SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay - Page 51 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 06-07-2013, 06:25 AM
Unregistered

I didn't say I am not committed to teaching. I do enjoy the experience of interacting with adult learners and at the same time, the UniSIM model requires industry practitioners to deliver the lessons. It is a win-win situation for me. Moreover, not many part time jobs can offer $1500 a month for 3 hour a week, excluding preparation time for course materials. At the end of the day, I work for it and I earn my keep. The forumers over here can say all they want. It is not going to change anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by local uni grad doing HR View Post
pls dun harm the future generation, they need someone better. if you are in for the money, why not do something else?

Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Unregistered

SIM graduates find jobs easily, but earn less
Peers from public varsities are paid several hundred dollars more: Survey
By Sandra Davie, Senior Writer

Graduates from Singapore's biggest and best-known private school land jobs easily, with most receiving two or more offers.

But the first employment survey carried out by the Singapore Institute of Management (SIM) shows that they are typically paid several hundred dollars a month less than their peers from the publicly funded universities.

Seven hundred graduates were polled by the global education arm of the institute, which runs degree courses in partnership with overseas schools.

SIM's other arm is UniSIM, which runs part-time degree courses for working adults. Its graduates were not covered by this survey.

More than nine in 10 found a job within six months of completing their course last year, with most receiving at least two offers and a third getting three or more.

Ten per cent ended up being employed by the Government, mostly at statutory boards such as the Central Provident Fund Board and the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore.

The graduates' typical monthly starting salary in both the private and public sectors ranged from $2,400 to $2,600 - significantly lower than that earned by those from the public universities.

By contrast, the average monthly salary among Singapore Management University graduates last year was $3,388, while Nanyang Technological University graduates got $3,152 and those at the National University of Singapore earned $3,112.

Mr Lee Kwok Cheong, who heads the institute's global education arm, said the discrepancy could be due to the fact that it is not a government institution.

'This is peculiar to Singapore, where when it comes to higher education, only the government-run institutions are seen to be of high quality,' he said.

He added that although the institute has a good record, several private schools have been exposed over the years for running substandard programmes.

'Unfortunately, we are tarred with the same brush.'

Mr Lee said another reason could be that employers were unfamiliar with its model of education, which involves partnerships with foreign universities.

'We need to reach out more to explain how we ensure that the overseas university programmes we run here are as rigorous as the ones run in the home country.'

He pointed out that one indication of quality was the performance of its students taking up University of London degree courses. Last year, 117 of them got first-class honours and another 414 graduated with second upper honours.

The Straits Times asked four companies which employ graduates from the institute why they paid them less. Only one agreed to comment, on condition of anonymity.

Its human resources manager said private firms took their cue from the public sector. 'It's known that some government ministries and stat boards, if they do hire them, put them on a different scale,' he said. 'So, companies would use that as an excuse to pay Singapore Institute of Management grads less.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am from SIM and most of my batch are doing very well as high fliers in various industries. In terms of pay and career progression is definitely same if not slightly higher than the 3 local uni.

SIM student are more flexible and can play the office game much better and this is much more important that what degree you get.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:29 AM
Unregistered

LOL you didnt show the full article:

Several firms, including HSBC Singapore and SMRT, said they place them on the same scale as other graduates. And once in, employees rise through the ranks depending on how well they perform. Some said they have noticed special qualities in those who graduate from the institute.

Mr Phan Yoke Fei, vice-president of human resource at SMRT, said: "They tend to be job-ready. They are also hard workers willing to take on additional responsibilities, have a good work attitude and tend to stay on with the company. I guess it comes from being the underdogs, having to fight harder to have an edge over their peers."

The Public Service Division would say only that it has a "good number of civil servants" who got their degrees through the private schools.

The Education Ministry said its teachers have qualifications from many universities but did not say whether private school graduates are placed on a lower salary scale.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:02 AM
Unregistered

seems like you take it quite seriously.....muahahhaaa

Quote:

Several firms, including HSBC Singapore and SMRT, said they place them on the same scale as other graduates. And once in, employees rise through the ranks depending on how well they perform. Some said they have noticed special qualities in those who graduate from the institute.

Mr Phan Yoke Fei, vice-president of human resource at SMRT, said: "They tend to be job-ready. They are also hard workers willing to take on additional responsibilities, have a good work attitude and tend to stay on with the company. I guess it comes from being the underdogs, having to fight harder to have an edge over their peers."

The Public Service Division would say only that it has a "good number of civil servants" who got their degrees through the private schools.

The Education Ministry said its teachers have qualifications from many universities but did not say whether private school graduates are placed on a lower salary scale.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 AM
Unregistered

this is SIM's special quality

SIM student filmed making racist jokes - inSing.com

Quote:

Old 31-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Verified Member

gingerbreadb0y is on a distinguished road
Default BAFFT Grads

Back to topic!!

Anyone here knows how much is the starting pay of Accounting and Finance Grad? MAybe we can have a break down of the various industries below:

-Govt/Stat Boards
-Accounting (PTE)
-Finance (PTE)
-Banking
-Non Accounting related
-Sales

Any seniors out there knows about anything or keen to share here ?
NTU/NUS/SMU peeps are welcome to share their starting pay too

Old 01-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadb0y View Post
Back to topic!!

Anyone here knows how much is the starting pay of Accounting and Finance Grad? MAybe we can have a break down of the various industries below:

-Govt/Stat Boards
-Accounting (PTE)
-Finance (PTE)
-Banking
-Non Accounting related
-Sales

Any seniors out there knows about anything or keen to share here ?
NTU/NUS/SMU peeps are welcome to share their starting pay too
How much do you think would seem acceptable? Well according to my experience, is about 2k plus minus. Unless doing sales like insurance and land banking, which would be higher if you able to get sales that is.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Verified Member

gingerbreadb0y is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How much do you think would seem acceptable? Well according to my experience, is about 2k plus minus. Unless doing sales like insurance and land banking, which would be higher if you able to get sales that is.
I have friends earning 3k plus minus ... And if you haven't mentioned, I would assume 3k as the benchmark. Well in this case 2+k just shows my friends are earning above average! Happy for them though .... But kinda disheartened to my future path eh!

Starting pay actually doesnt really matters much to me but i'm more concern with the progression instead.. Whether it's steep or gentle .. Averages is what I need ... Since I am considering a path other than Finance/Accounting field but instead education (lecturer) instead...

Any comments ?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadb0y View Post
I have friends earning 3k plus minus ... And if you haven't mentioned, I would assume 3k as the benchmark. Well in this case 2+k just shows my friends are earning above average! Happy for them though .... But kinda disheartened to my future path eh!

Starting pay actually doesnt really matters much to me but i'm more concern with the progression instead.. Whether it's steep or gentle .. Averages is what I need ... Since I am considering a path other than Finance/Accounting field but instead education (lecturer) instead...

Any comments ?
Well, in my experience, local poly/uni will not hire a private degree grad as a lecturer. Unless you can secure a masters/phd in local uni, then there is a good chance for you to get into poly/uni as a lecturer. But with just a pte degree even with ACCA/SQP all that, you will not get in. Maybe you may be able to break into pte schools but even they will require something more than just a degree. Uni lecturer will require a reputable Phd, nothing less. Reputable being local or overseas Ivies.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Unregistered

uol grad, expecting 2.1 in banking. 3k ops analyst(perm). not high but, i guess its good enough for me.