Starting degree in unisim - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Starting degree in unisim

Old 25-01-2016, 01:25 PM

Whatehell is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Starting degree in unisim

Been bothered by all these thoughts in my mind for quite sometimes so I have decided to post here to seek some advise from you people.

Im 25 years old this year and just ORD a few months back(so Im jobless now), and about to start my part time degree in unisim soon. ( went a longer education path, N level> ITE>Poly

The following are my concerns:

1) Am I too old to start studying for degree? I will be around 27 or 28 years old by the time I graduated.

2) To be honest, I dont see myself getting a degree cause the thoughts of failure is haunting me even before I start studying.

3) Hoping to find a full time job while studying but afraid that my job will affects my studies and the submission of my assignment.Also worry that my future employer do not allow me to take leave during examination period. In addition, trying to find a full time job related to my degree(Facilities management) to starts off my career. Sent resumes to employers and none reply( most probably due to unrelated discipline in poly). Tried seeking recruitment agency for help but was told it will be difficult since I do not have relevant discipline and no experiences. Should I just find a admin job for now?

4) what are the career prospect for facilities management degree? Im quite worry that my degree is useless.

5) I find that my english standard is below average and it will be a contributing factors for my failure in unisim.

6) I panicked when I see the TMA and thinks that I wont be able to do it even before the school starts. Is it normal for students NOT know how to do their assignment before their school starts? ( Im already stressed up before school starts)

7) I tend to give up easily. How can I change this mindset?

Hope to get some valuable advise from the seniors or people who faced these problem before.

Old 25-01-2016, 11:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatehell View Post
Been bothered by all these thoughts in my mind for quite sometimes so I have decided to post here to seek some advise from you people.

Im 25 years old this year and just ORD a few months back(so Im jobless now), and about to start my part time degree in unisim soon. ( went a longer education path, N level> ITE>Poly

The following are my concerns:

1) Am I too old to start studying for degree? I will be around 27 or 28 years old by the time I graduated.

2) To be honest, I dont see myself getting a degree cause the thoughts of failure is haunting me even before I start studying.

3) Hoping to find a full time job while studying but afraid that my job will affects my studies and the submission of my assignment.Also worry that my future employer do not allow me to take leave during examination period. In addition, trying to find a full time job related to my degree(Facilities management) to starts off my career. Sent resumes to employers and none reply( most probably due to unrelated discipline in poly). Tried seeking recruitment agency for help but was told it will be difficult since I do not have relevant discipline and no experiences. Should I just find a admin job for now?

4) what are the career prospect for facilities management degree? Im quite worry that my degree is useless.

5) I find that my english standard is below average and it will be a contributing factors for my failure in unisim.

6) I panicked when I see the TMA and thinks that I wont be able to do it even before the school starts. Is it normal for students NOT know how to do their assignment before their school starts? ( Im already stressed up before school starts)

7) I tend to give up easily. How can I change this mindset?

Hope to get some valuable advise from the seniors or people who faced these problem before.
Gd evening,

1) 25 yrs young is not too old to start a degree. Many ppl are upgrading themselves from diploma to part-time degree in their mid to late thirties, while concurrently shouldering a full-time job and raising a family of their own. If you are single and have no major financial commitments, u have almost nothing to worry about.

2) Sure, i have my own fears too. What's funny is, my fear maybe insignificant to u and vice versa. Then again, still need to soldier on. Otherwise, it's tough to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Choose a course which u do not dread and have passion in. In trying times, passion beats prospects hands down. Do u like a non-desk bound job? Perhaps u can be an enforcement officer with SPF or ICA by taking a degree in Security Studies at UniSIM.

3) How about applying to civil service for a start, which is one of the most accomodative and supportive employers around. Don't mind the red tapes and beauracracy. It is there so that we (Sg Citizens) are where we are now. There are many facilities related roles in the Corporate Services dept of Ministries and stat boards if u are still keen to study facilities mgmt.

4) Qns 3 =) Actually, even if u don't like facilities management later,.u can request to do other operational work within the ministries or stat boards. Public sector work is mainly generalist in nature unlike private sector. So, fret not =)

5) Your writing is fine and your thoughts are conveyed across coherently. Can also consider writing courses that are available at the Civil Service College if u happen to land a role in the public sector.

6) It's normal. Hard work and perseverance will put u in gd stead weather the challenges through your course.

7) Gd qns. Actually, the ans maybe right at our doorsteps. Did your parents ever said they want to give up while raising u up? If not, perhaps it's gd to have a chat with them to understand where they draw their strength from. My guess is they have sth they love and want to protect. So, they gave it their all till this day. There must be a similar burning desire in a person to achieve sth, that makes him/her strive his/her best every waking moments.

Jia you and hope to hear gd news from u in the near future =)

Old 11-02-2016, 12:34 AM

tempuse is on a distinguished road

It's common for guys to graduate from uni in their late 20s due to NS.

Go for the discipline that:
  1. You know what it is about (Subject Knowledge - Read up more)
  2. Something you think you will like (Self-knowledge - Motivation, Curiosity)
  3. Ask professionals who are in that field (Mentor - Guidance)
  4. Relevant to industry (Needed in the future, not obsolete or sunset industry)
  5. Know the competitors (NUS, NTU, SMU, Others)
  6. Know the scope (General degree vs specialized degree)
  7. Know the work nature (Research or practice)
  8. Know the career progression ladder (end goal or prospects).
  9. Know the workplace or culture you will be working in when u graduated (i.e., office, schools, plants, factories, etc)

Unisim is a more applied university as compared to other unis. A specialized discipline degree is a better choice. Some discipline requires post-graduate degrees (masters or phd). For researched-based work, NUS and NTU people are aplenty. So you need to separate yourself from others to avoid saturation.

Last edited by tempuse; 11-02-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:14 AM
Unregistered

Maybe do a more general degree.

In life, there are opportunities, so grab it. Don't know how to do? Take it then learn. That's how we are made anyway. Don't think 28 is old, I am graduating as a 27 yo from local u