of feel aimless, depressed and lost of direction for the future as if all odds are going against me.

Hi stefan, u could be more active during ur unemployed period.
I take up part time (5h a day) so I could still actively have interviews in morning. Plus teach tuition in some evenings. I managed to chalk up 1.3k cash a month and still give allowance to parents plus settle own expenses. I think key thg is to still be active to gt urself more positive.
Jiayou.
Old 13-07-2014, 12:31 AM

[QUOTE=Stefan;53344]Hi floralpeace,

Thanks for the encouragement. Can share how u find your 5 hr/day part time job and what part time job are u working as? You teach part time tuition at tuition centre?

Hi stefan, I found thru gumtree. Nt too bad 9/h. Just be open to jobscopes lo. Im doing telemarketing.
My tuition is 1 to 1 private tuition.