NTU Business or EEE - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

NTU Business or EEE

Old 01-07-2013, 02:55 AM
Unregistered

I have also contemplating engineering versus business. I will be choosing business because I think it would be more useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Lool. You are the idiot. Accountancy? Anybody can go into that. Once the new measures kick in for CA sg, you dont even need a accountancy related degree to go into it. Any tom, dick and harry can. Business? Business doesn't teach you ANYTHING that you cant learn yourself. Its more of a soft-skill and anything you actually need to know can be learnt over a period of a few months reading buisness books. Please. Anyone can go into biz. Its not as 'elite' as you think it is. Getting a degree that actually TEACHES you something would be more useful and you can still go into biz. Why do you think NTU's biz degrees are only 3 years? Because they also know its all just BS, they dont want to waste your time.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:58 AM
Unregistered

Smart choice. Luckily you did not listen to that Mr Idiot.

Quote:
I have also contemplating engineering versus business. I will be choosing business because I think it would be more useful.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Unregistered

Most of my friends are not doing as well as we had thought after graduating from EEE. We were all from NTU about a decade ago. Many changed career paths after working in the engineering industry for a few years. And no, none of them have become bankers. Because it is very hard for such a switch. But more about that later. Amongst my cohort, quite a handful have become teachers. I suppose some of them are doing well, having been promoted to subject heads or HODs. For the rest who remain in engineering, i would simply describe them in one word.....struggling. They work in electronic and semiconductor firms, with the majority of them as senior engineers. For those working in Singapore Technologies Electronics, I am sure you could approximate their salaries, since there are so many threads in this forum discussing their remunerations. It is typically late 3K to 4K region. The best of the lot barely crosses 5k. Then there are the popular choices such as Infineon (which conducted restructuring....Yes, retrenchment), Emerson, TECH, Micron etc. I think the luckier ones are those in semi-conductors. They probably earn 5-6K. Those who chose to work in electronics firm probably suffer the most. Retrenchment is often on the cards. When I was a student, they often say the scholars would study EEE. But i think times have changed. Hard to survive as an engineer. Only a handful made it to engineering manager....earning 7-8K. I concur with the person who mentioned that he/she would not advise his/her children to read engineering. I would not too.

Between EEE and accountancy....Go for accountancy if u can. I have friends who screwed up the course and got just a pass in the degree. But the nature of their industry is that they are usually able to survive. After working for 2 torturous years in the Big 4, many have since become internal auditors or accountants in MNCs. Can fetch 7-8K on the average.

Quote:
Smart choice. Luckily you did not listen to that Mr Idiot.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
who the hell wants to switch from accountancy to engineering even if it is possible.
wake up your idea !
TS u should be prepared to work for looooooooooooong working hours. Be prepared to lose your sleep.

Choose one:
Money or sleep.

To me, having a decent job is good enuff. I would choose eee over acct. my friends are struggling in the big4 as the stress level over there is wayyy higher.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
TS u should be prepared to work for looooooooooooong working hours. Be prepared to lose your sleep.

Choose one:
Money or sleep.

To me, having a decent job is good enuff. I would choose eee over acct. my friends are struggling in the big4 as the stress level over there is wayyy higher.
What makes you think all engineers have luxurious working hours?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Unregistered

If you see your friends struggling in the big 4, they are probably in the first two years of their auditing & accounting career. They will usually settle for a more sustainable job by the 4th or 5th year, as internal auditors, accountants etc. By then, they will be earning around 6-8K.....and enjoying a better quality of life.

Quote:

Choose one:
Money or sleep.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Unregistered

Accountancy no doubt.

Grades are not very important for the big four as they always need people, especially fresh grads. Just a second lower class honour is sufficient to secure you an interview with at least one of the big fours. Slog out one or two years, and you will have a stabilised career.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Unregistered

that basically sums it all up....

Quote:
Accountancy no doubt.

Grades are not very important for the big four as they always need people, especially fresh grads. Just a second lower class honour is sufficient to secure you an interview with at least one of the big fours. Slog out one or two years, and you will have a stabilised career.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Accountancy no doubt.

Its three years now dude. Check out the new qp

It seems it will be harder to be qualified in the future.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Unregistered

there are no hard and fast rules whether it is one year or three years. I left PwC after 1 year to join the corporate finance arm in a local bank.

Quote:
Its three years now dude. Check out the new qp

It seems it will be harder to be qualified in the future.