Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed!
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 06:46 PM

Fearoftheunknown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowishes View Post
I'm interested in PR, what is it like working in comms? My English grade is B4. Does it affect my chances?
PR/Comms usually involves drafting of press release, update and maintain corporate website, news media coverage, oversee relations of both internal and external stakeholders, run events, copy-writing, etc.

You need to write well to save your life. To answer your question, English grade is everything (why do you think mass comm requires a distinction in English??!), and even if they can disregard your O level English grade, they will most likely administer a written test of sorts. Your English is at best average only; thus even with a comms degree you may realise that you do not have the aptitude to write well, which is quintessential in Communications. You'll be shocked to know that some private companies use English O level grades to shortlist candidates to the next round. You can expect public sectors to be alot more stringent.

People think it's easy to get into comms, but it couldn't be further away from the naked truth. PR/Comms can be very demanding. Many are called to go into comms but only a few are chosen. If meeting new people is the only reason why you are interested in PR/Comms, then I think you should seriously consider doing events or HR instead. You get to meet new people all the time and the work is less demanding, as compared to Comms.