Economics & Finance OR Accounting Degree?? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Economics & Finance OR Accounting Degree??

Old 12-10-2014, 10:54 AM

dragonmaiden is on a distinguished road
Default Economics & Finance OR Accounting Degree??

Hi guys, i am in a dilemma whether to pursue a bachelor degree in economics & finance or accounting. I am a diploma holder graduating from TP in biomedical engineering and my gpa is 3.23 (Not enough to enter Big 3 local unis). I applied for UNISIM accounting full time programme and successfully got a placing with them but i am now reconsidering my options as i have no plans to work in a coporate environment for the long term.

Another concern is $$$. I only have 1k savings, parents dont have the financial capabilities to support me UNISIM accounting will be 30k 4 years with government subsidies and grants. While economics and finance RMIT would be 26k 2.5 years. I also do want to live and work overseas if given the opportunities so which 1 would be more recognized?

I just want to learn the basic fundamentals of accounting and financial statement analysis enough to allow me to make better decisions when investing in stock market as well as being familiar with the numbers if i have plans to run my own business in the future. I am not planning to go in-depth and specialize in any areas of accounting or become a cpa.

Anyone from the accounting or finance industry can provide your insights and experience as i heard the role of accountants are boring dead-end jobs while working in the finance industry would be more interesting, fulfilling and dynamic.

Which degree would give a better future prospect and salary wise which would be more attractive?

THANKS!!

Old 17-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Unregistered

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmaiden View Post
Hi guys, i am in a dilemma whether to pursue a bachelor degree in economics & finance or accounting. I am a diploma holder graduating from TP in biomedical engineering and my gpa is 3.23 (Not enough to enter Big 3 local unis). I applied for UNISIM accounting full time programme and successfully got a placing with them but i am now reconsidering my options as i have no plans to work in a coporate environment for the long term.

Another concern is $$$. I only have 1k savings, parents dont have the financial capabilities to support me UNISIM accounting will be 30k 4 years with government subsidies and grants. While economics and finance RMIT would be 26k 2.5 years. I also do want to live and work overseas if given the opportunities so which 1 would be more recognized?

I just want to learn the basic fundamentals of accounting and financial statement analysis enough to allow me to make better decisions when investing in stock market as well as being familiar with the numbers if i have plans to run my own business in the future. I am not planning to go in-depth and specialize in any areas of accounting or become a cpa.

Anyone from the accounting or finance industry can provide your insights and experience as i heard the role of accountants are boring dead-end jobs while working in the finance industry would be more interesting, fulfilling and dynamic.

Which degree would give a better future prospect and salary wise which would be more attractive?

THANKS!!
I am not from the accounting or finance indsutry. I am a Business undergraduate whom has secured a placing in one of the big 3 8) ~I hope thats ok with you

If you ask me, I would disagree with you about the saying accountancy is boring than finance or vice verasa. It all boils down to self-interest and passion.

If you love accountancy, you will do well.

I love Business, and it was one of the reasons why I chose the Poly over the JC route and I never regret that choice. I love accountancy too, and in fact Accounting was the main subject I took in secondary school that sparked my interest in Business. I aim to pursue/sign up for a double degree in Business Management and Accountancy once I enter University

On a side note, you may wish to know that there is a shortage of accountants in singapore. It is true that most of the accountants may have to work OT/Mug overnight and it can be very rigorous. But, that job has got very high career advancement opportunities (What i hear from word of mouth).

Also, if you study Accounting, you can switch to the Finance industry at anytime without additional training required.

However, if you switch to Finance from Accounting, you will have to re-take some professional courses which can can last you from about 4-7months or more in order to switch industries/job position.

Accounting is the best route to a successful business career is because accounting has always been considered as the language and basic tool of business.
It has always concerned itself with determining how a business is doing and what is the bottom line.

The demand for accountants appears to be growing and outstripping supply. Job opportunities in today's business climate is better than ever for accountants.

I hope this helps !

Old 17-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am not from the accounting or finance indsutry. I am a Business undergraduate whom has secured a placing in one of the big 3 8) ~I hope thats ok with you

If you ask me, I would disagree with you about the saying accountancy is boring than finance or vice verasa. It all boils down to self-interest and passion.

If you love accountancy, you will do well.

I love Business, and it was one of the reasons why I chose the Poly over the JC route and I never regret that choice. I love accountancy too, and in fact Accounting was the main subject I took in secondary school that sparked my interest in Business. I aim to pursue/sign up for a double degree in Business Management and Accountancy once I enter University

On a side note, you may wish to know that there is a shortage of accountants in singapore. It is true that most of the accountants may have to work OT/Mug overnight and it can be very rigorous. But, that job has got very high career advancement opportunities (What i hear from word of mouth).

Also, if you study Accounting, you can switch to the Finance industry at anytime without additional training required.

However, if you switch to Finance from Accounting, you will have to re-take some professional courses which can can last you from about 4-7months or more in order to switch industries/job position.

Accounting is the best route to a successful business career is because accounting has always been considered as the language and basic tool of business.
It has always concerned itself with determining how a business is doing and what is the bottom line.

The demand for accountants appears to be growing and outstripping supply. Job opportunities in today's business climate is better than ever for accountants.

I hope this helps !
Typo:

Switch to Accounting from Finance**

Ignore the "is" in the second last paragraph**