Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Working in a bank (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1230-working-bank.html)

ericgohjunhui 14-02-2011 12:24 AM

Working in a bank

I'm currently a part time student in UOL, doing BSC Banking and Finance and its my second year. Currently I'm working in the government organization and I'm 25 this year. I do not have much working experience after being enlisted at the age of 21. I hope to work in a investment bank in future (work related to the financial markets, hopefully at the front office) because i have strong interests in this sector as i have been trading and reading up on the financial news daily. I need advise if i should leave the organization now to gain some working experience related to investment. If i don't leave, i will be graduating at the age of 26 with no working experience.
If i were to leave now before completing my degree, what type of job can let me gain the relevant experience?
If i were to leave upon graduating, what can i start off with?
Really in a mess now. Thanks alot

Unregistered 14-02-2011 08:30 AM

gosh. seems everyone has "strong interest" in whatever that has these keywords: trading, front office, investment bank, goldman, morgan, big bonus, ...

ericgohjunhui 14-02-2011 09:22 AM

this is not the case. cos i do have interest in the fast past n challenging working environment thats why i took up banking and finance. would appreciate if there is ppl out there willing to give some advice on how can i achieve it. its good to hear so real life experience from the seniors. thanks

laguna 14-02-2011 09:47 AM

I see too many 20+ looking to work in a bank, particularly investment banks or in finance
So I asked one new grad, do u know what is an investment bank or finance, answer : blank.
Just join? big bonus, big pay, perks
what are these banks looking for? blank

I truly look down on all these sort of people, no substance

I am not sure about u..
just commenting on those that I have met

Unregistered 14-02-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laguna (Post 9552)
I see too many 20+ looking to work in a bank, particularly investment banks or in finance
So I asked one new grad, do u know what is an investment bank or finance, answer : blank.
Just join? big bonus, big pay, perks
what are these banks looking for? blank

I truly look down on all these sort of people, no substance

I am not sure about u..
just commenting on those that I have met

well, you are biased too.

there's nothing wrong with going after money. this is a capitalist world after all. we all work for a living (most of us are). how "passionate" can you be if you need to work for a living?

the challenge for young people today is how to present their "passion" in a socially acceptable way when it's just all about the money. just reading a few books and trying mock trading accounts isn't going to cut it.

ericgohjunhui 14-02-2011 10:25 AM

its true that everyone is working for the money but that's definately not my case. i have always wanted a competitive career in the finance sector and i came about reading IB. thats why im just seeking advice through here.

Unregistered 14-02-2011 11:11 AM

You can either:

- Try getting an internship at banks or similar institutions
- Quit your current job and get into any position in trading or sales (might be low position with low pay but then it helps you once u graduated with your degree)

ericgohjunhui 14-02-2011 11:39 AM

i dont think there are any intern available for part time student. i guess the only thing i can do now is getting in trading job. but mainly require experience right, thats what im worried about

Unregistered 14-02-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericgohjunhui (Post 9560)
i dont think there are any intern available for part time student. i guess the only thing i can do now is getting in trading job. but mainly require experience right, thats what im worried about

typically the big banks poach their recruits (MBA, grads) from prestiges uni. Others will just pass over.

Those from non-prestige uni, if they get in, will probably do some operational jobs, strong-interest or not.

ericgohjunhui 16-02-2011 10:51 AM

what is meant by operation job?