LSE Economics or NTU Accountancy and Business - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

LSE Economics or NTU Accountancy and Business

Old 04-06-2013, 02:38 AM
Unregistered

I am afraid I may become your boss in a few year's time. haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
now i can see why you can't get govt scholarship despite stellar results. you lack some key attributes: humility, eq etc. a far cry from my PSC scholar colleagues and bosses.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:27 PM

zenstars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
now i can see why you can't get govt scholarship despite stellar results. you lack some key attributes: humility, eq etc. a far cry from my PSC scholar colleagues and bosses.

Hello CSLee...

I think you mixed up and got the wrong person. I am the original poster and I am always logged on (-: I didn't post as an unregistered guest and made the previous posts..And not sure who is the unidentified person.

As for why I didn't get a govt scholarship. I thank you for your feedback, and of course agree that humility is a key trait.

Thank you for responding on the thread nonetheless.

Last edited by zenstars; 04-06-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstars View Post
Hello all,

I am in some dire need of advice, because I feel rather lost and confused about my future.

I got an offer from LSE Economics. I originally intended to go on a scholarship, but didn't manage to secure a govt scholarship. I am now left with the options of going LSE self-financed and to stay local and study a double degree in Accountancy and Business at NTU.

Going to LSE will cost about 150K - 200K, and my family isn't super rich, just the typical heartlander family staying in HDB 5-room.

Can anyone tell me the career prospect of an LSE graduate? People kept telling me "oh you can go into investment banking and earn a lot of money", but honestly speaking, isn't it very tough to get into the good front office roles?

I will only go to LSE if I know that the future career prospect is great, and it is worth the initial investment in school fees. Any advice from you guys who are already working and know more information?

Thank you!
Go to LSE! I am studying in the UK now. Almost everyone that I know who is averaging a first class have a summer internship with a BB front office firm. 20% of the econs student in LSE gets a first class. I am not sure what is the percentage for NTU but I can guarantee that it would be a lot harder. If you want to do investment banking, the choice is pretty clear IMO. Every year JP morgan front office in London has 40-50 places. In Singapore, probably 1-2. You might think that there is a larger pool of applicants in UK. However, IB only recruit from 5 schools in the UK, thus the actual pool is a lot smaller and thus it is relatively easier to get a top job than in Singapore.

Though it would really depend on you family finances. If they still can afford, I would think it is a worthwhile investment. Speak to your seniors, I believe they can give very good advice. Look at linkedin profiles of LSE Econs Singaporean students.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Unregistered

Take the bet, you are too young to be conservative.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:19 PM
towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Go to LSE! I am studying in the UK now. Almost everyone that I know who is averaging a first class have a summer internship with a BB front office firm. 20% of the econs student in LSE gets a first class. I am not sure what is the percentage for NTU but I can guarantee that it would be a lot harder. If you want to do investment banking, the choice is pretty clear IMO. Every year JP morgan front office in London has 40-50 places. In Singapore, probably 1-2. You might think that there is a larger pool of applicants in UK. However, IB only recruit from 5 schools in the UK, thus the actual pool is a lot smaller and thus it is relatively easier to get a top job than in Singapore.

Though it would really depend on you family finances. If they still can afford, I would think it is a worthwhile investment. Speak to your seniors, I believe they can give very good advice. Look at linkedin profiles of LSE Econs Singaporean students.
+1. Go to LSE. It really is a much more WOW factor on your cv than local. It is also much easier to do well in UK than Singapore, contrary to popular belief. The standard in UK is lower but for some strange reason it has a better reputation.

Take a student loan. Try applying to non govt scholarships or bursaries, like ngee ann kongsi or hokkien huay kuan. There might also be scholarships available in your GRC, go check on that. Then when you are in London, you can apply to uni-affiliated scholarships as well. I knew someone in my year who managed to get 3-4 scholarships. Not super high value each, but managed to recoup about half the cost. Then, you can also work part time. The course load is very light, I honestly had about 12-15 hours of classes a week in total, not including all the classes I skipped. I still got a first class.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:25 PM
Banned

warning can only hope to improve

Quote:
I am not sure what is the percentage for NTU but I can guarantee that it would be a lot harder.
yup, this is true. I reckon ~5%. and that's why I always encourage people to go overseas for undergrad if possible.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:17 PM
Unregistered

NTU double degree in biz and accountancy cant make it. Better to go smu where they train students to be more vocal, knowledgable+gain more international exposure
Old 08-09-2014, 06:29 AM
Unregistered

The reputation of SMU is on the decline man... Just look at the forums all around
Old 08-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
NTU double degree in biz and accountancy cant make it. Better to go smu where they train students to be more vocal, knowledgable+gain more international exposure
Oh look the same insecure smu mouthpiece from the "SMU economics or NTU Business" thread is starting to infest this one as well. LOLOLOL. Go back to mugging lah. I see you're not really that bright, so you need to prepare extra hard for class part tomorrow, if not you will look like a fool in front of your vocal and knowledgeable peers.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The reputation of SMU is on the decline man... Just look at the forums all around
Forum posts are most of the time made by trolls that have no idea what they are saying and feed on the rage and tears of others. Straits times would be a more accurate gauge. That is if you bother reading.

Quote:
Oh look the same insecure smu mouthpiece from the "SMU economics or NTU Business" thread is starting to infest this one as well. LOLOLOL. Go back to mugging lah. I see you're not really that bright, so you need to prepare extra hard for class part tomorrow, if not you will look like a fool in front of your vocal and knowledgeable peers.
Oh look, another paranoid fool trying to compare different uni;s to see which one is better. No one mentioned here which uni they are from, but judging by your intellectual capacity, you won't even survive the first few hours studying in a university.

We need more construction workers and road sweepers you know. Your'e more than welcome to join