Degree in communications with marketing compare degree in marketing - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Degree in communications with marketing compare degree in marketing

Old 24-11-2014, 02:52 PM

Daisuker is on a distinguished road
Default Degree in communications with marketing compare degree in marketing

Hi, does anybody know what are the main differences between this 2 for UniSim? Both their career prospects seems almost the same except that the communcations one is able to work in media related marketing. Other than that, both is also able to work in a marketing industry is it?

Old 28-11-2014, 06:19 PM
Unregistered

yes i suppose so. all things equal, i would take the one with the longer sounding name.

Old 28-11-2014, 11:46 PM
Unregistered

speaking as a communications graduate, you don't actually need to study communications to know how to do it...it's kind of a natural talent thing when it comes to pr and advertising.

only study it if you're comfortable with being in the media industry...be really sure as once you graduate with a communications degree most companies will only look at you for corp comms/pr jobs. this means you have to be really comfortable with being a people person, putting on friendly fake smiles the whole day during events, doing lots of networking etc.

for advertising the culture is kind of the same, it's a very niche industry and the people are snarky.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 01-12-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
speaking as a communications graduate, you don't actually need to study communications to know how to do it...it's kind of a natural talent thing when it comes to pr and advertising.

only study it if you're comfortable with being in the media industry...be really sure as once you graduate with a communications degree most companies will only look at you for corp comms/pr jobs. this means you have to be really comfortable with being a people person, putting on friendly fake smiles the whole day during events, doing lots of networking etc.

for advertising the culture is kind of the same, it's a very niche industry and the people are snarky.
well actually both of the degree courses interest me though and in fact i was keen to learn marketing related things and also a change of career path from engineering. In fact both their career path seems a bit similar when i search at those job portals just that communcations is more towards media related marketing whereas marketing can be quite general but seems like it is more of a wider career path than communications wise...But yet on another hand, my relatives were telling me that marketing industry isn't doing too good as well and suggest to me that i take a course whereby i can do 'A' and 'B' rather than just 'A' itself if 'B' becomes bad.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuker View Post
well actually both of the degree courses interest me though and in fact i was keen to learn marketing related things and also a change of career path from engineering. In fact both their career path seems a bit similar when i search at those job portals just that communcations is more towards media related marketing whereas marketing can be quite general but seems like it is more of a wider career path than communications wise...But yet on another hand, my relatives were telling me that marketing industry isn't doing too good as well and suggest to me that i take a course whereby i can do 'A' and 'B' rather than just 'A' itself if 'B' becomes bad.
Not trying to be an asshole but you really need to improve how you write if you're going to go into anything comms related, be it marketing or media etc.

Also I doubt that 'pure' marketing jobs will exist for much longer in the future. Nowadays everything is integrated, especially with the rise of social media. You won't only be expected to do 'traditional' marketing but might also need to conduct social media campaigns, or manage Facebook pages etc. It's true for the entire communications industry. I applied for a publishing job but was told that in addition to publishing duties they want someone who can do PR and publicity for them as well.

Finally, are you male? Not saying males can't do well in the media industry but when it comes to client servicing and things like that, many times females do tend to fare better.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Not trying to be an asshole but you really need to improve how you write if you're going to go into anything comms related, be it marketing or media etc.

Also I doubt that 'pure' marketing jobs will exist for much longer in the future. Nowadays everything is integrated, especially with the rise of social media. You won't only be expected to do 'traditional' marketing but might also need to conduct social media campaigns, or manage Facebook pages etc. It's true for the entire communications industry. I applied for a publishing job but was told that in addition to publishing duties they want someone who can do PR and publicity for them as well.

Finally, are you male? Not saying males can't do well in the media industry but when it comes to client servicing and things like that, many times females do tend to fare better.
Noted about the writing part. will try to improve myself on that yup i'm male.

Old 18-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Unregistered

IMO there are too many uninformed people in SG (maybe the world too, I don't know) who think that having a degree in communications/media/pr is prestigious and that jobs in the media industry are the 'coolest'. It is not so.

Unless you have a very solid command of the English language and possess the X-Factor that competent media professionals do (I'm talking about dynamic individuals and not boring nerds), please consider your choice.
Old 14-04-2015, 02:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
IMO there are too many uninformed people in SG (maybe the world too, I don't know) who think that having a degree in communications/media/pr is prestigious and that jobs in the media industry are the 'coolest'. It is not so.

Unless you have a very solid command of the English language and possess the X-Factor that competent media professionals do (I'm talking about dynamic individuals and not boring nerds), please consider your choice.
agreed. i totally regret my decision to major in communications. it's not 'cool' working in journalism where you have no night no day, OT is almost guaranteed and seriously lesser and lesser people are giving the mainstream media any time of day nowadays so any sense of meaningfulness if really diminishing as the months go by. it's not 'cool' working in corp comms/pr where your job is to suck up to and show fake smiles to journalists and other important stakeholders and be at their beck and call, oh and be prepared to burn weekends when you have to attend events and launches etc.