Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-RMIT fresh grad starting pay

Old 30-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
a lot of SIM grads becauz the co discriminate against them no choice set up own biz or do sales. end up many become richer boss and end up hiring the local grad to do all the hard work & they shake leg make money.
I've said this before, but for every 'success' story you can find from Pte Unis, you can easily hear of dozens more from local Unis. sorry to burst your bubble but such is the reality.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
My gut sense is what most of SIM regard as street smartness is actually more of being a smart ass then anything else.

If you look at some common features of street smartness such as EQ, ability to think on your feet, out of the box creativity, understanding organizational politics, leveraging on connections , deal making etc. local university grads are at least on par if not better. There is no discernible evidence to show that SIM on the whole is better or even on the same level as local uni grads in these areas.

Based on my observations, when a SIM tries to chalk up his street credentials, the emphasis is usually on dubious areas such as thrash talking, puffing, cutting corners, finding excuses for procrastinating & lousy achievements, engaging in legal/regulatory grey area activities etc. You can see a lot of these behavior patterns in SIM and any other private university oriented thread even on this forum.

But one must also note there is a certain self selection bias inherent - the good SIMs have long moved on and are likely competing on a different field in which a SIM degree is but a distant past memory. Those that are left around whining and/or boasting tend to be underachievers with self-esteem issues.
rubbish! SIM grads will always be more street smart than the local grads, who are only good at studying. companies prefer to hire us anytime because we have a feel for the real world.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
rubbish! SIM grads will always be more street smart than the local grads, who are only good at studying. companies prefer to hire us anytime because we have a feel for the real world.
Why so defensive? Why would you feel the strong urge to "protect" you and your fellow mates, to justify that in some ways, you lots are better than local grads? Chances are, for every successful story, there is a higher percentage that these people come from ivy leagues or local unis, as compared to SIM grads.

Though at the end of the day, success relies not solely on your academic credentials, but on individuals own efforts. How hard you work, the opportunities given to you, the luck that you have etc, all plays a part in the equation of success. And also, the definition of success varies from individual to individual. So there really is no point trying to say who's better than who. Unless of course you feel insecure and try to boost your morale by deluding yourself that you're the best among the rest.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Why so defensive? Why would you feel the strong urge to "protect" you and your fellow mates, to justify that in some ways, you lots are better than local grads? Chances are, for every successful story, there is a higher percentage that these people come from ivy leagues or local unis, as compared to SIM grads.

Though at the end of the day, success relies not solely on your academic credentials, but on individuals own efforts. How hard you work, the opportunities given to you, the luck that you have etc, all plays a part in the equation of success. And also, the definition of success varies from individual to individual. So there really is no point trying to say who's better than who. Unless of course you feel insecure and try to boost your morale by deluding yourself that you're the best among the rest.
don't feed the troll, dude
Old 02-07-2015, 11:13 PM
micmic

Talking

26yo

Highest Qualification
N Level & O Level

2011 - $1200 pm
2013 - $2600 pm
2014 - $4000 pm
now - + bonus $6000 pa.

I am thinking taking up easy graduate dip and degree like marketing.
Any suggestion? that easily graduate with one eye close?
Thanks
Old 03-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Unregistered

Default NCMedi account

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmic View Post
26yo

Highest Qualification
N Level & O Level

2011 - $1200 pm
2013 - $2600 pm
2014 - $4000 pm
now - + bonus $6000 pa.

I am thinking taking up easy graduate dip and degree like marketing.
Any suggestion? that easily graduate with one eye close?
Thanks

Rmit loh
I am sure many will agree.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Unregistered

That being said, although easy to pass,it might not be easy to score.
Old 29-07-2015, 03:52 AM
Unregistered

Default Current update

Quote:
RMIT E&F
2013 - 2.3k (small foreign house)
2014 - 3.7k (jump to local house)
2015 - 4.1k (increment)
how do i fare?
2015 mid - 5k (jump to foreign pb)
Old 31-07-2015, 05:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
My gut sense is what most of SIM regard as street smartness is actually more of being a smart ass then anything else.

If you look at some common features of street smartness such as EQ, ability to think on your feet, out of the box creativity, understanding organizational politics, leveraging on connections , deal making etc. local university grads are at least on par if not better. There is no discernible evidence to show that SIM on the whole is better or even on the same level as local uni grads in these areas.

Based on my observations, when a SIM tries to chalk up his street credentials, the emphasis is usually on dubious areas such as thrash talking, puffing, cutting corners, finding excuses for procrastinating & lousy achievements, engaging in legal/regulatory grey area activities etc. You can see a lot of these behavior patterns in SIM and any other private university oriented thread even on this forum.

But one must also note there is a certain self selection bias inherent - the good SIMs have long moved on and are likely competing on a different field in which a SIM degree is but a distant past memory. Those that are left around whining and/or boasting tend to be underachievers with self-esteem issues.

Grey area activities are part of life lol. If you havent realised this yet...oh dear...
If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!
Old 31-07-2015, 09:53 PM
Unregistered

chill chill... Why compare leh? Certainly, I believe education certification is indeed important as it shows your capability in learning, and that's it.

Of course, employer wish to hire someone who can learn quick and fast but not only that, also someone who is able to implement what they learn, if not wasted also right.

I believe each individual has their own unique strength, no doubt. So find your strength and utilize it rather than coming here to fight over this and that.

I also believe in harsh reality. Certainly, I understand how SIM grads feel when they were put down by local uni grads. I have been in the same situation before when I was in secondary school (NA class, the lousiest NA class that you can ever imagine). Imagine the teacher dont really give us much hope to go to poly, as they only bring us around to ITE and understand their course.

I was furious, but I told myself to prove the teacher that I, together with some of my classmates who felt this way, prove our teacher wrong by studying hard and prove that we can do it. by doing that, not only that I prove to my teachers and parents that I can do it, I also prove to myself and open my own path to where I am now.

After graduate, I told myself, getting a degree so what? What can I do with it? Practically no use at all if I am unable to perform or give my very best in the task I was given.

Sorry for the wall of text, but what I am trying to say is, be yourself, believe in yourself but also set a realistic expectation based on the society point of view. I am a second lower nus grad, but my English or cui to the max. But who cares, I got other skills that I am good at, like presentation, able to adapt quick, pick things up fast. I compensate to my not so good degree and my cui language.

So mai fight over such a small matter, just give it your best and do well in your life. This is what you can do for yourself.