Job Application with MOE (non-teaching position) - Page 13 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Job Application with MOE (non-teaching position)

Old 24-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPO View Post
In our local non profit sector, no GM or ED's salary has ever hit 100K per annum...thanks to NKF...the highest I gotten was 7.5K. I took a pay cut of 1K for my last drawn.

Also, the AM post at MOE would be a foundation posting and since I am changing industry, I am happy to start somewhere, anywhere.

I am going to hit the big 50 in a couple of years time...how about some encouragement for me...I know you meant well...but trust me, its lonely at the top and when I look back at those times when I was a young officer, I really miss the camaraderie among staff level.
Oh NKF... Sorry I was under the impression you were a Executive Director in the public sector like a ministry or stat board, hence my reply was geared towards that. NKF's job titles are a completely different thing altogether.

I know it sounds discouraging, but the truth is I doubt recruiters in the market including the public sector would consider that as 8 years of senior level management experience. In terms of both pay and job complexity, most would equate that as a middle or mid-low level management in public sector/GLC and maybe even non-management senior associate level in bigger MNCs.

Anyway since you want to take on admin roles, there's really no need to restrict yourself to a school AM. There's plenty of opportunities in ministries and stat boards which are admin/planning in nature at around the AD/SM level which are IMO more suitable for you.

Those jobs will also be more challenging/empowered and allow you to make use of your skills and in the process learn from colleagues who are at or higher than your level. Even if you get this job, you go in there do basic office work done by counterparts in their 20s and early 30s and get forever pay freezed due to cap without progression really not a good fit.

Old 24-12-2017, 11:00 PM
Unregistered

please lah... a local charity employee with a fancy name card drama until like ur the president of US or China...

Quote:
...but trust me, its lonely at the top and when I look back at those times when I was a young officer, I really miss the camaraderie among staff level.

Old 25-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Oh NKF... Sorry I was under the impression you were a Executive Director in the public sector like a ministry or stat board, hence my reply was geared towards that. NKF's job titles are a completely different thing altogether.

I know it sounds discouraging, but the truth is I doubt recruiters in the market including the public sector would consider that as 8 years of senior level management experience. In terms of both pay and job complexity, most would equate that as a middle or mid-low level management in public sector/GLC and maybe even non-management senior associate level in bigger MNCs.

Anyway since you want to take on admin roles, there's really no need to restrict yourself to a school AM. There's plenty of opportunities in ministries and stat boards which are admin/planning in nature at around the AD/SM level which are IMO more suitable for you.

Those jobs will also be more challenging/empowered and allow you to make use of your skills and in the process learn from colleagues who are at or higher than your level. Even if you get this job, you go in there do basic office work done by counterparts in their 20s and early 30s and get forever pay freezed due to cap without progression really not a good fit.
I mostly agree. But no need to be so negative as the TS just wants some encouragement to find a good stable job for his final career stretch. Have some empathy instead of attacking on all these unimportant details. Same thing might happen to you when you are 50.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:27 AM
Unregistered

Default 2900 hollacombe

Quote:
This is MOE we are talking about here. Not sure what kind of prospects you are looking at especially admin manager of schools.

Please wake up. This is 2014, coming to 2015.

Thank you

Its 2018.

Admin Managers are under Executive and Administrative scheme.

If you are in school, next level up is VP Admin, and if you are posted to HQ, look at the various staff postings available....

How big a role you want to play, you decide.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/careers/execut...e-headquarters
Old 08-01-2018, 04:41 PM
Unregistered

Smile Awaiting news...

Quote:
You see...aside from the first 10 years with a different ministry....my last 8 years was in senior management roles within the non profit sector (was an Assistant Director, General Manager and Executive Director). HR did clarify that they could meet my last drawn...so in terms of salary, it must be at the ceiling cap if appointed. Not really entry level in terms of pay.

Job scope wise, I believe I can excel given my past experiences in senior management roles...I am known to be on the ball so slacking isn't in my vocabulary. I hope to improve on internal work processes and help the Principal run the school more efficiently, in terms of administration and operations, making life easier for the Principal and the teachers...so that the latter can focus more on their students....definitely not entry level mentality and a different perspective from yours, altogether.

HI KPO. Not sure if you have got any reply from MOE so far? Hope you will have good news in the new year!
Old 08-01-2018, 05:07 PM
Verified Member

KPO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HI KPO. Not sure if you have got any reply from MOE so far? Hope you will have good news in the new year!
Thank you for your well wishes...

In between then, HR called to check on salary from a past employment and was told to wait for another couple more weeks....which is this week, presumably so, since the Xmas/NY break is officially over.

But as per one SB HR has posted here...

https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/...l#.WlM0bSOp2Rs

perhaps I wasn't the first choice candidate either....nonetheless, keeping my fingers crossed...

Old 13-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thank you for your well wishes...

In between then, HR called to check on salary from a past employment and was told to wait for another couple more weeks....which is this week, presumably so, since the Xmas/NY break is officially over.

But as per one SB HR has posted here...

[://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2023-civil-svc-statboard-typical-timeline-making-hiring-decision-82.html#.WlM0bSOp2Rs[/

perhaps I wasn't the first choice candidate either....nonetheless, keeping my fingers crossed...

KPO,

I read your postings and I believe you will be a good Manager for the school. I like what you said about making life easier for the teachers. Trust me, we need people like you to help lessen our admin load.

I think you may not be MOE's first choice. That's why it is taking longer.
Or maybe you are just parked in the pool waiting for upcoming vacancies. I know of admin managers waiting to leave after receiving their year end bonuses and there are people retiring too.

With your credentials, you should try to apply for VP Admin. I understand they are recruiting now. All the best!

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 13-01-2018, 05:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Its 2018.

Admin Managers are under Executive and Administrative scheme.

If you are in school, next level up is VP Admin, and if you are posted to HQ, look at the various staff postings available....

How big a role you want to play, you decide.

[.moe.gov.sg/careers/executive-administrative/moe-headquarters[/
Most support jobs that require tertiary education is considered under Executive and Administrative scheme. This is nothing new or unique to MOE.

Admin Manager usually reports to VP Admin, but the next level up is NOT VP. No VP in MOE school gets promoted from a Admin Manager.

Please don't anyhow spread falsehoods just based on googling without understanding the situation.
Old 13-01-2018, 05:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Most support jobs that require tertiary education is considered under Executive and Administrative scheme. This is nothing new or unique to MOE.

Admin Manager usually reports to VP Admin, but the next level up is NOT VP. No VP in MOE school gets promoted from a Admin Manager.

Please don't anyhow spread falsehoods just based on googling without understanding the situation.
AM to VP is rare, but still possible. I know of a few who made it, but they are mostly very long serving staff like 20+ years of service in a particular school and some good principals will help them secure a VP slot in their school to reward loyalty.

For KPO considering his/her age, realistically speaking it is best to join with the expectation to stay on as AM until retirement. As for the AM job itself, my take is one man's meat is another's poison. It all depends on what are your career goals - if you want a stable and balanced job with some opportunities for self-development as you go along and nice environment it's quite ok. But if you are the kind got grand vision, want to change the future and move up then this is not for you.
Old 15-01-2018, 11:58 AM
Verified Member

KPO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
AM to VP is rare, but still possible. I know of a few who made it, but they are mostly very long serving staff like 20+ years of service in a particular school and some good principals will help them secure a VP slot in their school to reward loyalty.

For KPO considering his/her age, realistically speaking it is best to join with the expectation to stay on as AM until retirement. As for the AM job itself, my take is one man's meat is another's poison. It all depends on what are your career goals - if you want a stable and balanced job with some opportunities for self-development as you go along and nice environment it's quite ok. But if you are the kind got grand vision, want to change the future and move up then this is not for you.

Thank you for sharing.

A stable and balanced job is all I am asking. A nice environment and opportunities for self-development would be added bonuses.

Spoke to HR last Friday. She said she will call me back