Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 03-05-2018, 12:10 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoshi View Post
Did anyone apply for open posting before? How is the interview process like?
I am thinking of applying for open posting but I do not know what I should say to my P when she ask me the reason for transferring to a new school.
You can always be real and tell your P if you want to explore new working environment. Be sincere. Anw, there isn’t an obligation for you to inform your P but for courtesy purpose, just let your P know. Don’t let whatever she says hold you back if you really want to try for open posting. No one (but only yourself) can stop you from applying for open posting. If your records all the while is good, your P will not be able to stop your application.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does anyone know how to deal with incompetent teachers/KPs?
Speak up! Be the agent of change. Do things differently. If you think they are not leading the department in the right manner, then as a thinking adult, you be the agent of change. Start by changing what you can affect immediately (Eg your teaching in the classroom). Speak to your school leaders. To be honest, many school leaders are actually thinking leaders but no one dares to speak to them. Voice out. The bottom line is don’t be silent. When people see that you can produce results, they will start to believe you. So, other than speaking up, you need to take action (which you can show results) to prove their incompetency.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Speak up! Be the agent of change. Do things differently. If you think they are not leading the department in the right manner, then as a thinking adult, you be the agent of change. Start by changing what you can affect immediately (Eg your teaching in the classroom). Speak to your school leaders. To be honest, many school leaders are actually thinking leaders but no one dares to speak to them. Voice out. The bottom line is don’t be silent. When people see that you can produce results, they will start to believe you. So, other than speaking up, you need to take action (which you can show results) to prove their incompetency.
It's a bit hard for normal teachers imo. Performance grades and bonuses are mostly decided by the KPs and they may mark people down for that. And I think it's the same for most organisations. No wonder most Singaporean employees just keep quiet about it.

As for proving them to be incompetent, it can be done, but it usually takes a lot of time. Affected teachers can still opt to transfer out; but in the meantime, I really pity the students who are affected by the damage done due to their incompetencies.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:06 PM
Verified Member

singsongplaymj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Does anyone know how to deal with incompetent teachers/KPs?
Define incompetent.

If you are dealing with irresponsible teachers who cannot perform up to expectations, cannot adhere to deadlines etc, speak with the person first to see how you can work things out. Next level would be your own RO. Let your RO speak with the other RO.

If KPs are not supportive, especially when it is your RO, speak with with him or her to highlight how you wish to be better supported so that when there is a need to go to the SLs level, at least you have done your due diligence to communicate with the RO.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:17 PM
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
I believe it's around 1.5 for C, 2.0 for C+, 2.5 for B. There's some variability - I've received 0.1 less before; so maybe 2.1 is possible for C+?
That depends. I got a C, 2.0 , C+ 2.2 and B 2.7.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherlyj View Post
Currently a diploma holder,

Joined my current school in 2014,

Promoted from GEO1 to GEO 2 in 2017.

current pay: 2750.

Performance grade: C, C+ C

Currently doing SUSS part time degree but I heard from colleagues that even with a grad cert from suss, the pay increment is little (like take home $400 more only) and not comparable to people graduated from NIE with a degree. ): Felt really sad when I heard this. Is this true?

Also, wondering how long would I be staying in GEO 2? ):
and also considering the NIE degree programme for non graduate teachers but i know that would be two years without any pay ): (Not sure if i can survive two years without any pay) and biggest concern is if i would be posted back to my current school after 2 years(pretty like the environment here). So not sure if i should apply next year.

Any experienced teachers can help me out on this?

Thank you!
I'm like you. Joined in 2014 and got promoted in 2017. Salary drawn was 2.8k. PB grade were C, C+ B, C+ (after promotion)

I have friends who are females and got themselves emplaced in the new salary, she's drawing 3.4k per month now after submitting her degree transcript. If you are a guy, u could be slightly higher or somewhere near. I'm not exactly sure, but will get u updated once I got the money. I'm in my final semester now.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:46 PM
laoshi

Quote:
You can always be real and tell your P if you want to explore new working environment. Be sincere. Anw, there isn’t an obligation for you to inform your P but for courtesy purpose, just let your P know. Don’t let whatever she says hold you back if you really want to try for open posting. No one (but only yourself) can stop you from applying for open posting. If your records all the while is good, your P will not be able to stop your application.
Yeah, I think it is time for me to leave. Lately, I have been depressed with work because my new RO has been making me feel like I am an incompetent teacher. I think it is better for me to leave before this new RO gives me D for work review and then I am stuck with that school.
Old 15-05-2018, 05:51 PM
Hazel

Default Flexi Adjunct

Hi fellow teachers,

After 6 years in teaching, I just tendered my resignation. I really enjoy teaching but
Admin work is really driving me away from sanity. .

However, I would like to join back MOE but as a flexi adjunct teacher. Does anyone here have any
Idea if it would be difficult for me to join back?

Thank you!
Old 15-05-2018, 07:17 PM
Unregistered

Anyone got shortlisted for interview already?
Old 15-05-2018, 09:58 PM

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherlyj View Post
Currently a diploma holder,

Joined my current school in 2014,

Promoted from GEO1 to GEO 2 in 2017.

current pay: 2750.

Performance grade: C, C+ C

Currently doing SUSS part time degree but I heard from colleagues that even with a grad cert from suss, the pay increment is little (like take home $400 more only) and not comparable to people graduated from NIE with a degree. ): Felt really sad when I heard this. Is this true?

Also, wondering how long would I be staying in GEO 2? ):
and also considering the NIE degree programme for non graduate teachers but i know that would be two years without any pay ): (Not sure if i can survive two years without any pay) and biggest concern is if i would be posted back to my current school after 2 years(pretty like the environment here). So not sure if i should apply next year.

Any experienced teachers can help me out on this?

Thank you!
I think it also depends on your honours, and the relevance and academic rigor of your degree based on the institution you are in.

A female fresh grad with NTU-NIE degree, 2nd lower, will probably get 3.6k gross. I also have a friend who teaches music in the school. Used to be on advanced dip but went to take SIM music education degree which is recognized by NIE. Her salary was bumped up to quite a similar amount (3.4k) as a 2nd lower, albeit a little lower than the NTU grad.

As for how long you will stay in GEO2, if you get your degree eventually and submit, it should take maybe 3 years or less. If not. Usual progression from GEO2 to GEO 3 is around 2 years for degree/PGDE, and 4 years for Diploma.

NIE degree programme, should you decide to take it yourself, can be quite costly. I have friends who opted to take it on their own after a 2-year dip stint in schools. Firstly, there will be no pay. Secondly, they have to pay for every semester they attend. But of course when they grad they are getting the degree pay which will be a huge bump from their 2-year dip salary. Maybe you just calculate on your end whether if it is worth it to take? But you should check if your SUSS degree really only gets you +400 because that may not be the case since it depends on quite a number of factors.

As for posting back to school. New MOE directive is that teachers who are away from school for more than 1 year (be it for studies, maternity leave, NPL for any reasons) will be out of the school's strength. So MOE will post you again once you 'rejoin'.