Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 17-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
with 5 years, my guess is about 4.5k, but you get 15+ months per year if bonuses are included. a HOD can get close to 100k a year. if you're good, you can be promoted to one within 5 years or so.

all the above are my educated guesses.
I am drawing $6k per month (w/o bonus included).My total compensation for last year was $90k.Not a great salary by any means but I try to live a simple lifestyle to compensate for my low salary e.g. live in a one room HDB flat & do not own a car or any expensive hobbies.I guess I am still able to cope.As for HODs,they earn more than the $100k that you quoted.For example a HOD with 10 years of experience draws $7k monthly excluding bonuses.Some non HOD teachers that I personally know of with 9-10 years of experience drew approximately $108k last year including bonuses.
But if you ask any teacher about the greatest challenges that he or she faces,it is usually never about the salary or monetary compensation.But for me sometimes I do feel discouraged especially my former classmates in school working as top lawyers or doctors or bankers command monthly salaries of more than 10 times my monthly pay.I guess it was a choice I made and no one forced me to be a teacher in the 1st place right?