Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 22-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy Jobless since Aug 12

Hi,

I have been jobless since Aug 12 and have not been able to secure even an interview. I am in my mid 40s. If it continues this way till end of the year, I can say goodbye to going back to the workforce forever. Really sad...

Old 23-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

I have been jobless since Aug 12 and have not been able to secure even an interview. I am in my mid 40s. If it continues this way till end of the year, I can say goodbye to going back to the workforce forever. Really sad...
Don't give up. Have you considered driving a cab? It may not earn you 7k but if you work hard you and your family can definitely get by.

Old 23-11-2012, 01:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi,

Have you tried applying govt jobs? Do they hire people aged 40+ btw?

Old 23-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi,

Ya dont give up....I was jobless for 6 months and preparing for my wedding at the same time till I got a new job recently....

But its very true that once you hit the big 40s its very hard to look for new jobs or hop around..but I think its not the end of the world coz you may get another job (but with a steep pay cut, just bear with it and take the job till something better comes along) while at the same time you can learn new skills such as getting a class 4 license, getting certified in plumbing etc and later do a sideline.

Just don't make excuses and say oh I am 40 years old too old to learn, very tired need to start all over again etc. In Singapore, no one owes you a living not even the govt, you just need to suck up to reality esp now with influx of foreigners and move on or stay stagnated.
Old 23-11-2012, 12:41 PM

poor and stupid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just don't make excuses and say oh I am 40 years old too old to learn, very tired need to start all over again etc. In Singapore, no one owes you a living not even the govt, you just need to suck up to reality esp now with influx of foreigners and move on or stay stagnated.
I beg to differ your last paragraph;quoted, while it may be true no one owes anyone a living, no one should be ROBBED of their rights.

The influx of foreign workers are stealing jobs... are YOU know it. These limitless workforce are perpetually young, fit and exploitable, they will never grow old simply because they are constantly replaced. How are you going to compete with this source of limitless energy?

Whats worse is that these people can easily take over a myriad of jobs that does not require any experienced skills (such as: labor, plumbing, driving, etc...)

We paid our dues when serving NS, and some with yearly taxes. And now that these people are old, we are simply replacing them like rubbish?

Governing a country should not be run like a business, if everyone govern their family values like a business, human population would have already been extinct!

Dun trust me, I am an "engineer", humans are declared as variables....

Last edited by poor and stupid; 23-11-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 23-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor and stupid View Post
I beg to differ your last paragraph;quoted, while it may be true no one owes anyone a living, no one should be ROBBED of their rights.

The influx of foreign workers are stealing jobs... are YOU know it. These limitless workforce are perpetually young, fit and exploitable, they will never grow old simply because they are constantly replaced. How are you going to compete with this source of limitless energy?

Whats worse is that these people can easily take over a myriad of jobs that does not require any experienced skills (such as: labor, plumbing, driving, etc...)

We paid our dues when serving NS, and some with yearly taxes. And now that these people are old, we are simply replacing them like rubbish?

Governing a country should not be run like a business, if everyone govern their family values like a business, human population would have already been extinct!

Ermm I am talking more about how you should take care of yourself by taking on an extra skillset (for side-income or whatever) rather than relying on someone else to take care of you...not going into the sg govt politics discussion etc...

Basically no matter how disappointed you are with the sg govt, no matter how much you complain etc things will still remain the same, foreigners will still come in (albeit slower rate), older folks will still get their jobs replace (this is life, this is the law of nature where the strongest survive) My point is instead of waiting for the govt to respond to you or complaining, why not take the first step and make the change (same applies for those who always complain about why their income is low, why my life like that etc.)

Here is a proverb which I heard somewhere before and I end my discussion with it: "If you want a miracle, be that miracle" .

Old 24-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor and stupid View Post

you are not an engineer, please don't embarass us. you're too stupid to be an engineer. The fact is, the whole theory of evolution is "run" based on business like principles. And humans, being the most efficient and businesslike, are now top of the food chain, with population increasing to 6 billion and counting. But if everyone was like you, yes, we would be extinct in a few generations!
Old 25-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Unregistered

We should have more protection for SINGAPOREAN (CITIZENS) WORKERS

The debate on foreign workers in Singapore is missing an important point - we dont really care about the low end jobs now filled by foreign labour in construction, maids, etc. What we very concerned about is the white collar jobs are being filled by foreigners - foreign AND Singapore PRs. These positions can be easily filled by the citizen JOBLESS GRADUATES.

Bear in mind, PRs are not Singaporeans. I see many job positions, even in the civil service, which stated for "Singaporeans and PRs". PRs are not Singaporeans - they are foreigners. Why should they be given same priority as Singaporeans?

Policy must change or else many of our SINGAPOREAN CITIZENS, esp those above 40s, will be jobless - and this is a disaster, politically.

From now on, job positions (esp the civil service) must state: "ONLY SINGAPOREANS NEED APPLY"

PRs and foreigners should be categorised the same. PRs should not be given the same priority as citizens.

We must protect our SINGAPOREAN CITIZEN WORKERS.
Old 25-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Unregistered

[QUOTE=Unregistered;30812]We should have more protection for SINGAPOREAN (CITIZENS) WORKERS

The debate on foreign workers in Singapore is missing an important point - we dont really care about the low end jobs now filled by foreign labour in construction, maids, etc. What we very concerned about is the white collar jobs are being filled by foreigners - foreign AND Singapore PRs. These positions can be easily filled by the citizen JOBLESS GRADUATES.

Bear in mind, PRs are not Singaporeans. I see many job positions, even in the civil service, which stated for "Singaporeans and PRs". PRs are not Singaporeans - they are foreigners. Why should they be given same priority as Singaporeans?

Policy must change or else many of our SINGAPOREAN CITIZENS, esp those above 40s, will be jobless - and this is a disaster, politically.

From now on, job positions (esp the civil service) must state: "ONLY SINGAPOREANS NEED APPLY"

PRs and foreigners should be categorised the same. PRs should not be given the same priority as citizens.

We must protect our SINGAPOREAN CITIZEN WORKERS.[/QUOTE

FYI, this is a forum on discussion relating to career discussion, if you want to discuss politics, suggest you bring that over to other political forum.....
Old 25-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Unregistered

wah liew off topic again....

hmm what is the typical number of applications to 1 job offer, and what is the typical number of months of job search for 1 job offer?