Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 26-07-2013, 05:31 PM

lostintransit is on a distinguished road
Default mid career teacher

Hi all,

I am a science researcher at one of the local universities looking to join MOE as a teacher. I have applied for the MOE PGDE earlier in July, was asked to submit transcripts/cert and am now waiting to hear back from them.

I am deciding to take the plunge into teaching is because I would like to inspire younger people and ignite a passion for science within these young people. My peers have suggested lecturing at poly given my academic background (bachelor of science and postgrad research degree), but I would rather teach because it is at a more personal level. I have done some teaching at the tertiary level but I find it rather impersonal as it is mostly about the transfer of information. Teaching in Sec schools or JC is a different thing. Apart from teaching, teachers are also counsellors and mentors to their students. This what appeals to me the most. I would like to be a part of guiding younger people as they discover their interests and direction.

I am well-aware of the approximately 30-40% pay cut that I may get, and I am aware of the downsides of being a teacher (my close friends are teachers at Sec schools, and they often share their agony), but I am challenged.

I am however wondering about the chances of being short-listed for an interview with MOE in the first place. I am not a local graduate, did my Pre-U, B.Sc and post-grad overseas (lower in rank than NUS, but better in rank than NTU in 2013), but did my O levels (6 A's, 1 B) in Singapore. I have however been working as a researcher in one of these two local uni since returning to Singapore (2.5 years ago). Would being an overseas degree holder lower my chances of being short-listed by MOE? Does anyone know what MOE looks when they short-list candidates for interview?

Thank you!

Old 28-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Unregistered

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintransit View Post
Hi all,

I am a science researcher at one of the local universities looking to join MOE as a teacher. I have applied for the MOE PGDE earlier in July, was asked to submit transcripts/cert and am now waiting to hear back from them.

I am deciding to take the plunge into teaching is because I would like to inspire younger people and ignite a passion for science within these young people. My peers have suggested lecturing at poly given my academic background (bachelor of science and postgrad research degree), but I would rather teach because it is at a more personal level. I have done some teaching at the tertiary level but I find it rather impersonal as it is mostly about the transfer of information. Teaching in Sec schools or JC is a different thing. Apart from teaching, teachers are also counsellors and mentors to their students. This what appeals to me the most. I would like to be a part of guiding younger people as they discover their interests and direction.

I am well-aware of the approximately 30-40% pay cut that I may get, and I am aware of the downsides of being a teacher (my close friends are teachers at Sec schools, and they often share their agony), but I am challenged.

I am however wondering about the chances of being short-listed for an interview with MOE in the first place. I am not a local graduate, did my Pre-U, B.Sc and post-grad overseas (lower in rank than NUS, but better in rank than NTU in 2013), but did my O levels (6 A's, 1 B) in Singapore. I have however been working as a researcher in one of these two local uni since returning to Singapore (2.5 years ago). Would being an overseas degree holder lower my chances of being short-listed by MOE? Does anyone know what MOE looks when they short-list candidates for interview?

Thank you!

u want a real challenge whereby u hope to inspire the next generation and leave a legacy?

u want to be really involved and not only transfer of information etc.?

why not join ITE as a lecturer? it is beyond teaching, beyond lecturing and definitely, very involved in students' development not only as a student but as an individual.

i would think that your pay-cut will not be that huge but that is secondary, clearly.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Unregistered

Hi, after reading through the moe website, i found out that all applicants must go through the Entrance Profiency Test. Ministry of Education, Singapore: Teaching as a Career: Applying to be a Teacher: Entrance Proficiency Test

Question is, how can i prepare for it?

Old 02-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, after reading through the moe website, i found out that all applicants must go through the Entrance Profiency Test. Ministry of Education, Singapore: Teaching as a Career: Applying to be a Teacher: Entrance Proficiency Test

Question is, how can i prepare for it?
Not all applicant needs to take the EPT.

quote from their website:

"Exemption Criteria

Candidates who fulfil any of the criteria below are exempted from the EL EPT.

Honours degree / Pass with merit / Pass degree graduates / Final year undergraduates with English Language or English Literature as the major Subject OR
Applicants who scored at least a Grade B3 in General Paper (English) / Grade B in H1 General Paper / Grade B in H2 Knowledge and Inquiry at the GCE ‘A’ Level Examination OR
Applicants who scored at least a Grade B3 in English Language (EL1) at the GCE ‘O’ Level Examination OR
Applicants who scored at least a Grade B3 in English Paper 121, 1120 or 1119 at SPM OR
Applicants who scored at least a Grade 5 in English at the International Baccalaureate Examination OR
Applicants who scored at least an overall cap of 3.5 in English Language in the NUS High School Diploma."
Old 02-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not all applicant needs to take the EPT.

quote from their website:

"Exemption Criteria

Candidates who fulfil any of the criteria below are exempted from the EL EPT.

Honours degree / Pass with merit / Pass degree graduates / Final year undergraduates with English Language or English Literature as the major Subject OR
Applicants who scored at least a Grade B3 in General Paper (English) / Grade B in H1 General Paper / Grade B in H2 Knowledge and Inquiry at the GCE ‘A’ Level Examination OR
Applicants who scored at least a Grade B3 in English Language (EL1) at the GCE ‘O’ Level Examination OR
Applicants who scored at least a Grade B3 in English Paper 121, 1120 or 1119 at SPM OR
Applicants who scored at least a Grade 5 in English at the International Baccalaureate Examination OR
Applicants who scored at least an overall cap of 3.5 in English Language in the NUS High School Diploma."
Well, sadly i got C6 for Eng in my O'level, and my Honours degree dun have english as a major... any idea on how to pass this?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Well, sadly i got C6 for Eng in my O'level, and my Honours degree dun have english as a major... any idea on how to pass this?
I hate teachers with incompetent english. English is the medium of which you will be teaching, you better get it up to par. Even if you are teaching math or science, you better be able to communicate well with students. Without good communication, no matter how good you are, you will never be able to put your points across. Do all of our children a favor by not applying please.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I hate teachers with incompetent english. English is the medium of which you will be teaching, you better get it up to par. Even if you are teaching math or science, you better be able to communicate well with students. Without good communication, no matter how good you are, you will never be able to put your points across. Do all of our children a favor by not applying please.
Getting C6 for O level english doesnt mean that the poster has bad communication skills. -.-
Old 05-08-2013, 04:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Getting C6 for O level english doesnt mean that the poster has bad communication skills. -.-
I beg to differ. O level English is too easy. Ever tried A level GP? O level English is damn simple. Don't have to study still can get A2. No good also B4 should be as bad as you can go. C6 is like China/bangla standard.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Verified Member

gingerbreadb0y is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Personally, I rather prefer a teacher with passion even though he or she gets only a C6 for english than to get a teacher with A1 english but have no idea what he or she is trying to bring across... Cuz i know eventually, the teacher will somehow make an effort or way to bring the idea across... I met one good english speaking teacher with very bad communication skills ... Totally screwed the subject.

But then it will of course be good to have both passionate and good english speaking ones.

Cheers
Old 07-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadb0y View Post
Personally, I rather prefer a teacher with passion even though he or she gets only a C6 for english than to get a teacher with A1 english but have no idea what he or she is trying to bring across... Cuz i know eventually, the teacher will somehow make an effort or way to bring the idea across... I met one good english speaking teacher with very bad communication skills ... Totally screwed the subject.

But then it will of course be good to have both passionate and good english speaking ones.

Cheers
Totally agree. Most importantly teachers should refrain from using jargons just to show off their english skills.