Thinking of doing an Digital Media diploma/degree? Read this first. - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Thinking of doing an Digital Media diploma/degree? Read this first.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Unregistered

https://forums.salary.sg/education-pe...html#post18689

Quote:
For a good lead developer with 2 to 3 credited games of reasonable standard, the salary can hit lower range of 5 digits. However, most newbies start off as a junior programmer who get paid around $2K or there-about. A lot of low value jobs are also being outsourced to overseas.

For graphic artist, let me just say that it is not easy to find work for games development company. A lot of modeling and design work is being outsourced to overseas, which is cheaper. The locals are mainly skilled artist who QCs the finished artwork and do some touch up and minor modification when requested. Not really for fresh graduates.

The talented and highly specialized would have joined the animation industry which, I understand, is subsidized by the government. Without subsidies, I highly doubt these companies will still be staying in Singapore. Also, most of these companies will in-source a lot of their staff to Singapore, given that their salary is subsidized. Local hires generally do not get the same package as their own staff.

Old 31-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Singapore Animator

Default Its not so bad. ;)

Ok, its time for some balance voices
This is my 2nd year of working as an animator, and I'm still surviving
Granted, the poly courses really under prepare students for the real world, way way under. Granted the companies are really little, and not easy to get it, easy to be kicked out.
And yes, the pay will not be much, no bonus etc.
But its not so dreadful to be an animator or the arts.

Quality of life
My 1st year of being an animator is super long hours, slept in office regularly and worked at least 1 weekend. But that's because I was really bad. Now, i can go home on time 3 out of 5 days minimum. Ok, but i hv to admit, i should have spend more time polishing my skills still.

As for the gatherings, well it can be dreadful sometimes. But working happily 8 hours a day, i think I'm better off then my banking frens who dread every moment of their work but only enjoy the pay day. Of course that's me. I'm happy w a simple life and hawker centre food. If you dream of a Prada bag, this is probably not the place for you.

The $$$$$$$

I just wanna emphasize that, if we work for companies, whatever we create there, is not our property. We created it, but we don't own it. Which is why 'Nightmare before Christmas' becomes Disney's. This means that you can be the creator, but you will get nothing out of it, if you just work for hire. You wouldnt enjoy the peaks or royalties your creation can generate.

Which brings me to my point: If you target to be just a work-for-hire, you will always subject urself to being underpaid and all. Worse, you dun own ur own creation ( creative people tends to be very anal about this, and why of coz).

So my encouragement is, if you wanna be in this field, target to one day do your own thing and have your own company. That's probably the only way to own it. Develop your own IP.
If it sounds very businessy, it is. But working means business, an ours is a fun business. I'm not saying its easy, its bloody difficult but its possible. But dun expect to be an work for hire and lead a comfty, money plentiful life. There are people like tt, but quite rarely. But come on, more and more non-art jobs are getting less and less peaks too *disclaimer: you do need to be very very very good in your stuff though, if not all these are just rubbish talk .

All the best

Old 31-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singapore Animator View Post
Ok, its time for some balance voices
This is my 2nd year of working as an animator, and I'm still surviving
Granted, the poly courses really under prepare students for the real world, way way under. Granted the companies are really little, and not easy to get it, easy to be kicked out.
And yes, the pay will not be much, no bonus etc.
But its not so dreadful to be an animator or the arts.

Quality of life
My 1st year of being an animator is super long hours, slept in office regularly and worked at least 1 weekend. But that's because I was really bad. Now, i can go home on time 3 out of 5 days minimum. Ok, but i hv to admit, i should have spend more time polishing my skills still.

As for the gatherings, well it can be dreadful sometimes. But working happily 8 hours a day, i think I'm better off then my banking frens who dread every moment of their work but only enjoy the pay day. Of course that's me. I'm happy w a simple life and hawker centre food. If you dream of a Prada bag, this is probably not the place for you.

The $$$$$$$

I just wanna emphasize that, if we work for companies, whatever we create there, is not our property. We created it, but we don't own it. Which is why 'Nightmare before Christmas' becomes Disney's. This means that you can be the creator, but you will get nothing out of it, if you just work for hire. You wouldnt enjoy the peaks or royalties your creation can generate.

Which brings me to my point: If you target to be just a work-for-hire, you will always subject urself to being underpaid and all. Worse, you dun own ur own creation ( creative people tends to be very anal about this, and why of coz).

So my encouragement is, if you wanna be in this field, target to one day do your own thing and have your own company. That's probably the only way to own it. Develop your own IP.
If it sounds very businessy, it is. But working means business, an ours is a fun business. I'm not saying its easy, its bloody difficult but its possible. But dun expect to be an work for hire and lead a comfty, money plentiful life. There are people like tt, but quite rarely. But come on, more and more non-art jobs are getting less and less peaks too *disclaimer: you do need to be very very very good in your stuff though, if not all these are just rubbish talk .

All the best
Don't be stupid.. Dun waste time in this field... In Singapore, everybody needs $$ to survive.. How to properly provide for your parents, wife and kids... If you are making peanuts, how to afford the sky high prices of the HDB flats these days..
All your dependents will blame you and look down on you for pursuing a cheap career... But well...if you are just alone and parents are no longer around and you don't want to settle down then i guess it's a great career to lack in i suppose....

Old 01-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Don't be stupid.. Dun waste time in this field... In Singapore, everybody needs $$ to survive.. How to properly provide for your parents, wife and kids... If you are making peanuts, how to afford the sky high prices of the HDB flats these days..
All your dependents will blame you and look down on you for pursuing a cheap career... But well...if you are just alone and parents are no longer around and you don't want to settle down then i guess it's a great career to lack in i suppose....
I like to compose classical music for the accordion. Can't make a single cent and my compositions are totally worthless, but I like. It's my full-time job, if you call it a job.

My brother likes to play tic-tac-toe and has memorized all the combinations of moves. Can't make a single cent but he likes. It's his full-time job, if you call it a job.

Passion feeds us!
Old 01-02-2012, 02:22 AM
Singapore Animator

Quote:
I hv stated my point clearly earlier: Target to start your own company, create and own your IP, so that you can earn thru the royalties and etc. Sky is the limit.
Its true that if you just wanna a media work as a day-job, it probably cant satisfy much material needs, n job stability is not as good as other kind of work.
And i will nv have a wife to take care of ( I'm a woman). Kudos to the man who took up the courage to be in our industry. Still, still, with whatever I hve, i can still give to my parents, save up and buy insurances.

As for the guy who writes music: record your song n music professionally, get the cover design done, make sure u copyright ur work 1st, put it in indie websites and itunes sell each song at 99cents per download. Make a lot of publicity(fb,twitter, ads...)
As of all business, profits are not for sure.
But at the very least u can make ur music buyable by people who have a dollar to spare.
Alternatively, bring ur music sheets to recording companies and see if they wanna buy it.
Or ask pubs, one by one if they will let u preform for them. That's how Jam Xiao got notices right?

Sorry abt the tic tit toe guy. If you can find a business model for that, please teach me

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 01-02-2012, 02:30 AM
Singapore Animator

Quote:
I like to compose classical music for the accordion. Can't make a single cent and my compositions are totally worthless, but I like. It's my full-time job, if you call it a job.

My brother likes to play tic-tac-toe and has memorized all the combinations of moves. Can't make a single cent but he likes. It's his full-time job, if you call it a job.

Passion feeds us!
You composition are not worthless. All composition are a part of you n the talent that overflows. Hence it is not worthless, whether it available for sales or not.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singapore Animator View Post
Target to start your own company, create and own your IP, so that you can earn thru the royalties and etc.
Straits Times: Local animators, look before you leap
Nov 14, 2010
By Irene Tham

You can count on two things to happen when a trend hits the peak of a hype cycle - publicity machines work themselves into a frenzy, and then a backlash occurs.

Over the past seven years, excitement had been drummed up for Singapore as the next animation and media capital. Government funds with eye-popping amounts - hundreds of millions of dollars - were created to finance new digital media projects. New companies threw their hats into the ring.

Since 2003, some 40 animation and visual effects companies have opened here. Among them: Lucasfilm's Singapore arm, which is on an expansion spree as it gears up to work on its new animation movie slated for global release in 2013.

Now that the fairy dust has settled - thanks in part to the economic crisis last year - it may be possible to analyse who is entitled to dream big in animation.

In the last year, at least three home-grown firms with animation aspirations have had their hopes dashed due to cash-flow problems.

Two have folded, while one - which spoke to The Sunday Times on condition of anonymity - is on the brink of bankruptcy.

No longer around are Big Communications and Mega Media - both 10-year-old media companies.
Old 20-02-2012, 12:30 AM
StormShadow

For the animation folk, I can only think of the following:

It's all about how long + much you are prepared to loose to finally gain your dreams. Yes you might be willing to be a spartan like Gerard Butler in 300, you might kill a thousand Persians but will you kill Xerxes?

In all industries no matter what field, three key fundamentals remain

1) How good you are
2) Who you know
3) What's the market size

So if we are going to do an objective assessment of the SG animation industry it will be this:

Assuming artist A has cleared point 1) and is at the top of his game, has slogged his way and fought tooth and nail overcommed poverty somehow manages to scrap together and company and sustain it and not go bankrupt in the process developing his/her IP. then we move on to...

point 2): Artist A knows some local big wig B in the local singapore media scene. sadly the big wig is also trying to survive and in reality this big wig B is fighting both the cheaper FT companies and high end superior MNC ang moh firms. that means he is in the middle ground...i.e nowhere. yes he might have made it in the eyes of Artist A, but little does Artist A know that this big wig B is facing problems of his own -> he is in no man's land....he has worked his guts out to find out that after all his effort, financial sacrifice and disrespect he has endured...he is nowhere near the MNC ang moh IDM firms...and worse of all...he cannot compete with the cheaper FT firms who are on par if not even (for some) superior to what he can offer...and let's face it...you don't think the MNCs and FT firms aren't trying to develop their own IP...?

Everyone is trying to develop their own IP...they just don't last long enough financially to be able to do it...or they are trying to get someone they admire in the industry to help give their IP a 'push' little do they know that someone also trying DESPERATELY to succeed in creating (and we are not even at the marketing stage or commercialization stage -i.e where you see fiscal results or even profits -if any) their own IP....

point 3) After doing point 1 and 2 both the big wig and artist A will both come to realise that on top of their present problems they have an even worst one which cannot be solved by their efforts at all...the lack of a local market to 'consumer' their goods. if there are no consumers there are no profits. Putting up your animated short on youtube is not commercialization, even if it has thousands of hits. Unless you aim for youtube partnership to earn ad dollars...which is another game altogether and equally gruelling...

then at this point artist A and local big wig will say "lets try to market out great IP overseas!!!" till they reach the shores of foreign markets and realize there are 100 times the amount of competition, and artists there even sleep on their fren's couches just trying to get a break in the biz...then artist A and big wig will say FML, as it is just the same over there with 100 times the competition and 100 times the talent amount as well....and a foreign playing field where your operating costs are double what they are back home...

at this point you have 3 options:

Option A): Be Bitter, say FML and wish to be like Nicolas Cage in leaving Las Vegas where he goes there to drink till he dies till he meets a hot hooker and falls in love...but wait that is a Hollywood version... lets just say you will be a bitter man/woman/creature...

Option B): Come back to Singapore with your tail behind your back...work in another industry whatever industry as long as you don't have to look at the screen to create aniamted **** anymore...**** now you really hate thsi ****...

Option C): Invent a time travel machine and go back to slap yourself into submission so that you avert the above disasters and switch / change careers no matter what the cost to your ego which is so defensive at this point that even the whisper of a baby spider will shatter it into a gazillion trillion pieces of jaded angel dust ash that will all back to your flesh and pierce you like a boss....

Red and Blue pill...as always...
Old 20-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Unregistered

Based on personal experience?
Old 20-02-2012, 01:36 AM
StormShadow

No from careful observation of some contacts I know who do animation / went into it or are still in it. I am quite fortunate to say that I have steered clear of this disaster zone.

Had a choice to study DMD, TP or something else when I was a young and impresionable kido, thankfuly I stuck to my guns and didnt get swayed by any media hype etc etc etc ...

I work in media but am an account director. I handle projects and essentially plan campaigns for clients the pay is decent around 5-7k per month but the stress is insane, but it is definetly better than if I had gone down the f**ED IMD route....heng sia...

but now I am thinking of doing something else with more work life balance as I am in my late twneties liaozz..hehe