Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed!
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowishes View Post
I'm interested in PR, what is it like working in comms? My English grade is B4. Does it affect my chances?
Are you looking a PR in the advertising/PR way? In Min/SB their PR and Corp Comms depts do mainly media relations and some events or roadshows. At most places, Div 2 officers are support officers. They don't do any comms plan or events planning, just the support work like preparing news clippings, help to write a bit for their publications, prepare catering for events, etc. If these are what you don't mind doing for about a year or two, I think it is not a bad start if you really want to do comms. The salary range is about $2,053 - $3,260, it takes between 3-6 years for a promotion. Increment for me is 4% yearly and a promotion is less than 9%.

I joined my current company as they had an op's team for events and international relations. Then a re-org happened, I got absorbed into comms. I graduated with a tourism diploma. To me, as long as the company is willing to give you the opportunity, I don't see any harm in trying to see if it fits you. A year later, if you decided to further your studies, they might even offer you a scholarship (local 4 yrs bond, overseas 6 yrs bond). As long as you do your work well and have a good attitude, I can't see why you can't progress from there. Caveat: I don't suck balls.