Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

poorman 31-08-2011 05:14 PM

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Hey guys just thought of starting a thread for all fresh degree grads from UOL.

Local Uni grads, feel free to input your starting pay for the envy of others lol.

For me, i'm getting a miserable $2,300. :(

Unregistered 31-08-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorman (Post 15839)
Hey guys just thought of starting a thread for all fresh degree grads from UOL.

Local Uni grads, feel free to input your starting pay for the envy of others lol.

For me, i'm getting a miserable $2,300. :(

Maybe.. It's becos you din graduate with a good class of honors... Either that or your course is a common course that has graduates coming from the better local universities... You should be grateful already man... I've heard some graduates getting only 2k starting salary only...

Unregistered 31-08-2011 09:58 PM

$2300 is alright for a fresh grad pay if you are in the private sector.
I've heard of local uni grads getting lower than that.
Please don't be fooled by those lame, highly inaccurate, fresh grad surveys that the local unis publish.

Unregistered 31-08-2011 11:53 PM

You are doing just fine man...

Local accountany graduate joining big 4 will earn slightly more than that.

Just focus on knowing ur trade and increasing your value, now you probably just a few hundred dollars difference, but if you aren't doing enough, in next few years it could be few thousands difference...

poorman 01-09-2011 08:58 AM

Thanks for the encouraging replies guys.

only managed to get a 2nd class lower for honours. fell short of 2 marks for 2nd upper. then again i doubt that makes a difference to most employers!

btw, my course was Banking & Finance and almost 9/10 calls i get are for sales positions...anyone from B&F managed to get a job in a bank that's not sales related?

Unregistered 02-09-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorman (Post 15852)
Thanks for the encouraging replies guys.

only managed to get a 2nd class lower for honours. fell short of 2 marks for 2nd upper. then again i doubt that makes a difference to most employers!

btw, my course was Banking & Finance and almost 9/10 calls i get are for sales positions...anyone from B&F managed to get a job in a bank that's not sales related?

do you want to try Govt sector? They pay quite well. Can try stat boards rather than ministry positions.

Unregistered 03-09-2011 09:22 AM

Hello TS,

I feel you are doing quite well with 2.3k starting pay. I've seen some of my NUS friends getting 2k starting.

I am a fresh SMU grad working in one of the government ministries. There are a few SIM grads working in my department. I am getting ard 3.4k and i m pretty sure we all get around the same amount.

Point to note though, Stat boards are considered the public service and tends to pay better.

Unregistered 03-09-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 15897)

Point to note though, Stat boards are considered the public service and tends to pay better.

Are you saying public sector jobs pay better than private sector generally? I thought the opposite is true, as I remember someone important once said the former should not be leading the latter in terms of pay, right?

Unregistered 04-09-2011 12:47 AM

i dont think the pay for those with pte degree working in public sector would be the same as those from local uni? cos for one interview that i went, they told me that my pte degree cert would be considered a diploma cert instead? :(

i heard quite a few local uni friends getting near to/more than 3k. kinda depressing when u hear that.. but they r working in the public sector. im wondering how's the pay like for private sector for pte/local degree also..

myself i'm getting about 2.4k

Unregistered 04-09-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 15907)
Are you saying public sector jobs pay better than private sector generally? I thought the opposite is true, as I remember someone important once said the former should not be leading the latter in terms of pay, right?

Sorry for the misunderstanding! What i meant was that the public service (Stat boards) pay better than the civil service (ministries)! of cos our pay cannot be compared to the pte sector!