Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff


University college Dublin(Kaplan)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 16-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Omg Omg is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
Omg is on a distinguished road
Default University college Dublin(Kaplan)

I'm thinking of taking up a a degree in management at Kaplan under this uni.
Can anyone advice me if it's recognize in stat board like CPF, WDA etc I hope to obtain a degree ASAP. Like 18mth n recognize By WDA



SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omg View Post
I'm thinking of taking up a a degree in management at Kaplan under this uni.
Can anyone advice me if it's recognize in stat board like CPF, WDA etc I hope to obtain a degree ASAP. Like 18mth n recognize By WDA
Nope.. Defintiely not recognise.. Only 18months, wat can you learn?? Equivalent to a diploma holder.. The stat boards usually hire short express-term degree holders who spent took less than 2years studing if they went overseas on campus as a fulltime student...

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 17-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omg View Post
I'm thinking of taking up a a degree in management at Kaplan under this uni.
Can anyone advice me if it's recognize in stat board like CPF, WDA etc I hope to obtain a degree ASAP. Like 18mth n recognize By WDA
Very few stat boards accept foreign and corresponding degrees like those from Kaplan.

Though few, there are still some considerations:

a) People's Association: they accept foreign degree taking from corresponding places such as MDIS, SIM, Kaplan, MDS, etc etc etc. However, depending on your grades, you may be offered a pay quite low. Most importantly, you need to work from the ground (with GRLs)

b) Hospitals: Tan Tock Seng, SGH, in executive posts that supports the auxiliary and main medical team. They don't pay too shabbily.

c) WDA: I have some friends who have corresponding degrees from Kaplan, but I think they got in under very special circumstances because of their experiences and useful contacts that are needed at work. But that's my guess.

d) LTA: I also have friends who are being referred inside, who have foreign degrees. But they are very few of them.

e) SMRT: this may not be a stat board, but govt-linked company nonetheless. You can have a foreign degree there.



SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nope.. Defintiely not recognise.. Only 18months, wat can you learn?? Equivalent to a diploma holder.. The stat boards usually hire short express-term degree holders who spent took less than 2years studing if they went overseas on campus as a fulltime student...
so you can't learn anything if it is a short course in singapore, but it is not an issue if you studied on-campus? hmm...
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 30-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

let's be realistic.

if you study at NUS, NTU, etc, the fastest degree is probably 3 years
and that is normally without honours.

if you want a respectable degree that
has value enough to open nice doors for you
in the corporate or public sector,
you not only need to put in the time and effort,
but also good results at the end of the course,
else you can buy one from a degree mill.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 14-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Took this UCD degree in Kaplan....and got into one of the stat boards u mentioned...it all depends on luck....and ur interview skills. There's no such thing as recongise or not recongised.....it all depends on the person selecting the candidates if he/she had preferences for local or foreign grads...and how well the candidates perform on interview day
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 14-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
so you can't learn anything if it is a short course in singapore, but it is not an issue if you studied on-campus? hmm...
There is no contradition here.

If it is a distance learning or external degree course via a medium such as MDIS/Kaplan or even SIM, the degree will never be comparable to studying for the degree at the University itself. Even if the external degree providers claim that course is accredited by ABC agency or XYX University, it is inconsequential. It is not even a poor cousin to the foreign University which it is trying to peg. And if one takes time to examine the quality of students enrolling in such courses, the entry criterion and the learning environment, it is not hard to discern why they are a far cry from NUS/NTU/SMU.

But there are compelling reasons for their existence though. There is a sizeable pool of people who arent able enough to study in local uni and not rich enough to fly half the globe to read overseas degree (God knows how exhorbitant the fees are). And between a MDIS degree holder & poly graduate, i would think the former has an edge. Furthermore, SMEs and a significant number of MNCs do consider such "graduates", so the demand is there. And not forgeting the fact that we ought to provide a conducive environment for those who want to upgrade for the betterment of their future.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 15-04-2012, 02:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

not recognised in ministries... there was once when HR told me to reject this internal-transfer job applicant (mso/diploma level) with MDIS p/t degree.

ministries also reject those who flunk O'level english and math, even if they have obtained a p/t overseas degree...

i understand if they do this to protect our local graduates from NUS/NTU/SMU... but pity late bloomers...

singapore can be quite cruel...
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 15-04-2012, 06:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I used to work in a ministry where my work was to evaluate people coming in with overseas/distance learning degrees.

There are three reasons why civil service and stat boards do not appreciate overseas/distance learning degrees:

1. Protectionism - local graduates must have jobs. The government cannot control who the private sector hire but they definitely can control who the civil service and stat boards hire.

2. Protectionism 2 - the civil service and stat boards are filled with local graduates, and when they are asked to hire someone, who do you think they will hire? Someone who graduated from a familiar local university or someone who graduated from an unfamiliar overseas university?

3. Lack of understanding of overseas education system - unlike Singapore which aims to have only 25% university graduates, and hence the small number of universities, first world countries' philosophy is educate their people to their fullest potential. Hence they have a lot of universities. Not every university can be Harvard or MIT. There are first tier, second tier universities and so on.

There is no department in the civil service to evaluate these overseas universities and tell the ministries and stat boards which are good and which are bad. The decisions are left to the HR department of each ministry and stat board. Some HR kiasi and thus reject all overseas/distance learning degrees to play safe. Moreover, their directive is to hire local graduates, so why waste time on researching overseas universities? Some HR is more open minded or had done their research on overseas universities. It is because of this that we always read about different experiences encountered by overseas / distance learning graduates at different government employers.

In the private sector, aka the real world, your performance is more important. If you can't perform during the probation period, you will asked to leave, local graduate or not.

So my advice to people who can't get into local universities is not to hear from the naysayers. If you can afford it, go overseas for your degree. If you can't, a distance learning degree is just as good. What's more important is the knowledge you learn from it and how to apply it in your career. If your aim is just to pass and get a paper certificate, then no university can help you. Lastly do your research on the foreign university, whether it is a first tier university in their home country.


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 15-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I beg to differ with regards to the phrase "a distance learning degree is just as good". I would say, that is it "better than nothing".

For those who manage to fly overseas to top tier Univerities like Carnegie Mellon, Imperial, Edinburgh, McGill....i would say, the sky is the limit for u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I used to work in a ministry where my work was to evaluate people coming in with overseas/distance learning degrees.

There are three reasons why civil service and stat boards do not appreciate overseas/distance learning degrees:

1. Protectionism - local graduates must have jobs. The government cannot control who the private sector hire but they definitely can control who the civil service and stat boards hire.

2. Protectionism 2 - the civil service and stat boards are filled with local graduates, and when they are asked to hire someone, who do you think they will hire? Someone who graduated from a familiar local university or someone who graduated from an unfamiliar overseas university?

3. Lack of understanding of overseas education system - unlike Singapore which aims to have only 25% university graduates, and hence the small number of universities, first world countries' philosophy is educate their people to their fullest potential. Hence they have a lot of universities. Not every university can be Harvard or MIT. There are first tier, second tier universities and so on.

There is no department in the civil service to evaluate these overseas universities and tell the ministries and stat boards which are good and which are bad. The decisions are left to the HR department of each ministry and stat board. Some HR kiasi and thus reject all overseas/distance learning degrees to play safe. Moreover, their directive is to hire local graduates, so why waste time on researching overseas universities? Some HR is more open minded or had done their research on overseas universities. It is because of this that we always read about different experiences encountered by overseas / distance learning graduates at different government employers.

In the private sector, aka the real world, your performance is more important. If you can't perform during the probation period, you will asked to leave, local graduate or not.

So my advice to people who can't get into local universities is not to hear from the naysayers. If you can afford it, go overseas for your degree. If you can't, a distance learning degree is just as good. What's more important is the knowledge you learn from it and how to apply it in your career. If your aim is just to pass and get a paper certificate, then no university can help you. Lastly do your research on the foreign university, whether it is a first tier university in their home country.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flinders University or UWA Simplicity Education and Personal Growth 2 04-10-2011 08:38 PM
Monash university (clayton) OR University of melbourne? garpy Education and Personal Growth 3 23-07-2011 02:35 PM
University graduate working part-time? Help! yk89 Income and Jobs 38 22-04-2011 11:08 AM
SIM or Kaplan..??? Intrue88 Education and Personal Growth 1 20-12-2010 11:07 AM
Cambridge or local university? Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 4 18-03-2008 09:10 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,465 Replies, 2,020,969 Views
HR-related Jobs - How much are you... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,060 Replies, 252,458 Views
Process Technician/Operation... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
135 Replies, 80,471 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,685 Replies, 633,462 Views
Civil/Public Sector -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
211 Replies, 41,440 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,812 Replies, 2,498,070 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
395 Replies, 153,716 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 5,365 Views
How much does a social media... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 4,783 Views
Marketing, Brand Managers, Marcoms... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
43 Replies, 15,123 Views
Fresh Grad Masters ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 330 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
917 Replies, 496,625 Views
Relationship manager / Personal... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
45 Replies, 1,973 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
207 Replies, 304,734 Views
Anyone working in NTU... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 30,126 Views
Calling it quits! ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
212 Replies, 40,290 Views
How much savings do you have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,090 Replies, 287,090 Views
Corp Comms and PR people pls come... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
36 Replies, 6,113 Views
is 3rd class honors useful? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
70 Replies, 47,220 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,041 Replies, 254,446 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,456 Replies, 459,511 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
654 Replies, 308,633 Views
Starting degree in unisim
3 Replies, 397 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
354 Replies, 253,477 Views
I (29 years old) am planning my... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
52 Replies, 2,623 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
549 Replies, 135,684 Views
Graduate Dilemma ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
35 Replies, 2,852 Views
Does it make sense to leave... ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 5,019 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 40,418 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2