Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How rich/poor am I compared to people my age(27)?
View Single Post
Old 19-05-2016, 10:34 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am 24 years old, in my final year of Uni. Through investments, savings from young etc I have 43k in bank, stocks, bonds. But almost all of my peers are nowhere close, many have no savings and some prudent ones have about 10k.

Good job on saving 40k at 27 YO though, already pretty difficult. Let's say one saves 2k a month (which is a lot), you need 1.5 years to save that amount. Double that if you only save 1k a month.

Maybe the next step would be to start investing. You can start off safe by investing in corporate bonds available on the SGX which can easily net you a 4-5% per annum. After 5 years, you would earn at least 25% of what you invested (5 x 5%). Slowly build up a portfolio and you can have passive income of a few hundred dollars a month.
Thanks, but I think passive investments are too slow a way to make money unless you have alot of money to invest. I feel it is more for older people. We should look for more ways to actively make money at this age.