Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed!
View Single Post
Old 27-01-2015, 08:50 PM

Fearoftheunknown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As a communications graduate, my advice is to really think about whether you'd enjoy a comms career before jumping into a comms degree.

On top of that, you don't need a comms degree to do comms. Just a pretty face, good language ability and an outgoing personality.
I disagree. Many comms positions do require at least 2-3 yrs of experience, in addition to having a degree. Thus it's alot more difficult to go into comms if you are just a business diploma holder. And I believe actions speak louder than words, in the sense that being competent in communications work triumphs an outgoing personality anytime.

Some people (my manager) think that just because they are outgoing and relate to people well, they can be qualified to do corp comms. Can't be further away from the truth if a corp comms manager fails to realise that he has to come up with a internal and external communications plan. Better still, the work that solely belongs to corp comms ended up being taken away from us and be given to other department because manager wants to maintain harmony