Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed for a 30 yo male diploma holder for the next stage of his life / career
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 10:06 AM

p0496418 is on a distinguished road
Default Advice needed for a 30 yo male diploma holder for the next stage of his life / career

it's gonna be a super long post. so thanks to all for reading everything and offering your views / suggestions.

my info:
30 yo male diploma holder (from Singapore Polytechnic)
46k/pa (as stated in my IRAS Notice of Assessment)
currently employed in a ministry in the Civil Service. i thank my lucky stars bcos idk how i got the job when i said no to all the interviewers' questions LOL

O-level (L1R4): 22 points, (R5): 30 points with 4 credit pass in Eng / Chi / E-Math / Comb Sci. yes i know it's terrible, but back in the past, i had no one to guide me on how important studies is in SG due to our lack of natural resources, paper chase and rat race. i also didnt like to study for the sake of studying and furthermore it didnt help when i had an undetected medical condition which i think prevented me from studying to the fullest of my ability.

Poly GPA: around 2.5, lucky that my GPA wasnt shown on my dip and transcript.

my NS medical status: im currently Permanent PES E9L9 due to lifetime incurable sleeping disorder (one that makes me fall asleep uncontrollably in the day). i seriously think i have no more reservist / IPPT obligations as i gotten my Reservist Long Service Award (usually only given to ppl who have clocked 5 High Key ICTs or more)

with all the above info in mind, especially my results and medical status...what options do i have if im seeking a job that pays 4k/pm to 5k/pm at most (i just want higher pay but am not greedy to the extent of seeking 5 figures monthly)? below are the only possibilities i can think of:

1) stay at my current job with an annual increment of $120, which will probably take me another 7 to 8 years to hit 4k.

2) sign on as an uniformed personnel, which honestly i think i cant due to my PES status?

3) apply to be MOE teacher. but it would mean that i have to restart my paycheck all over again from $1800+ as i only have a dip and they would give me GEO2 scale.

4) try Oil and Gas industry? i dont have any lobang and i dont like long working hours so i think this option is out.

5) try working in banks? same as 4) i dont have business background and dont like long working hours. also absolutely hate auditing and accounting. guess this option is out as well too.

6) go for further studies? but that would mean i can only enrol in unisim due to my poor poly results and the fact that im only interested in Civil Service jobs due to its good work life balance.

7) be a professional gambler / trader? the most LOL of them all.

TLDR: just read the bolded parts.