Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed!
View Single Post
Old 28-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ah I see. Now that put things into context. With a diploma, you will be going into Public Sector as a Div 2 officer. Since you're from biz background, the most obvious choice would be HR.

In general, life of a Div 2 officer in public sector tend to be better than Div 1 (graduates) - more work life balance. Good for those who are thinking of pursuing part time degrees. Pay wise should be around the same as private, with annual increments. Salary package definitely not as good as Div 1 officers (graduates), and career development wise will also stagnant in time to come.

Bear in mind that those who are ambitious should go to the private for a better chance to shine. Public sector will limit your career progression should you have no degree. Private may also not consider your experience in public sector to be relevant, should you want to jump out in the future. In terms of experience, I would say you could learn more from the private. But if you have the heart to serve people, do join the public then.
This is a very good post TS should listen.

Just to add for most dipolma grads I highly recommend join public sector if possible. Work life and pay in general is much better. Sure, there will be the rare make it big diploma grad, but generally i look at the poly people I know at my age, those that join government have a much better life and stability.