Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 01:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I recently got a job interview as a fresh graduate. However, a firm doing civil lit wants me to work mon-sat with OT each day, and paying below market rate. If it was a corporate firm, i wouldn't mind as it would be easier to get into in house. Im still looking for other job alternatives at the mean time as being a lawyer is not my goal at the end of 10 years. Are there any other options for me?

ditch it. any firm that makes you work from Mon to Saturday is not worth your salt, and frankly, is full of ****.

you're a lawyer, not a call centre operator or a sweatshop worker in china

as a professional services firm, it is disgraceful for the firm to be stipulating that its employees work Saturdays.

sure, as a lawyer, hours are long. we get it. if that means staying until 3 am everyday for one month so that a deal is closed or a case goes to trial, so be it. you work for as long as required until the job is done.

but that does not mean they can extend official working hours until Sat.

we're members of a profession, not hourly wage workers

(No offence to hourly wage workers at all - my gripe is with exploitative firms like these who treat their associates like one).