is 3rd class honors useful? - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

is 3rd class honors useful?

Old 16-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Unregistered

I have a 2nd Upper and I work in a stat board. My wife has a 2nd lower and she works in the finance sector. She earns double my salary. What does that say about papers?

Old 16-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have a 2nd Upper and I work in a stat board. My wife has a 2nd lower and she works in the finance sector. She earns double my salary. What does that say about papers?
So why are you still in the stat board?

Old 16-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
So why are you still in the stat board?
Think this speaks more to the high pay in the finance sector than to anything else. The pay in stat boards are generally quite market.

Asking him why he's still in the stat board is basically the same as making him why he's not in the finance sector (given he's presumably at market rate) which is a question that has been asked ad nasuem in these forums.

Old 16-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Foreign Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGYGYG View Post
Wondering if it is useful to have a 3rd class honors? Prospect wise is it better than a bachelor without honors?
It is as good as having bachelor without honors.

I am 3rd class honours. Save your time.
Old 16-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Think this speaks more to the high pay in the finance sector than to anything else. The pay in stat boards are generally quite market.

Asking him why he's still in the stat board is basically the same as making him why he's not in the finance sector (given he's presumably at market rate) which is a question that has been asked ad nasuem in these forums.
maybe stat board = more work life balance, can go home on the dot, seldom OT.

finance sector = everyday work 12hrs or more = no life.....
Old 02-09-2011, 05:47 PM
jhfc

Quote:
As suggested, try hiding your 3rd class using BXXX(Hons).

As a hiring manager, 3rd class really is not favoured. Even less than a degree without honours.

Reason? Normally, only 10% of degrees awarded will be of 3rd class.

Without honours normally means that the course is not direct honours. I have not encounter any non honours degree from a degree with honours classification. For degrees with optional honours, a person would not take up honours unless he/she is confident of at least a 2nd upper.

So, a 3rd class is like telling the employer you are academically the bottom 10%.
not true leh.. for NTU direct honours cse, it's 1st class, 2nd upper, 2nd lower, 3rd, merit (depending on individual cse), pass, and dun be surprised many unable to graduate due to GPA not hitting minimum...

in fact 3rd class is only offered to engineering and certain other courses.. i dun think business or arts have 3rd class honours.. for NTU...

but i agree that stating 3rd class in a job application wun get any replies, personal experience.. esp govt sector, once they hear 3rd class they said thanks bye...

Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
please dun compare public service/civil service to private financial sector.

even someone with just a pass degree in the financial sector got a higher chance to earn more than a 1st class in public service/civil service.

what if your wife with 2nd lower is working in the engineering sector, I doubt your wife can earn as much as you.
Old 22-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation 2nd upper hons grads are sour

I rather employ a 3rd class/2nd lower than a grad who hides his horrendous CAP by quitting in the 3rd yr with a pass of merit.. At least he tried and gain experience with FYP rather than just modules. Who cares about exceptionally good results, its the effort that counts.

I have alot of 2nd upper people who are so arrogant with their just their "Above average" grades, trying to dissaude applicants with less than 2nd upper. but the truth is alot of 2nd lower/3rd class still get better jobs than them n even much higher pay after a few yrs.

truth to be told, 2nd upper is HARD to get, and many risked having a balanced school life in uni for 4yrs even to the extent of sacrificing values such as Darrine Ko. It's all competition. But guess what, they forget all their stuffs mths after the exams. Thus Of course they feel sour that their sacrifices are futile, and their counterparts with 2nd lower/3rd/pass(with lower gpa) get better jobs and earn more than them. So stop believing in their psycho that "2nd upper is everything and the only thing and everything else can throw away". It's all jealousy
Old 22-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down

Quote:
I rather employ a 3rd class/2nd lower than a grad who hides his horrendous CAP by quitting in the 3rd yr with a pass of merit.. At least he tried and gain experience with FYP rather than just modules. Who cares about exceptionally good results, its the effort that counts.

I have alot of 2nd upper people who are so arrogant with their just their "Above average" grades, trying to dissaude applicants with less than 2nd upper. but the truth is alot of 2nd lower/3rd class still get better jobs than them n even much higher pay after a few yrs.

truth to be told, 2nd upper is HARD to get, and many risked having a balanced school life in uni for 4yrs even to the extent of sacrificing values such as Darrine Ko. It's all competition. But guess what, they forget all their stuffs mths after the exams. Thus Of course they feel sour that their sacrifices are futile, and their counterparts with 2nd lower/3rd/pass(with lower gpa) get better jobs and earn more than them. So stop believing in their psycho that "2nd upper is everything and the only thing and everything else can throw away". It's all jealousy
I agree. Some 2nd upper people are so cocky (not even first class!), and think their 2nd upper degree is EVERYTHING and overrides all their past bad grades.
Old 22-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Lena

Default Choose your major carefully if you want a 2nd upper.

Quote:
I agree. Some 2nd upper people are so cocky (not even first class!), and think their 2nd upper degree is EVERYTHING and overrides all their past bad grades.
I also dun understand why the arrogance, with many forumers saying "no 2nd upper don't bother apply for job". Actually have alot of friends with 2nd lower doing fine in more respectable companies. Also think its probably the "ahh i studied so hard to get a 2nd upper thus i deserve more" attitude.
And you have to see what course is this "2nd upper" from. NUS chem eng, law, pharmacy, and business's 2nd lower is of course not easy to get either, even their 3rd class needs work. This is different from some other bigger faculties where by the quality of students is also not that high. Thus if u might want to choose your course carefully, if u want to go work as police or in govt sector which states 2nd upper in any major.