Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Need advice switching from Engineering to Financial sector
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 12:18 PM

jetblue is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice switching from Engineering to Financial sector

Hi all... I have read many inspiring stories about engineers who successfully left engineering and made it well and good in other fields, particularly in the finance sector - investment banking / trading, etc.

I have thought about changing for a long time and I guess it is time now. I have worked in an engineering consultancy firm for about 2 years and I am not happy with the scope of work and the pay. The pay increment is just too little and too slow - judging from my other seniors who have worked for a lot more years. I guess I should move on while I still can.

I really need advice as to where I can go to - which positions accept an Engineering degree? As for me, I am interested in equities and derivative trading. I have browsed through jobs for weeks and most require experience or a relevant degree in finance/banking/economics. I do not mind starting low and work my way through. I am keen to learn.

Any advice is appreciated.