Questions about Big 4? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Questions about Big 4?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2018, 09:31 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 16
iwanthp is on a distinguished road
Default Questions about Big 4?

Hi there! I was looking through the websites of the Big 4s (PWC, Deloitte, EY, KPMG) and i saw that other than the usual audit, tax department, they also have like admin, HR, accounting departments etc. I only have a diploma in accountancy so i cant get in audit and tax for now and i saw that the other departments some actually only require a diploma! So i was just wondering if anyone has any experience or know about these other departments?

Was looking at either the accounting department or HR department as currently im in a small audit firm and i dont think i can last in this department. Would like to know these things if anyone has knowledge about it:

1. if the pay would be the same as audit, tax, etc. I know the pay would be lower since im only a diploma holder

2. Would the workload be the same as audit, tax in the Big 4 or will it be much more relaxing in a way that not much OTs and stuff? Coz im taking ACCA part time and would like to know if therell be like a peak period or something

Would appreciate any inputs on this thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanthp View Post
Hi there! I was looking through the websites of the Big 4s (PWC, Deloitte, EY, KPMG) and i saw that other than the usual audit, tax department, they also have like admin, HR, accounting departments etc. I only have a diploma in accountancy so i cant get in audit and tax for now and i saw that the other departments some actually only require a diploma! So i was just wondering if anyone has any experience or know about these other departments?

Was looking at either the accounting department or HR department as currently im in a small audit firm and i dont think i can last in this department. Would like to know these things if anyone has knowledge about it:

1. if the pay would be the same as audit, tax, etc. I know the pay would be lower since im only a diploma holder

2. Would the workload be the same as audit, tax in the Big 4 or will it be much more relaxing in a way that not much OTs and stuff? Coz im taking ACCA part time and would like to know if therell be like a peak period or something

Would appreciate any inputs on this thanks in advance!
I think diploma HR officers are mostly paid around 1.8-2.2k depending on experience. I doubt it's any different in Big4 compared to any other company out there. Such support roles are mainly administrative in nature, so very flexible to move from 1 industry to another.

OT has more to do with the actual situation and boss, so cannot generalize "Big 4".

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2018, 03:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

For diploma grads joining @ HR Officer level, I don't think there's any big difference between any company regardless of industry. This sort of generic admin support role should be ~1.8-2.2k depending on experience regardless of company.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2018, 10:46 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanthp View Post
Hi there! I was looking through the websites of the Big 4s (PWC, Deloitte, EY, KPMG) and i saw that other than the usual audit, tax department, they also have like admin, HR, accounting departments etc. I only have a diploma in accountancy so i cant get in audit and tax for now and i saw that the other departments some actually only require a diploma! So i was just wondering if anyone has any experience or know about these other departments?

Was looking at either the accounting department or HR department as currently im in a small audit firm and i dont think i can last in this department. Would like to know these things if anyone has knowledge about it:

1. if the pay would be the same as audit, tax, etc. I know the pay would be lower since im only a diploma holder

2. Would the workload be the same as audit, tax in the Big 4 or will it be much more relaxing in a way that not much OTs and stuff? Coz im taking ACCA part time and would like to know if therell be like a peak period or something

Would appreciate any inputs on this thanks in advance!
If you intend to do general admin or hr, just broaden the job search to all the industries. It makes no sense to restrict yourself to big4 simply because you happen to work in a small audit firm currently.

Besides the big4 reputation outside audit is mediocre anyway, theres no added value at all in doing admin in a big4 compared to any other company.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2018, 11:52 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 16
iwanthp is on a distinguished road
Default

Ah i see thanks for the inputs guys! What about pay wise like e.g. i see PWC now has an application opening for diploma holders and other than the Audit/Tax, etc. they also have the Corporate Support Services (Accounting & Bookkeeping).

Anyone know if the pay will be as good as the audit department or if the working hours will be better? :/ im also looking for other outside accounting jobs but interested in PWC too so wanted to enquire if anyone knows about the benefits or pay etc.

And also i heard from some friends who said that they heard that in Big 4, no matter which department youre in, the increment is the same, meaning 700-1000 a year! Was wondering if anyone can confirm that?

Last edited by iwanthp; 12-03-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 13-03-2018, 03:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanthp View Post
Ah i see thanks for the inputs guys! What about pay wise like e.g. i see PWC now has an application opening for diploma holders and other than the Audit/Tax, etc. they also have the Corporate Support Services (Accounting & Bookkeeping).

Anyone know if the pay will be as good as the audit department or if the working hours will be better? :/ im also looking for other outside accounting jobs but interested in PWC too so wanted to enquire if anyone knows about the benefits or pay etc.

And also i heard from some friends who said that they heard that in Big 4, no matter which department youre in, the increment is the same, meaning 700-1000 a year! Was wondering if anyone can confirm that?
I don't even know where to start. You don't seem to know what you're talking about at all even though you're keen to join these companies.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13-03-2018, 03:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanthp View Post
Ah i see thanks for the inputs guys! What about pay wise like e.g. i see PWC now has an application opening for diploma holders and other than the Audit/Tax, etc. they also have the Corporate Support Services (Accounting & Bookkeeping).

Anyone know if the pay will be as good as the audit department or if the working hours will be better? :/ im also looking for other outside accounting jobs but interested in PWC too so wanted to enquire if anyone knows about the benefits or pay etc.

And also i heard from some friends who said that they heard that in Big 4, no matter which department youre in, the increment is the same, meaning 700-1000 a year! Was wondering if anyone can confirm that?
Be realistic about where you stand. A diploma with little exp in a local SME I'm not even sure if Big4 will entertain you for their support department at officer level. Stop dreaming as if you are going to be in the same league as a typical audit associate in terms of pay and increment.

Big4 maybe can offer a bit higher e.g. 2k monthly salary because they have no aws and the variable bonus is horrible. No matter what all-in it's gonna be 25k+ annual. As for getting 1k increment a year, if you believe something that dumb then you are going to be in serious trouble no matter where you work.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 13-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Use ur common sense plz. Diploma join Big4 support can get 700-1000 pa. increase means after 4 years already up to 6k salary.

Like that who the fark will spend 4 more years to study in local u or even ivy league when diploma doing backoffice also end up similar to investment banking starting pay at the same age.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 13-03-2018, 10:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanthp View Post
Hi there! I was looking through the websites of the Big 4s (PWC, Deloitte, EY, KPMG) and i saw that other than the usual audit, tax department, they also have like admin, HR, accounting departments etc. I only have a diploma in accountancy so i cant get in audit and tax for now and i saw that the other departments some actually only require a diploma! So i was just wondering if anyone has any experience or know about these other departments?

Was looking at either the accounting department or HR department as currently im in a small audit firm and i dont think i can last in this department. Would like to know these things if anyone has knowledge about it:

1. if the pay would be the same as audit, tax, etc. I know the pay would be lower since im only a diploma holder

2. Would the workload be the same as audit, tax in the Big 4 or will it be much more relaxing in a way that not much OTs and stuff? Coz im taking ACCA part time and would like to know if therell be like a peak period or something

Would appreciate any inputs on this thanks in advance!
Chill everyone, TS asked nicely, there's no need to air your grievances here.

Generally with a diploma, you have greater chance of getting into audit or support functions (HR, admin etc) than tax/advisory. However without further studies, your (pay) progression will be around half the speed of those with degree (e.g. if they take 4-5 years to hit 5k, you would probably take 8-10 years) within the Big 4.

If you were to join audit, you will start as an audit assistant. The pay should be similar across all functions (~2k like the others mentioned).

Be expected to go through the slough of long hours during the peak season. It is very common to have peers studying ACCA like yourself. Once completed you'd be adjusted to pay similar to those with degrees.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 13-03-2018, 11:43 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 16
iwanthp is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Be realistic about where you stand. A diploma with little exp in a local SME I'm not even sure if Big4 will entertain you for their support department at officer level. Stop dreaming as if you are going to be in the same league as a typical audit associate in terms of pay and increment.

Big4 maybe can offer a bit higher e.g. 2k monthly salary because they have no aws and the variable bonus is horrible. No matter what all-in it's gonna be 25k+ annual. As for getting 1k increment a year, if you believe something that dumb then you are going to be in serious trouble no matter where you work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Use ur common sense plz. Diploma join Big4 support can get 700-1000 pa. increase means after 4 years already up to 6k salary.

Like that who the fark will spend 4 more years to study in local u or even ivy league when diploma doing backoffice also end up similar to investment banking starting pay at the same age.
ah i see alright guys thanks for the input just wasnt sure so thought id just ask ill take your words into consideration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Chill everyone, TS asked nicely, there's no need to air your grievances here.

Generally with a diploma, you have greater chance of getting into audit or support functions (HR, admin etc) than tax/advisory. However without further studies, your (pay) progression will be around half the speed of those with degree (e.g. if they take 4-5 years to hit 5k, you would probably take 8-10 years) within the Big 4.

If you were to join audit, you will start as an audit assistant. The pay should be similar across all functions (~2k like the others mentioned).

Be expected to go through the slough of long hours during the peak season. It is very common to have peers studying ACCA like yourself. Once completed you'd be adjusted to pay similar to those with degrees.
I see i see! Yea i'm a little tired of audit that's why when i saw that they also offered bookkeeping and accounting etc i was more interest in that hahah! and i know that Big 4 audit during peak is like can go home past midnight almost everyday (from what i heard from my friends etc) so was just wondering if the support departments will be this busy too or like they have a more relaxed schedule. Thank you for your input really appreciate it


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions establishedd Education and Personal Growth 3 28-10-2014 06:36 PM
Interview - asking questions jljh Income and Jobs 3 03-07-2014 09:24 AM
DSO questions jalan369 Income and Jobs 4 30-08-2013 10:45 PM
Questions about F&B Industry JeffLKS Income and Jobs 0 25-09-2011 08:01 PM
Agency Questions syler Income and Jobs 1 02-12-2010 03:51 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,043 Replies, 745,333 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,876 Replies, 1,111,920 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,881 Replies, 914,032 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2018
5 Replies, 1,454 Views
Credit Suisse - Compliance... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
93 Replies, 39,604 Views
Working in a bank ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
511 Replies, 251,778 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,298 Replies, 253,041 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,595 Replies, 600,287 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,000 Replies, 3,709,174 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
970 Replies, 409,464 Views
Shell TDP ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
83 Replies, 15,192 Views
How long does SIA get back after... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 5,267 Views
Shell Graduate program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
135 Replies, 77,802 Views
Top paying companies in SG for... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
48 Replies, 26,800 Views
Should I pursue a Masters in...
0 Replies, 228 Views
Secondary School Ranking 2017
2 Replies, 5,076 Views
What makes Investment-Linked...
5 Replies, 5,697 Views
teaching English as a career
1 Replies, 379 Views
List of Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
174 Replies, 81,860 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
159 Replies, 116,243 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
41 Replies, 21,634 Views
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
161 Replies, 108,889 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
928 Replies, 644,034 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,201 Replies, 323,741 Views
IRAS salary?
1 Replies, 525 Views
Really that bad for engineers? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,212 Replies, 740,256 Views
Cambridge Associates ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
37 Replies, 16,265 Views
Advice needed for a 30 yo male... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
41 Replies, 7,287 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 24,578 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2