Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 15-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nope, im not a high flyer here, previously earned about 90+k per annum but now will be getting around 65k per annum if i accept the new job offer.
As of now, im nearly out of job for nearly 4 months and time is running out against me to get a job. The longer you are out of job, the more difficult it is for you to look for one, especially at my age. Financially, i do not have any big tickets items to pay for now though.
But as what inferno have stated, my concern is on the new salary level and the new job will be based on this rather than what i earned previously.
$65k pa is still good. your income can grow slowly. how much does your wife make? where do you stay?

i'm 45 and i earn $52k pa. i'm contented and happy to have income. i manage my expenses carefully.

Old 15-04-2015, 04:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Nope, im not a high flyer here, previously earned about 90+k per annum but now will be getting around 65k per annum if i accept the new job offer.
As of now, im nearly out of job for nearly 4 months and time is running out against me to get a job. The longer you are out of job, the more difficult it is for you to look for one, especially at my age. Financially, i do not have any big tickets items to pay for now though.
But as what inferno have stated, my concern is on the new salary level and the new job will be based on this rather than what i earned previously.
singaporeans are too proud. learn to swallow your pride and accept a lower pay, especially when you're older and your chances of finding a job have decreased. better to be earning 65k than 0k. 4 months jobless is an eternity and waiting any longer will make it even harder in future. say you find a similar job 1 year from now, you may be able to negotiate for 80-90k which will put you closer to your previous job again.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 15-04-2015, 05:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
$65k pa is still good. your income can grow slowly. how much does your wife make? where do you stay?

i'm 45 and i earn $52k pa. i'm contented and happy to have income. i manage my expenses carefully.
Wife is earning about 60k pa and we are living in HDB with 2 boys, 8 and 10. Will try to make a decision in the next 2 weeks or so on this (i got another interview coming next week though) We are living well within our means as well and thus no financial burden or so. In fact, I have enuf savings to last my family's expenditures for a few years without a job. But that is not the main point. I just want to get back to the workforce as soon as possible instead of lazying around.
The feeling of getting 30% paycut is really lousy if you will to experience it yourself. It is like the company is taking advantage of your unemployment status to its own benefits. Do you think you will even work long there if the candidate accepted the offer?

Old 15-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Wife is earning about 60k pa and we are living in HDB with 2 boys, 8 and 10. Will try to make a decision in the next 2 weeks or so on this (i got another interview coming next week though) We are living well within our means as well and thus no financial burden or so. In fact, I have enuf savings to last my family's expenditures for a few years without a job. But that is not the main point. I just want to get back to the workforce as soon as possible instead of lazying around.
The feeling of getting 30% paycut is really lousy if you will to experience it yourself. It is like the company is taking advantage of your unemployment status to its own benefits. Do you think you will even work long there if the candidate accepted the offer?
Earning a family income of $125k pa is decent. Since you have no pressing issue wih your home mortgage and living within your means, there is no pressure for you to earn a high income of $90k pa. You can always leave later if you find a better job. Why did you leave your previous job?
Old 16-04-2015, 01:35 AM
Unregistered

Sorry may be off topic. However, i just signed an employment letter for a new job and at the same day tendered my resignation letter. However, i would like to know, if it is possible for my new employer to change their mind on hiring me despite the fact that i have signed the employment letter.
Old 16-04-2015, 06:58 AM
Unregistered

The employment letter is akin to a contract, so the company is likely to keep to it. However there is usually a probation period which can be 3 months to a year. If the company does change it's mind over your employment, they will use the probation period to terminate you by not confirming you.

Quote:
Sorry may be off topic. However, i just signed an employment letter for a new job and at the same day tendered my resignation letter. However, i would like to know, if it is possible for my new employer to change their mind on hiring me despite the fact that i have signed the employment letter.

Old 16-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
possible...encountered once with a US MNC....citing organisational change...

nth u can do about it.....its a risk you have to take...
Old 16-04-2015, 04:55 PM

infernolord is on a distinguished road

I think what he meant is that if your salary is too high, then taking a paycut is fine. However based on your current pay, 30% cut from 90k per ann i think is too much.
You should try to neg to 15-20% cut the most to your new employer? If he genuinely find you a better candidate after rounds of interviews, he would not give u such huge paycut. If not, I rather you should continue looking around and do some part time jobs for now.

My case is similar to yours. I was jobless for 8 mths till i found my current job with no pay cut (same pay) During this period i took up insurance course since they are free and hunger for ppl to join them. In my resume, i explained i am still working as insurance but dont find it a job fit. (at least its cover my long breaks)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by infernolord; 16-04-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 20-04-2015, 11:02 AM
Unregistered

Hi, my colleagues are leaving one by one and sooner or later, I will be the only one left in the company. Will you leave too if the pros and cons are as below:

Pros: 'Freedom' in office, you learn and do work at your own time without any ppl rushing you and out pressure on you. Even if you are late for a 5 to 10 mins for work in the morning, the boss doesn't reprimand you, pays you the same monthly salary. Overall, the boss is kind of 'bochap' type as long as you do your work properly should be ok.

Cons: Boss and wife who is an accountant are very stingy ppl. Boss reluctant to engage associates to help out and so work which should belong to associates level will pile up and he will engage interns who are inexperienced to do the work instead, just to save costs. Boss is very lazy, don't take calls or return calls to customers but charge customers high bills and doesn't look into the files of the customers but rely on the interns to do the job. Boss will give wrong advice to customers and charge them for high bills. Boss and accountant wife tend to do 'dirty things' such as putting customer's deposit money into their own private account first then when the time to return the money to the customers, they then return. Overall, the boss is not professional in his conduct and some customers stopped engaging his service midway as the customers felt that he is not concerned over their matter and more interested in charging bills on them.

My existing colleagues are leaving one by one soon, 2 interns are leaving in July and the other colleague stated earlier that if the two interns leave, he will leave too. The other colleague of mine is planning to leave she has stayed in the company for 9 years. Will you leave too if you were me?
Old 20-04-2015, 03:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, my colleagues are leaving one by one and sooner or later, I will be the only one left in the company. Will you leave too if the pros and cons are as below:

Pros: 'Freedom' in office, you learn and do work at your own time without any ppl rushing you and out pressure on you. Even if you are late for a 5 to 10 mins for work in the morning, the boss doesn't reprimand you, pays you the same monthly salary. Overall, the boss is kind of 'bochap' type as long as you do your work properly should be ok.

Cons: Boss and wife who is an accountant are very stingy ppl. Boss reluctant to engage associates to help out and so work which should belong to associates level will pile up and he will engage interns who are inexperienced to do the work instead, just to save costs. Boss is very lazy, don't take calls or return calls to customers but charge customers high bills and doesn't look into the files of the customers but rely on the interns to do the job. Boss will give wrong advice to customers and charge them for high bills. Boss and accountant wife tend to do 'dirty things' such as putting customer's deposit money into their own private account first then when the time to return the money to the customers, they then return. Overall, the boss is not professional in his conduct and some customers stopped engaging his service midway as the customers felt that he is not concerned over their matter and more interested in charging bills on them.

My existing colleagues are leaving one by one soon, 2 interns are leaving in July and the other colleague stated earlier that if the two interns leave, he will leave too. The other colleague of mine is planning to leave she has stayed in the company for 9 years. Will you leave too if you were me?
I would quickly leave before I'm the last one left.