Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Being ruthless to be rich
View Single Post
Old 30-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Unregistered

Since you are now so rich, are you planning to buy a GCB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
From the tone of your post below, must say I do detect a hint of boastfulness. But that aside, to help yourself answer your own questions are these questions:

1. Look around you, How many older colleagues are there and how long have they worked in the company? That is, do people in your line of work last the distance? If you are working in the admin service (civil service) then yes perhaps, there is high likelihood that there is longevity in your job.

2. Once you established that you are not likely to be retrenched, then you can think about splurging on non-essential big ticket items like a BMW and a condo. Both are non essential because there are cheaper and perhaps better alternatives. If you are indeed in the CS, nobody cares a hoot about the type of car you drive nor the condo you live in unless you keep boasting about them. So do these big ticket items matter in your line of work?

3. You already know yourself to be a "good" guy. That means taking on "alpha male" personna on a daily basis will only cause stresses in your life. You may not like (or worse hate) the role you eventually get yourself into. That could also lead to early / premature retirement either from burnout or stress. The question is : Do you want to aim for the top spot or the sweet spot? The sweet spot is a point in your career ladder where you enjoy your work and at the same time are comfortably remunerated.

4. Do you believe in work life balance?

I have worked 32 years in one job/one company. I am in my sweet spot in my career and I am looking at working till 62. I started with a HDB flat and a jap car when I got married. Now we have 2 condos, 2 cars, and a passive income of $160k pa and yearly savings of $350k to $400k. Networth fast approaching $7M.

Best of all, I still shop at NTUC and Sheng Siong. Lim Kopi at my regular coffee shop. I dont wear fancy clothes and dont give a hoot if people think I am one old uncle - which of course I am. I am living the life I want and not one that my associates expect of me.