Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 29-10-2015, 08:46 PM
Verified Member

jjason is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Live within your means. What is considered basic to you may be luxurious to others! For example, if I am really poor, no way will taxi be even within my consideration. Too late for public transport? Then don't stay out too late!

With your kind of reasoning, the bottom 20% of Singaporeans (family income less than $1,500 per month) must be living like 3rd world country standards to you. If you really open your eyes to look around, those who are really trying to squeeze their budget will bring food from home, drink plain water only, walk to MRT instead of taking bus, cut down on expenses (i.e. watch movies, buy clothes etc.), work 2 jobs intead of 1 etc. MRT now offer free rides before peak period, so transport can technically be free (if you're working in CBD area). Just wake up earlier!

So what is necessity to you? Obviously you have not been put through the mill to truly understand.
i have lived around the world, including in some really poor regions.

i am not sure if you have tasted what is 'third world lifestyle' before, if you have, i guarantee you you will want to get as far away from it as possible, and appreciate every small thing in singapore or sydney or any developed city.

and those earning 1.5k are indeed considered poor in singapore, with 2 parents working they are merely surviving.

i am not rich but i am merely stating the reality of the cost of living/retirement in singapore. well thanks for letting me know about the 120 sgd ez link card i will buy it one day when i am back in singapore.

Old 29-10-2015, 08:49 PM
Verified Member

jjason is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Back when I earned 4k per month (before CPF), I had some nice meals at restaurants over the weekend, covered myself with sufficient insurance, took a yearly holiday to a decent Asian country flying SIA (economy of course), and still had enough for savings and investment every month.

Over the years and after changing a few jobs, my pay has risen decently. Someone suggested $8 for lunch and dinner EACH? My lunch costs only $4, which gets me a decent plate of chicken rice with egg, or some fishball noodles, wanton mee, sometimes nasi lemak with chicken wing and sunny side up egg. For $9-10 I've settled lunch and dinner (something slightly better for dinner after a long day at work). And seriously, some of these food taste way better and are more filling than some $20 main course at a restaurant. All in all food costs $150 per week, inclusive of some good restaurant food over the weekend.

$400 for taxis? I don't even think I spend $400 in a year on taxis, let alone a month. I spend $200 on public transport per month, that's for a bus ride to the MRT, then a MRT ride into town, and vice versa to get home. No free rebates.

Over the weekend I just booked my new car, which fits comfortably into my monthly budget. But I guess for you, you will need to earn 10k or 20k per month first.
how long ago was this? what is your weight? an adult male about 70kg needs 2500-3k calories a day just to maintain his weight.

lunch and dinner like yours will not maintain 2500 calories and may be lacking in certain vitamins and minerals.

oh yes, i also take basic supplements such as fish oil, vitamins and try to eat some fruits and vegetables daily (another 3-5 sgd) daily.

we haven't considered the costs of those.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Unregistered

Default Maximum pay of normal teacher

Just to share with those interested. I have been teaching for about 12 years since I graduated from NUS. I don't hold any leadership position or posts in school. I'm an average performer who gets the standard promotions that come every few year so in other words, I'm just your basic teacher. I think I'm almost at the top of the pay scale for a normal teacher (Can't really tell after the changes this year. I was at my max on the old scale though). My gross pay is about $7700. Honestly if you include the employer's CPF contribution, 13th month pay and various bonuses, the total pay package for a normal teacher can easily be above 100k per year. That's not a bad deal given the fact that its a recession proof job. Still if you are in it for the money, its doubtful that you can last long. I've had so many friends who couldn't take it and have already left teaching. So do think about it carefully before you decide. It's painful to go to work when you really dislike what you are doing.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Just to share with those interested. I have been teaching for about 12 years since I graduated from NUS. I don't hold any leadership position or posts in school. I'm an average performer who gets the standard promotions that come every few year so in other words, I'm just your basic teacher. I think I'm almost at the top of the pay scale for a normal teacher (Can't really tell after the changes this year. I was at my max on the old scale though). My gross pay is about $7700. Honestly if you include the employer's CPF contribution, 13th month pay and various bonuses, the total pay package for a normal teacher can easily be above 100k per year. That's not a bad deal given the fact that its a recession proof job. Still if you are in it for the money, its doubtful that you can last long. I've had so many friends who couldn't take it and have already left teaching. So do think about it carefully before you decide. It's painful to go to work when you really dislike what you are doing.
Nobody considers employer's CPF as pay actually.

So if I am correct you are probably on a 16 month package, i.e. 7700 X 16 = 123,200?

It reaffirms my belief that civil service is actually very good in terms of total pay. Thats why I don't understand why all those young grads are so narrow view that they just want to join a bank no matter what even if its ops or branch sales.

Civil service glass ceiling is definitely lower than a bank and most people won't make it to superscale even when they retire, but honestly unless you are really good at sales or in the IB side, I don't think there are many 'bankers' that are making 123k after working 12 years.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Unregistered

What will be the starting pay for mid career who join the teaching profession? Any one knows?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
What do yr friends don't like abt the job? Or in your opinion, what are the difficulties that deter people from staying?

What do they ask during interviews? How many rounds are there?

Old 05-11-2015, 10:03 PM
Ex Teacher

Quote:
Nobody considers employer's CPF as pay actually.

So if I am correct you are probably on a 16 month package, i.e. 7700 X 16 = 123,200?

It reaffirms my belief that civil service is actually very good in terms of total pay. Thats why I don't understand why all those young grads are so narrow view that they just want to join a bank no matter what even if its ops or branch sales.

Civil service glass ceiling is definitely lower than a bank and most people won't make it to superscale even when they retire, but honestly unless you are really good at sales or in the IB side, I don't think there are many 'bankers' that are making 123k after working 12 years.
I totally agree with u. I spent 10 yrs in MOE as teacher and thinking that the grass is greener on the other side I naively joined bank sales. Perhaps it is the perceived prestige or otherwise I am only currently earning less than half of what I used to earn in civil service. The title civil servant may not be as glamorous as a so called banker but it is the money that ultimately counts as deciding factor. Of course the top bankers will still earn much more than a top teacher or principal but don't forget that likely the civil servant job is probably more stable in the greater scheme of things. But to each his own.there is no right or wrong lah. Will I go back to teaching? Likely not since I have made the decision. I do enjoy my sales role though meeting people and trying to improve my sales month on month..year on year.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjason View Post
how long ago was this? what is your weight? an adult male about 70kg needs 2500-3k calories a day just to maintain his weight.

lunch and dinner like yours will not maintain 2500 calories and may be lacking in certain vitamins and minerals.

oh yes, i also take basic supplements such as fish oil, vitamins and try to eat some fruits and vegetables daily (another 3-5 sgd) daily.

we haven't considered the costs of those.
I can assure you the $20-30 restaurant meal you eat is no better in calories and vitamins as compared to a hawker centre meal.

But anyway, I make good money now so it's a conscious choice to eat hawker food. We have very good hawker food at cheap prices. Go overseas and it's hard to find cheap and good food.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
What will be the starting pay for mid career who join the teaching profession? Any one knows?
It depends on your class of degree and relevant working experience.. There will give some increments based on your working experience, up to a cap of about $4300 for untrained teachers.. After completing the compulsory contract teaching in school (anything from 1-2 years) and training in NIE (1 year), there will be additional increments given..
Old 06-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Unregistered

Default Mid-career applicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Teacher View Post
I totally agree with u. I spent 10 yrs in MOE as teacher and thinking that the grass is greener on the other side I naively joined bank sales. Perhaps it is the perceived prestige or otherwise I am only currently earning less than half of what I used to earn in civil service. The title civil servant may not be as glamorous as a so called banker but it is the money that ultimately counts as deciding factor. Of course the top bankers will still earn much more than a top teacher or principal but don't forget that likely the civil servant job is probably more stable in the greater scheme of things. But to each his own.there is no right or wrong lah. Will I go back to teaching? Likely not since I have made the decision. I do enjoy my sales role though meeting people and trying to improve my sales month on month..year on year.
Hi, I'm doing the exact opposite from u. I'm in banking sales for about 15 yrs now and making a switch to teaching. The income in banking sales is good if u do well and basic pay is also very substantial when u move up to private banking, which is where I am for the past 10 yrs. BUT the stress is even more substantial. Don't envy what u see of bankers, yes there are big bonuses, fast cars, big houses. But more often than not, unless u truly love selling, it's a matter of time before u get burnt out by the sales targets. And during recessions, this job is not safe. Of coz, teaching job is not easy either, but it's undeniable that it's a recession proof job. All being said, it's good that u enjoy your work, all the best.