Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Working in a bank
View Single Post
Old 17-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Unregistered

Default Do what you are passionate in!

Hi Eric,

You aiming to work in a bank, and front office is a good goal. Realistically, it is a lot harder to get into those roles that you are keen in and I speak from experience. The question you should ask yourself is, from where you are, are you going to be able to find a company who will give you an opportunity in the financial world. If so, how can you use that as a stepping stone for those roles you are looking to.

Alternatively, I see that you are interested in trading, if you become passionate in trading, I believe that trading is one of the best jobs in the world. I don't mean trying to get a trader job, again realistically, its really tough. What I am refering to is keeping your 9-5 government job, and trading at night. What can you trade? I might suggest US options and the forex market. These markets are recession proof as you can buy and sell any time of the year or in good or bad times. They are also very active in the night from 9pm onwards.

I have a friend who had a 9-5pm job as an engineer and developed a passion for trading. He did trading at night for a bout 3-4 years almost everyday. He eventually mastered the market and is now a full time trader for himself. He easily earns US1000 a day while spending about 3-4 hrs trading forex and us stock options. The rest of the day is to pursue his other interests.

Do think about what you are really passionate in, its easier to pursue your passions than to pursue "big salary" jobs. I am an engineer by training, I was blessed to switch to front office in a bank and now in the front office of a global financial firm dealing with derivatives. My goal is simply to be like my friend who is a full time trader. I have a strong passion for it and I believe I will be there in around 2yrs.

All the best
N. Anthony