Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Mining Industry (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1866-mining-industry.html)

Minex 24-04-2012 11:29 AM

Mining Industry

I notice there are getting more and more mining companies beingsetup in Singapore, E.g BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto , Anglo American. I am very keen to join in this industry. Is there anyone working in the mining industry?

Unregistered 24-04-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minex (Post 24164)
I notice there are getting more and more mining companies beingsetup in Singapore, E.g BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto , Anglo American. I am very keen to join in this industry. Is there anyone working in the mining industry?

Basic lower than government, but bonus very high 9-12 mths depending on performance.

Unregistered 24-04-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24166)
Basic lower than government, but bonus very high 9-12 mths depending on performance.

My colleagues told me Rio paid out close to 10mth last year, but basic is low. I'm chem engineering 2nd upper join them this year only got 2850, HR told me they compensate by AWS with 2mth.

Unregistered 24-04-2012 11:03 PM

My friend joined BHP billiton as a fresh graduate and he is getting 3.6+...with benefits 21 days of leaves and paternity leaves of at least 16 weeks ( meaning if his wife has a baby, he get 16 weeks of leaves too ). I am keen to join the mining industry too

Too many people want to join the financial industry. E.g Banks. I think mining industry pay just as gd as them, if not better.

Unregistered 24-04-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24167)
My colleagues told me Rio paid out close to 10mth last year, but basic is low. I'm chem engineering 2nd upper join them this year only got 2850, HR told me they compensate by AWS with 2mth.

wow..2 mth AWS is gd

So your annual package is 2850 * ( 12+2+10) = 68.4K. That is very gd!

Unregistered 25-04-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24167)

Not bad if you think long term as salary increments are much higher in this industry. Average performer is about 8 to 10% & top performer >15%, so your basic can catch up with others in a few years.

IIRC Rio has a super generous benefit package also.

Unregistered 30-07-2012 08:43 PM

Interest in Rio's Bonus

Hello,

Could anybody working in Rio Tinto or has worked there previously verify the 9-10 months bonus in that company? Doesnt seem very accurate according to the below glassdoor and Vault information (Vault has a profile that states that "bonuses are about 10 to 15% of base salary", and another profile states that "approx 5-12% of salary" which is hardly near the 9-10 months bonus posted by one of the unregistered guests commentators here):

Rio Tinto Salaries in Singapore | Glassdoor

Rio Tinto Careers: Vault Career & Hiring Profiles

Thanks.

Unregistered 01-08-2012 07:15 PM

Mining Industry

Any one knows?

Unregistered 01-08-2012 09:53 PM

i guess it depends on the position & what scheme you are on.

i used to be from corp function & we were measured by goup level, it was 3.7 and 4.3 mth for the 2 years there. HR told me it depends on indv performance as well

Unregistered 02-08-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24191)
Too many people want to join the financial industry. E.g Banks. I think mining industry pay just as gd as them, if not better.

No way the mining industry pays better. If you look at just salary and not environment or working hours, the top are still finance and law, average out.